Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:59 PM

264 posts, read 392,836 times

Advertisements

I live in south OC, and I have family in Rancho Bernardo in San Diego. I prefer OC.

BTW....the pressure to look good isn't that profound. That being said, what's wrong with wanting to look good?

My fashion statement most days is my cargo shorts, running shoes, and T-shirt. I change that to a tank top when it gets hot. Baseball cap and sunglasses are always worn.

I'm retired, and I sub teach. I wear a shirt and khakis to school. High fashion is present in pockets, but most working people are like most working people anywhere. Sure, you will see fancy cars and finely dressed people, but everyone doesn't live in Newport Beach or Monarch Bay.

California is usually about as casual as anyplace in the country. Flip flops are the stae shoe and can be seen everywhere including weddings. Shorts are always in fashion, and if you see someone wearing long pants from April through the middle of December, you know they aren't from here or they just arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:20 PM

57 posts, read 196,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieJenofAz View Post
I lived in both counties and I felt OC to be more fun and friendly. But, I didn't live in a really good area in San Diego. I just felt San Diego to be more crowded, not as clean and new looking, and the people, at least those around me, not ALL of San Diego!, were less open and friendly. San Diego does have some very nice cities, like La Jolla, Carlsbad, those two are my favorites! I lived near the Zoo at one time and it was an older neighborhood and it was okay. No problems or anything. I also lived near San Ysidro, which is VERY close to the border and didn't like it at all.
Most anything south of downtown SD is, for all intents and purposes, part of Mexico. They might as well move the border crossing up 10 miles because there's nothing worth seeing down there.

The "clean and new looking" areas are mostly in north county. Plenty of shiny new tract-style developments to choose from. 20 years ago the bulk of those communities didn't even exist.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 AM

111 posts, read 224,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieJenofAz View Post
I lived in both counties and I felt OC to be more fun and friendly. But, I didn't live in a really good area in San Diego. I just felt San Diego to be more crowded, not as clean and new looking, and the people, at least those around me, not ALL of San Diego!, were less open and friendly.
I agree, I live in OC and while I haven't lived in SD I find it to be less friendly and outgoing than OC. There is a level of rudeness and snobbiness in SD that I haven't found in OC.

Quote:
BTW....the pressure to look good isn't that profound. That being said, what's wrong with wanting to look good?

My fashion statement most days is my cargo shorts, running shoes, and T-shirt. I change that to a tank top when it gets hot. Baseball cap and sunglasses are always worn.
Agreed, what's wrong with looking good? And I have to say, living in OC after living several years in Arizona, it's VERY down to earth by comparison. You see less "barbies" and "fake" people in OC than I did in Arizona, by a long shot.

Quote:
Sure, you will see fancy cars and finely dressed people, but everyone doesn't live in Newport Beach or Monarch Bay.
I live in Newport Beach and don't see all the flashiness it's famous for. Cars, yes, but clothes, no, it's just as casual and laid back as anywhere in CA. And very friendly too. In my usual cargo shorts and running shoes I never get the dirty looks I got constantly while living in Arizona.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
San Diego. OC is boring whitebread republican suburbia with more smog. I'll give it credit for the beaches, but SD beaches are superior. SD has stuff to do, is slightly more diverse and a bit less conservative. Much less smoggy.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
I live in south OC, and I have family in Rancho Bernardo in San Diego. I prefer OC.

I'm retired, and I sub teach. I wear a shirt and khakis to school. High fashion is present in pockets, but most working people are like most working people anywhere. Sure, you will see fancy cars and finely dressed people, but everyone doesn't live in Newport Beach or Monarch Bay.

California is usually about as casual as anyplace in the country. Flip flops are the stae shoe and can be seen everywhere including weddings. Shorts are always in fashion, and if you see someone wearing long pants from April through the middle of December, you know they aren't from here or they just arrived.
Beg to differ on the last part. I grew up in Southern California and I am wearing pants right now, having just got off of work. Generalizations such as that are not helpful.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
San Diego. OC is boring whitebread republican suburbia with more smog. I'll give it credit for the beaches, but SD beaches are superior. SD has stuff to do, is slightly more diverse and a bit less conservative. Much less smoggy.
(sigh)

Looks like someone needs to venture north (my understanding is that to San Diegans anything north of San Onofre is "LA" so I give you kudos for AT LEAST differentiating Orange County from Los Angeles, if only for the sake of this thread) more often.

It is most certainly acceptable to choose one place over another according to one's personal likes.

It is less so to proceed then to paint the loser in your own eyes with a broad stroke paintbrush as you just have.

Apparently you haven't visited Santa Ana, Anaheim, Garden Grove or any of a number of other central and north Orange County cities, nor do you necessarily need to. But others might take it as read from your comment that there might be nothing there for them, if they are urbanites or, conversely, that all of Orange County is one big layer cake of cookie-cutter suburbia from La Habra to San Clemente, and from Seal Beach to Coto De Caza (tipping on that last one a little bit ).

It would be like my saying that San Diego, being close to Mexico, is nothing but a steaming basket of illegal brown pride folklórico culture from San Ysidro all the way to Oceanside, and from Carlsbad to Jamul. (Which it is not, and the only problem I have here is the illegal part, for which I put the most blame on our friggin' government and our even more friggin' president.)

I can name "Republican whitebread strongholds" in YOUR backyard. Try the northern part of the city of San Diego....Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, etc.) Or the redneck 'burbs...such as Spring Valley, Alpine and, to a lesser extent, Lemon Grove and that surrounding area. Or, even better, those RICH golf-loving folks that live in that enchanted strip between South O and Coronado....why does Carlsbad have at least two golf companies headquartered there (unless things have changed in the past couple of years)?

Both places are far more interesting than you paint them.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Frankly, I think San Diego is a little hyped/overrated. Sure its beautiful and nice for a visit.

But its economy is largely based on military, which means much fewer career opportunities, and apart from some laid back, beachy, artsy colonies, is more homogenous and conservative (because of the military presence) than other equivalent urban suburban area of California (including Orange County).

Its not as relatively centrally located, the variety of outdoor environments to enjoy is nothing that can't be found anywhere else in the state, the things to do are much less in that city, while at the same time as about just as expensive to live in.

I'm not knocking it, to me I just don't see the big deal about SD other than a short visit. Its basically a small city based upon military and tourism, rather than a dynamic major metropolitan area.

Again its nice, but its cost of living giving its opportunities and amenities should be more similar to Sacramento.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
OC has better fireworks

Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 PM

573 posts, read 1,352,637 times
OC, more things to do, nicer beaches, etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM

601 posts, read 1,443,093 times
OC has a worse case of "affluenza" than SD (as seen in the Housewives of the OC on TV). Whitebread suburbia is pretty bad in Irvine, especially. People will call the cops on you if you park your car in their neighborhoods for no reason. Elitism runs rampant in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County