Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,098 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I know y'all probably get eleventy billion threads about what to expect in OC when moving, but here's another one, just in case you were in dire need. :P

My husband and I are moving in from Cleveland, OH to attend graduate and law school, respectively. We'll be buying a second car when we get out there, as he will need to commute to Cal State LA (don't ask, it's his own stupid fault) and I will be going to Whittier College of Law in Costa Mesa.

Now, I have a couple questions.

First, how worth it is it to find an apartment that pays all utilities? Should we be looking for one that pays all except electric, or would it be just as good to pay utilities ourselves?

Second, we're looking at the Garden Grove/Fullerton/Irvine areas to live - yes, I know, commute commute commute, but you'll have that anywhere in CA, apparently, so it's not a big deal for us. We'll be getting $18k each in loan refunds over the course of the year, plus we'll both have jobs (he gets full tuition + stipend, and I will have a full-time job because I'm only going to school part-time), so we can afford around $1250/month rent. Any recommendations for good areas to live, or anyone willing to estimate what they pay per month for rent, utils, car insurance, groceries, etc? Remember, we're only two people, so there are no children to think of.

Third, if someone is willing to answer, what is the average pay out there for a retail job? I make $7.48 here in Ohio, and my job will give me a cost of living increase, but what am I looking at? Of course, I'll be doing the Craigslist thing to find something better to make use of my polisci degree after getting there (data entry, office work, etc) which I'm hoping to get $30,000 a year for. Alex and I don't need much, since we don't have kids and are still fairly young, so $30,000 a year for us combined would be plenty. We have no car payments, nor will we have credit card bills. Anyone willing to talk about salary, jobs, etc?

Finally, please don't think I'm one of those starry-eyed people who comes to CA for a life of celebrity. Honestly, the main reason I'm moving is that Whittier gave me a full ride, and my doctor seems to think the weather would be good for my fibromyalgia, so that's that. We don't need much to live, just enough to save a little each month and live in a DECENT neighborhood, not necessarily the BEST.

Thanks so much for any and all answers to these questions. I really, truly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:28 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,388 times
None of the apartments I've come in contact out here pay all utilities. Maybe water and trash, but not much else. Of course, that is just my experience. But where you are thinking about living, you won't need the heat and the ac like you would in the midwest/east coast, so utilities are generally not a big deal for an apartment.

What are you looking to do in retail? It depends where you work and if you are a regular employee vs. a supervisor/manager, but I would say generally you will be offered minimum wage, which will be $7.50 on July 1.

The areas that you mentioned are all decent, and you should be able to find a one bedroom that fits your budget.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks, Mel. I appreciate the input. I'm used to not having A/C given that my house is rented and we didn't put central air in for that reason, so that isn't a big deal. This is just going to be our first apartment, so I'm not sure what to look for!

I'm transferring my job from Sunglass Hut, which pays me $7.50 right now and gives cost-of-living increases, so I'm really hoping that since I've been a fantastic employee for two years, they'll give me $9 or so. Again, going to be looking for a new job as soon as I get there, but wanted to get an idea.

It's also good to know that those areas are decent; I just didn't want to move into the bad parts of OC (I've lived in east Cleveland before, it's NOT fun!)

Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM

73 posts, read 449,095 times
I live in Fullerton which is about the center between CSU-LA and Costa Mesa. Each drive will take 45 min when traffic is good (but more often traffic will be congested). A good place for an apartment is downtown Fullerton, where there is plenty of nightlife. If you look in Fullerton, try to find a place north of Commonwealth Blvd and south of Imperial Hwy for a safe neighborhood. Avoid La Habra, Santa Ana, and some part of Garden Grove. Air conditioning is needed as it can get to 105F in the summer, unless you live right on the beach shore which is cooler. There are a lot of jobs in Fullerton related to medical care, which pay well, near the St Jude Medical Center complex in Fullerton. CSU-LA is near the tough LA neighborhoods but Costa Mesa is nice.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,758 times
I would also say you should avoid Buena Park and Placentia, too, which are cities on the decline (illegal immigration strikes again). Fullerton isn't that hot, either. If you can find something in Yorba Linda or, if you are set on Fullerton, there is an apartment complex right across the street from Cal State Fullerton (near the Western University of Law, btw). The only thing is that there may be quite a bit of partying in that complex since it is just down the block from the frats. But I have never lived there. A couple of friends of mine have and generally liked it, but it has been a decade or so since they lived there, so things could have changed.

Good luck. But man, Cal State L.A.? I had a Japanese teachers who got her masters there, but it is not in a good neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Default re: csu-la

Yeah, I know about the area near CSU-LA. Believe me, this was NOT our first choice of schools, but he massively screwed up and couldn't get in anywhere else. Hopefully he'll be able to transfer out sooner or later. Any suggestions on how to keep our car safe while he's there? I know there's not much you can do, but thoughts?

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 PM

73 posts, read 449,095 times
I found out that the best way to keep the car safe is to have good insurance that will cover it, if it is broken into or stolen. I say this because a thief broke into my truck parked in front of a very nice corporate building in Irvine, right across from the busy Irvine Spectrum center. It was at lunch time when a lot of people were in the parking lot. They ripped out my DVD screen and navigation system and cut themselves on the glass. Blood all over the door. I was shocked - not because it happened - but because of the safe area and busy time of day when it happened. I also had a top of the line Clifford alarm system. So they did this while the alarm was on.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteofdesire View Post
Yeah, I know about the area near CSU-LA. Believe me, this was NOT our first choice of schools, but he massively screwed up and couldn't get in anywhere else. Hopefully he'll be able to transfer out sooner or later. Any suggestions on how to keep our car safe while he's there? I know there's not much you can do, but thoughts?
May I suggest some of the apts in Anaheim? And in particular, apts own and managed by Wesslyn Properties. All of their apts are gated and they keep their apts in top notch shape with top notch long term on site managers. Until recently retired, I was their outside contractor. I've serviced many other apt buildings from other Cos. and I say w/o reservation, Wessyln top them all.
And their rent seem to be somewhat under the prevailing rate. As for schools, it most unfortunate for your hubby having to travel so far for unrated college. And jobs, retail jobs are plentiful here in O.C. But U are degreed. U should look for something more commensurate w/your learning even if it is partime.

Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,770 times
Regarding pay. I have no idea what retail pay is like, but you can be almost brain dead and still find a job that pays 10+ an hour.

You won't find much in Irvine for 1200, even the studios are usually more than that.

Honestly though it doesn't seem worth it to move over 2000 miles to go to a cal-state. Maybe he should re-apply next year?

Old 05-26-2007, 01:08 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteofdesire View Post
Drive a "junker". Who in their right mind would want to steal it or anything from it? Unless U live in a snooty really high price neighborhood, nobody would complain. As long as U don't work on it in the complex where U are renting, it is none of their business what U drive as long as U pay the rent every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County