Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Maybe the land is too expensive for a Wal-Mart in those places.
This is the key reason. Ex-urban and rural areas are cheap. Developed urban areas aren't.

That's also a reason why there aren't that many in the LA basin either, yet they're practically everywhere in the IE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
People should buy less stuff and spend that money on real estate.
I bought a house 5 months ago ... I've been buying more nowadays. Granted, a lot of it is home improvement stuff, but still. I'm sure my money is helping the economy more, since it's being spent instead of saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I bought a house 5 months ago ... I've been buying more nowadays. Granted, a lot of it is home improvement stuff, but still. I'm sure my money is helping the economy more, since it's being spent instead of saved.
Was joking but you've hit on one of the number one reasons the economy's in the tank. Homebuyers buy lots of new stuff to fill up those new homes. This engine of growth is sputtering.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:35 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Because they've become the only game in town in many parts of the country.

Walmart in urban CA is an armpit. Walmart in rural CA(say, Oroville) is the only store you got and actually not terrible. I tend to see this across most of the country. Sam's Club I don't mind so much, but the level of service does not equal what it should be for a pay-for membership store, and the lack of service has always been the problem with Walmart properties.
But if they're the only game in town somewhere, its because they either found an un-served region and built a store there, or built a store in/near an existing town and people shopping at Walmart instead of the existing stores. Either way, if no one was shopping at Walmart, the stores would close. And since its so easy to shop on the Internet for just about everything, its harder to play the "only game in town" card than it would have been 20 years ago.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 AM

241 posts, read 267,383 times
Sadly, there's a wal-mart near me in Foothill Ranch. I never go there, though.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Sadly, there's a wal-mart near me in Foothill Ranch. I never go there, though.

Oh yes you do, don't try to deny it.

I'm going to report you.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
When I lived in Anaheim my Newport Beach/Newport Coast friends would come up for a day of Walmart shopping. "You're so lucky to live near a Walmart."

Just an observation.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When I lived in Anaheim my Newport Beach/Newport Coast friends would come up for a day of Walmart shopping. "You're so lucky to live near a Walmart."

Just an observation.
That's why they can afford Newport Coast - they shop at Wal-Mart.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM

246 posts, read 421,922 times
Ugh, I am sure that is tongue in cheek, but one who has the sense to acquire wealth would know that shopping at WalMart would likely induce poverty in the long run due to low quality of items purchased. Pure exchangeable commodities may yield a net zero transfer of utility, however, for all other goods Wal-Mart clearly costs more while delivering less.

Of course as was so astutely pointed out, the average proletariat can't perform sophisticated marginal utility analysis and chuckles like a hick, gets in the car, shops at wal mart while smacking their gums like a mule to "get some of dem low low prices" Shuuuuureeee 'nufff.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Ugh, I am sure that is tongue in cheek, but one who has the sense to acquire wealth would know that shopping at WalMart would likely induce poverty in the long run due to low quality of items purchased. Pure exchangeable commodities may yield a net zero transfer of utility, however, for all other goods Wal-Mart clearly costs more while delivering less.

Of course as was so astutely pointed out, the average proletariat can't perform sophisticated marginal utility analysis and chuckles like a hick, gets in the car, shops at wal mart while smacking their gums like a mule to "get some of dem low low prices" Shuuuuureeee 'nufff.
Faux intellectualism. Your statements here make little to no sense.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM

246 posts, read 421,922 times
Not true, but I'll simplify so you can understand

One product, two brands

Brand A costs $100; Brand W $80

Brand A lasts 2 years, brand W lasts 1 year

Brand W is 20% less than brand A but lasts half as long. You will spend $160 to get the same utility as Brand A, hence you are poorer over time by the "save money, live better, Walmart" model.

Do your research before firing off bumper slogans, ok CAVA, Typical reasoning ability from certain people.

But don't listen to me, shop WalMart all you like, not my concern, buy all the junk you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County