Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 46,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single mom and met a wonderfull man who is from westminster california he also has children, We live in the midwest and before my relationship goes any further I would like who ever can give me any information about living conditions ect...

What people are like ect...

I am from the midwest we are for the most part frienldy and welcoming down to earth not into latest fashions ect...

I mean I know there is a few but I am talking about the majority in the midwest excluding chicago,

I am also very sick of the weather here I do live in the coldest city in the usa

And I always wanted to move somewhere warm, what is the average temperture ect...

Anything anyone wants to add would be great. Keep in mind where I am from people shop at walmart ect...

You dont really see name brand ect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
The weather here is very mild compared to what you're used to. August and September highs are usually in the high 80's to 90's with much less humidity than you're used to. Winter highs are can range from 55 to 75 with lows in the 40's or occasionally high 30's. No snow of course and very little rain.

South Coast Plaza is a huge mall that'll probably make your Midwestern head spin and its just a few miles away. They have everything from a Sears to ultra high end shops normal people can't afford. Westminster also has its own mall.

Of course all this comes with a very high housing price so hopefully he's owned his house for a long time and isn't affected by today's insane prices.

One thing to warn you about Westminster: Is home to one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the country. You might be shocked the first time you see a shopping center where you can't read a single word on the signs. The good news is that they're generally patriotic Americans and are assimilating into American life.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanks because yes that would be a shock where I am from it is 96 percent white I am hispanic but we really dont have other races

Old 05-26-2007, 12:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
The Vietnamese aren't a problem. They do have Vietnamese gangs, but they're more active in Garden Grove (which is to the north of Westminster) but not anywhere near like the Mexican gangs of Stanton or Santa Ana.

The main problem with Westminster is rampant drug use. Meth and extacy are pretty big factors there among teenagers.

The overall crime rate is decent, about 65% of the national average. Westminster really is kind of an in between bedroom community for the most part. People working in Huntington Beach, Anaheim, Santa Ana, etc. There was a time when Westminster High was a very good school, but illegal immigration has blunted that quite a bit and there is racial violence there between hispanics and Vietnamese.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Ok I just got off the phone with him I guess he said southcoast shopping mall is a walk away?

How is that area

Old 05-26-2007, 04:36 PM

73 posts, read 448,885 times
Most of Westminster is a middle class residential neighborhood which is nothing spectacular (good or bad) in OC. If you know the major cross streets maybe someone on the forum would have a better idea. South Coast Plaza is the nicest shopping mall I have seen anywhere. Westminster is also right next to Santa Ana which has huge hispanic (and illegal hispanic) population.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikbj View Post
Ok I just got off the phone with him I guess he said southcoast shopping mall is a walk away?

How is that area
Perhaps your new friend have his malls mixed up. The South Coast Shopping Mall is in Cost Mesa several miles from the closest Westminister border. The Westminister Mall is on the West side of the city bordered by Huntington Beach. Less than 1 1/2 miles as the crow flys SE, is the Huntington Beach Mall which is somewhat bordered by Westminister The former is mostly industrial on the Westmin side and the latter have a few homes on the East side by a busy freeway. U may wish to ask your gentleman the cross streets.

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 05-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-27-2007, 12:53 AM

38,863 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Perhaps your new friend have his malls mixed up. The South Coast Shopping Mall is in Cost Mesa several miles from the closest Westminister border. The Westminister Mall is on the West side of the city bordered by Huntington Beach. Less than 1 1/2 miles as the crow flys SE, is the Huntington Beach Mall which is somewhat bordered by Westminister The former is mostly industrial on the Westmin side and the latter have a few homes on the East side by a busy freeway. U may wish to ask your gentleman the cross streets.
The Huntington Beach Mall (better known as Huntington Center) is no more. In its place is a new open-air shopping center, Bella Terra. Here's their website:

Bella Terra

My youngest sister and her family live in Westminster in an older neighborhood, and they all like it.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:03 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
Westminister is OK. I mean, it's southern california, you're moving from the midwest, it's going to be a bit of an adjustment. It's certainly no "Newport beach" but decent. And yeah southcoast plaza is not within walking distance, but definately worth the drive down the 405 just be careful when you drive it, traffic is blah, blah, blah. It can take 30 min to go 3 miles.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 AM

376 posts, read 1,505,425 times
Westminster is a decent area it is just a bit older. The surrounding citites are Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Fountain Valley. The Westminster Mall is probably the closest, then there is Huntington Center and further down south in Costa Mesa is South Coast Plaza. Since you have a daughter check out Garden Grove School District and API school ratings for the specific school. I went to Westminster High but that was 20 years ago and it was a good school then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County