Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am in the process of interviewing for a job in Irvine. I live in Canada right now and could use help in learning as much about the area as possible.

Cost of living is a big question to me as I would need to understand what salary range would be necessary to support me, my wife and out 120lb dog Me being Canadian complicates things as our different tax and social benefits situations makes a comparison to my current position nearly impossible. Its also important to note that my wife will likely not be able to work for a while due to visa restrictions. If someone could help me break down the big ticket items such as what percent of salary I should expect as take home pay, health insurance costs, housing expenses (we plan on renting for now), transportation (is public transit an option in Irvine?)

The other question is around location. I'd be willing to commute for up to an hour each way, but would prefer to take public transit if possible. With those criteria, where in the area could I live that would minimize my cost of living while still placing me in a safe neighborhood.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Are you looking to rent a house or apt? Is the dog breed a restricted breed(typically pitbulls and some other breeds can be restricted)? Do you want suburbia, an urban area, something else?

I'd say if you're looking to rent an apt, you'll want to make at least $85000 USD, preferably more since you're going to need to buy a car(public transport isn't great, but there is a Metrolink train stop in Irvine and OCTA runs bus service in the county). The car will be necessary for shopping and recreational travel. You can look up the two services I mentioned above to see if they have service near the work location.

You can find rent for a 1bd apt under $1400, depending on where you want to live, but most places will charge pet rent, and probably a lot for a big dog like that. Just looking at the Irvine Co apts(in Irvine), minimum $1250 or so with a few more options in the $1300 range.

Take home pay depends on your tax bracket. I'd search the internet for an income tax calculator and use that.

Health insurance will be provided by your employer(except small business generally), so you'll need to ask the employer for options. They will provide you with a packet(or website) that will detail costs to you and you'll make a selection off the options provided. Depending on the plan you choose and the plan options available, I'd say it could be as little as $100 a month for the cheapest PPO or as much as $500 a month for the HMO to cover two people.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahn View Post
and out 120lb dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Is the dog breed a restricted breed(typically pitbulls and some other breeds can be restricted)?
How horrific would a 120lb pit bull be?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,830 times
The dog is a Lab, think "Marley and Me". While I would love a house, I think renting an apartment is all I would be able to afford on a single salary. Suburbia is preferred to an urban area. I own a car and I would either bring it with me (hell of a road trip though) or sell it and buy one there.

The big question for me now is where do I look. While I would be working in Irvine, I suspect there are cheaper places to live while being within 1 hour of my job.

Thoughts?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
There are areas in Tustin, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Lake Forest that are cheaper than Irvine, somewhat safe and more like 10 minutes from Irvine.

But even Irvine rentals are coming down... not knowing what your salary is, what do you think is affordable for you as a monthly rent? Once you have that number... you can do a search on any real estate site. Irvine has its own site for most of the apartments there run by The Irvine Company:

Rental-Living.com - California Apartment Communities

You can even rent from private parties but since this would be a big move for you... I would stick with renting from an apartment complex so you don't get taken advantage of by some landlord who is in default on their mortgage.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
If you want to live comfortably in Irvine you need to make the median income which is around 90-95k. Renting a house is around 2500 at month minimum. Most people here are FOBs (Indian, middle eatern, or aian) and don't talk to you if you're a pasty white guy. You will really, really have to go out of your way to meet anybody. People are not friendly here, more so than the rest of orange county. Irvine is very plain and almost creepy. I've been here for a little over three years and will be moving soon because it too difficult to make friends and meet people as a 28 year old.

It is however extremely safe..I've never had anything stolen, the people are respectful enough (but maintain their distance). It just not a community environment, at least where I live in woodbridge. Btw woodbridge has tons of parks, tennis courts, and two nice lakes if you are into walking or jogging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County