Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM

233 posts, read 741,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
I was just reading this and have a question. I have been gone for many years, but I am curious about the statement that the Tustin PD will not let the Santa Ana crime move into Tustin or Irvine. Why is it that Santa Ana has gotten so out of control? Is it budget cuts or just too much population?
Santa Ana has a large low income population and low education levels. These factors decrease opportunities for success. More importantly though is that the Mexican community (at least the immigrant generation, which is a large portion of Santa Ana) does not stress education to its children like other cultures. Asian cultures place a large emphasis on education; while Mexican culture does not do this generally speaking. Recent mexican immigrant parents are at a disadvantage in that they sometimes have a harder transition in parenting/adapting their children to their new environment in the US. For the most part you can't parent a child exactly like you would back in your home country you must adapt. Their are a lot of potential negative external forces here in the states that do not exist in one's home country. This can be said of a lot of cultures just not mexican culture. In summary, Santa Ana's problems come from low income, low education levels and natural transition problems/issues that arise from new immigrants attempting to fit into the american system.

I don't follow Santa Ana politics so i can't comment on budget cuts specifically, but I imagine most of the county is experiencing some type budget cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM

342 posts, read 1,422,901 times
what I don't understand though is why they allow so many people to live in a 1 or two bedroom apartment...when I lived there the limit was 2 adults and 1 baby to a 1 bedroom. When we were in a 1 bedroom with 2 young woman with 2 babies - they told us that it was not allowed by the health dept and they could get in trouble. They did enforce it too. It seems that now they allow many people to live in a small 2 bedroom or even 1 bedroom. Why has that changed or why is it now allowed? I rrealize that many of those people with low incomes need to pool their money to pay for their rent so if two families can make do, it helps to make their money go farther. But from what I am seeing - the cheapest rent area's are very run down and many unsafe area's to live. I know that is the same here in Minneapolis - but we do not have the population issue's - yet.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 AM

823 posts, read 1,771,091 times
You know, I've always wondered what I would do if I was a political leader of a city, say the mayor, and my city was run-down like Santa Ana. I'm more familiar with Long Beach, which is far better than Santa Ana (I think), but there are pockets of good and bad in LB.

So, as mayor of a city, how hard is it to clean up your city? There are power struggles within politics, but I think I would enforce the city code, because that seems easy enough. Crack down on illegal additions, thus reducing the multiple dwellings we often see in the poorer neighborhoods and increasing health and safety. Don't allow cars to be parked on lawns, etc. Start with the easy stuff.

I think that if city leaders really want to clean up their city, they can, budget cuts or not. Seems like most politicians are in it for themselves and there's lots of wasteful spending. I would be ashamed to be a political leader and not see positive changes in my district or city while in office.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM

342 posts, read 1,422,901 times
I definitely agree with you on that - I too would feel that way. I guess it is like the old saying goes - you have to pick your battles. Maybe they just feel overwhelmed.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 18,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
You know, I've always wondered what I would do if I was a political leader of a city, say the mayor, and my city was run-down like Santa Ana. I'm more familiar with Long Beach, which is far better than Santa Ana (I think), but there are pockets of good and bad in LB.

So, as mayor of a city, how hard is it to clean up your city? There are power struggles within politics, but I think I would enforce the city code, because that seems easy enough. Crack down on illegal additions, thus reducing the multiple dwellings we often see in the poorer neighborhoods and increasing health and safety. Don't allow cars to be parked on lawns, etc. Start with the easy stuff.

I think that if city leaders really want to clean up their city, they can, budget cuts or not. Seems like most politicians are in it for themselves and there's lots of wasteful spending. I would be ashamed to be a political leader and not see positive changes in my district or city while in office.
Long Beach far better than Santa Ana?? Unlikely...in fact I'd say they're a lot more similar than you think. Every part of Long Beach I've been to hasn't been any better than your average part of Santa Ana, and I'm almost certain Long Beach has more gang activity. Given Long Beach's greater diversity, you also have more race-based gangs (which is the only type there is anyway).

And the area off Mitchell IS shady. I understand what the OP is saying. Even though that area of Tustin is near Tustin Ranch and not far from Irvine, in general, the areas off Mitchell/Nisson/McFadden and the south ends of Newport/Red Hill are all pretty ghetto. It's not like South Central but I definitely would not move there if I didn't have to. Stabbings by meth addicts are not unheard of in Tustin. The Key Inn off the 5 freeway is notorious for illegal activity.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM

823 posts, read 1,771,091 times
I'm not too familiar with Santa Ana--just drove by City Hall and worked and do light shopping near 17th and the 55. I know a SA police officer and I get to hear about the problems he deals with. SA has areas that are nice, but it seems to me there's more affluent areas in LB. There are some pockets of LB where you don't want to go to.

And yes, more racial gangs there in LB and the political leaders aren't doing hardly anything to address the problem. LB got a new police chief, though, so maybe things will change.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM

233 posts, read 741,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl814 View Post
Long Beach far better than Santa Ana?? Unlikely...in fact I'd say they're a lot more similar than you think. Every part of Long Beach I've been to hasn't been any better than your average part of Santa Ana, and I'm almost certain Long Beach has more gang activity. Given Long Beach's greater diversity, you also have more race-based gangs (which is the only type there is anyway).

And the area off Mitchell IS shady. I understand what the OP is saying. Even though that area of Tustin is near Tustin Ranch and not far from Irvine, in general, the areas off Mitchell/Nisson/McFadden and the south ends of Newport/Red Hill are all pretty ghetto. It's not like South Central but I definitely would not move there if I didn't have to. Stabbings by meth addicts are not unheard of in Tustin. The Key Inn off the 5 freeway is notorious for illegal activity.

Just my $0.02
I don't consider Mitchell street (east of Newport) to be ghetto. The areas off of Mcfadden (especially by the bridge) in Tustin do start to get a little ghetto relatively speaking, as this area borders Santa Ana.

This is too funny, You sound like another OC bubble head. Some parts of south Tustin are a little ghetto but nowhere near what you see in Santa Ana. What you see in Santa Ana is nowhere near what you will find in the worst parts of LA/Long Beach. Many OC bubble heads think they will "get shot at" if they drive through Santa Ana LOL. Stabbings by meth addicts in Tustin not unheard of? This would be very very rare. Only an OC bubble head would say something like this.

The Key Inn has long been a problem spot for Tustin PD. It seems the problems are contained to the motel and do not spill over into the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County