Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times

Advertisements

Will the wife be working?

IMO, $74K is tight for Southern California but doable. Better if wife is working and have a second income. Nothing else, save the money for rainy days.

Best wishes in your new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,252 times
On that salary you can rent comfortably in a 2BR in South OC with no children, but add kids into the mix and try to get a 3BR or even a car payment and you're in for paycheck-by-paycheck agony. Trust me, it won't work unless you've got some serious savings to float you along.

Sounds like you have good insurance, though. Mine would be $540/m through my job for my wife and two kids, and that's just for average insurance.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:48 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have four kids. I don't live that comfortably. I also plan on working until I am 97.
So your going to retire a little early, huh?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
On that salary you can rent comfortably in a 2BR in South OC with no children, but add kids into the mix and try to get a 3BR or even a car payment and you're in for paycheck-by-paycheck agony. Trust me, it won't work unless you've got some serious savings to float you along.

Sounds like you have good insurance, though. Mine would be $540/m through my job for my wife and two kids, and that's just for average insurance.
No question about the kids, not only do you have to pay more for a place to live, you have the additional living expenses and if your wife decides to work, there is the incredibly expensive childcare to pay for. Childcare costs a lot more in CA than other states.

I have heard that it is even getting hard to find childcare at all (at least here in Nor-Cal). Many providers have shut down because so many people had to drop childcare when they got laid off or got their salaries cut.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Gosh I missed that. One car? In California for two adults?

The last time the majority of two adult couples had only one car they were getting their information from this:

(unprotected image - public domain)
Why doesn't pops just use the remote?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,366 times
so if people are iffy about the 74K a year income... i suppose it's not even worth me trying at 50K? how do people survive if that's not possible...? I guess, roommates huh? quite impossible with two dogs...

Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Check out PaycheckCity.com | Paycheck Calculator to estimate your after tax income in CA. It's your after tax income that you'll use to pay for your expenses.
okay, wow. i just used this and about choked on my own saliva.

how accurate? maybe i entered something wrong...

i now know why it's making me sick to my stomach to think about moving back to California.... getting raped in taxes coupled with the high cost of living... what's the point?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post

i now know why it's making me sick to my stomach to think about moving back to California.... getting raped in taxes coupled with the high cost of living... what's the point?

Well, California is really expensive when compared to other places. But then again California has really great weather and it's really gorgeous in many cities. We love La Jolla, San Francisco and many other great cities there. But when you compare the cost to buy a house there, even at the still artificially high prices (prices will fall more) they are expensive compared to other places.

We are dealing with that now as we are thinking where we will relocate next year. We really love California but it might not make sense with the high cost of living.

But I gotta say the weather is great and the natural beauty is really great.

Just out of curiosity, how much is day care in California?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM

i grew up in California... northern california, spent my first 24 years of life there, so im no stranger to the high cost of living... but i guess being out of the state and thinking of going back to it is quite a shocker to the way i live now you know. and i feel like i have great weather! the only thing i miss is the beach, but of course we have gorgeous lake tahoe... I too agree it has great cities... but i am not sure it would be worth the cost of living... just to have nice weather and NOTHING else... you knoW?

i can't comment on daycare, im not yet a mom! and my friends that still live there are lucky enough to have family members watch their babies...

Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post

You won't get raped on taxes making just $50K. The really high state income taxes hit the high income people, not people in your situation. Your problem will be the housing cost and everything else you have to buy on a day to day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County