U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 AM

11 posts, read 38,239 times

Advertisements

My wife, baby and I just moved here from the East Coast after being city dwellers for all of our lives for a great job in Anaheim. We're temporarily in Irvine while we house hunt. Our first impressions are that it's very pleasant, has good schools, lots of parks, etc... but all of the tract housing and strip malls might be a little too suburban for us. I know Orange County is a suburb of LA, so I should expect it to be well... suburban. But I'd like to find other areas to check out that might have some more character.

Some of the areas we've liked in the short time we've been out here have been Long Beach, Laguna, and even Silverlake in LA. Problem is all of them look like horrific commutes to Anaheim. We also like Corona Del Mar, which is probably the closest beach community commute, but after reading the other posts on this board, it seems like our child will just grow up to be a pretentious, materialistic drug addict teenager if we live there

Our house budget is $1.5M, which gives us a lot of options, but we are having trouble trying to balance the commute time with the areas we like.
Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 AM

5,113 posts, read 18,752,290 times
Old Town Orange would be the closest option. Parts of Fullerton next. After that coastal communities should come in to play(not CDM though, way too far, look near the western end of the 22 instead in Seal Beach and Huntington Beach, and your price range may include somewhere like Sunset Beach or Surfside but then again you may be priced out of there as well[honestly]). You could also look in to Santa Ana. People tend to define "character" as the age of the home and Santa Ana has some of the oldest in OC, but then you'd also want to put your kid in a private school like Mater Dei since the regular schools aren't so great in SA

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,132,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyavocado View Post
My wife, baby and I just moved here from the East Coast after being city dwellers for all of our lives for a great job in Anaheim. We're temporarily in Irvine while we house hunt. Our first impressions are that it's very pleasant, has good schools, lots of parks, etc... but all of the tract housing and strip malls might be a little too suburban for us. I know Orange County is a suburb of LA, so I should expect it to be well... suburban. But I'd like to find other areas to check out that might have some more character.

Some of the areas we've liked in the short time we've been out here have been Long Beach, Laguna, and even Silverlake in LA. Problem is all of them look like horrific commutes to Anaheim. We also like Corona Del Mar, which is probably the closest beach community commute, but after reading the other posts on this board, it seems like our child will just grow up to be a pretentious, materialistic drug addict teenager if we live there

Our house budget is $1.5M, which gives us a lot of options, but we are having trouble trying to balance the commute time with the areas we like.
Any suggestions?
That word "suburb" is loaded with no particular trajectory, which means it could mean a lot of things. What part of suburb do you hate most? You will have more choices if you prioritize your like/dislike list. Plenty of OC is not uber-starchy, nor Stepfordville.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM

916 posts, read 3,518,226 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
The commute to anaheim from belmont shore isn't bad. 30 minutes...

Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
That word "suburb" is loaded with no particular trajectory, which means it could mean a lot of things. What part of suburb do you hate most? You will have more choices if you prioritize your like/dislike list. Plenty of OC is not uber-starchy, nor Stepfordville.
Like I said, it's mostly the tract housing that all looks the same, everything being in strip malls, having to drive pretty much every time you want to go anywhere. At least that's my initial impression of Irvine. We're just starting to explore, so I would love to hear some suggestions of other places to check out.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM

30 mins, really? Some people were telling me to expect closer to an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
The commute to anaheim from belmont shore isn't bad. 30 minutes...

Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 5,355,289 times
If you plan on getting along with people in OC, I suggest you never again repeat that OC is a suburb of LA...

Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,752,290 times
Quote:
30 mins, really? Some people were telling me to expect closer to an hour.
Depends on where in Anaheim and what hours. The 22 expansion only opened up a short time ago and it seems to have done a great deal alleviating traffic to some degree. It is essentially a straight shot. Hop on the 22 and take it straight in to the very southern end of Anaheim

Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM

281 posts, read 565,491 times
There are neighborhoods in Anaheim Hills, North Tustin (Tustin Foothills), Orange Park Acres, Cowan Heights, Villa Park etc. where homes are ecletic (i.e Cape Cod, Modern, Bungalow etc)...

These areas are some of the wealthiest in Southern California but you would never know it as most of the people who live in these communities are not very pretentious.

Also the schools in these areas are top notch (Anaheim Hills in particular).

Here is a good article to read:

HILLS OF WEALTH | Population & Demographics > Demographic Groups from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-california-metro-areas/4082799-1.html - broken link)

Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 5,143,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
If you plan on getting along with people in OC, I suggest you never again repeat that OC is a suburb of LA...
Best piece of advice is this thread......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>