U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our mid fifties and looking for a place in a warm climate. We envision it for occasional use now followed by November - April in a few years. We enjoy bicycle riding, long walks (hikes), theatre, cultural activities but don't want to live in the "city." We also want a place with little maintenance... somewhere where we can lock the door and disappear for months at a time. That probably sounds like traditional condo living. We currently live in NJ and have a second home in rural northwest Connecticut. Our only mistake in CT is that it is very isolated and we have trouble meeting people. We want our next place to be in a vibrant, well educated Jewish community where we can easily jump into the social scene. We're very flexible in price. Any thoughts?

Len
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM

2,652 posts, read 5,167,979 times
In OC, Irvine has the largest jewish community that I am aware of. But that ain't saying much, kind of like being the tallest midget as there are not many jews here in OC.

Woodbridge village and university park/ Turtle rock seem to be where much of the jewish population in centered. There are several new upscale mid & high rise condo developments along Jamboree road that may suit your housing needs, but in the current real estate enviroment you may want to hold off on a purchase. There are also many nice apt communities you can try in Irvine that would allow you to dip a toe in before taking the plunge.

Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:05 PM

16,801 posts, read 37,475,835 times
When it comes to Jews, this ain't back East. The largest concentration you'll find in So Cal will be in the Fairfax/Park La Brea districts of L.A.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM

452 posts, read 1,339,912 times
There are many Jewish people in Los Angeles. Pico-Robertson is the largest concentration, as well as the Fairfax District.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM

26,342 posts, read 89,702,939 times
Agoura Hills has an orthodox community. (Realize, not OC; west of the San Fernando Valley)

There are three temples between the 101 and Bell Canyon in West Hills also in the far west San Fernando Valley.

Encino, Sherman Oaks, North Hollywood, again not OC.

I got married at Stephen S. Wise Temple at Mulholland and the 405, so maybe Bel-Air, Sherman Oaks and Encino too.

I am pretty sure this topic has come up before (I think I remember how Jewish Fairfax wasn't anymore???), so search the threads.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:02 PM

7,205 posts, read 21,002,496 times
if you're looking to be around other jews in a similar situation, you're better buying in florida. although there are jews in OC, i wouldn't really call any area a jewish community. as you are probably aware, oc is very conservative and "WASPy". didn't reagan once say that OC was the place where good republicans go to die? I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, just letting you know. LA has MANY more jews and they are located throughout the city/county. there are also many jewish communities in la that others mentioned above. however, because real estate is so expensive here, i can't think of any jewish vacation communities. you may also consider san diego, as it has a lot of vacation properties, but it is more inline with OC than LA as far as jews and politics go. i'm not saying that you shouldn't continue looking for a vacation home here, but if being in a "well educated jewish community" is a make or break for you, you should really look elsewhere. if not, it is a great place to spend time and we do have fantastic weather. i live near the beach and it's in the mid 70s today. good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County