Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times

Advertisements

you could always join a masters program after you move SCAQ. there are plenty of pools in the region and a lot of people who swim as well. i don't know of any that are spring fed (that sounds really nice!), but there are some top notch facilities like the pools at santa monica college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
(I don't swim in the ocean without a board--I'm still terrified of sharks.)
And you surf? I surf and I have had something touch my leg several times. I hope you don't freak out. Being on a board will not change anything if an actual shark gets next to you. All you can do is go for the eyes!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsurfergirl View Post
I'd love to find a great outdoor pool with a regular lap-swimming crowd.

May be too far out, but Hawthorne Pool is salt water, very new, very nice.
$4 for lap swimming, $2 for seniors, military, and life guards.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsurfergirl View Post
I really appreciate all the comments, folks. I'm planning to come and stay for at least a week next month to start getting a feel for different places.

So here's another thing to throw in the mix. I'm also an avid swimmer, and I'd love to find a great outdoor pool with a regular lap-swimming crowd. (I don't swim in the ocean without a board--I'm still terrified of sharks.) OK, so you may say a pool is a pool, but we have some amazing spring-fed pools here in Austin, and unfortunately, I'm really spoiled. So are there any "special" pools I should know of? I'm guessing there's nothing spring-fed near the coast, but perhaps a saltwater pool? Or something with open air showers? Or a great view? Any thoughts on this?
Not much to speak of out here other than the YMCA. Only special pool I can think of it the pool on the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base that has the Olympic Water Polo training facility which has open swim(including laps) in the olympic pool. Cool facility and setting, but that said, it's still just a pool.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Long Beach Yacht Club in Naples has a great pool overlooking Alamitos Bay. Of course you would need to join the yacht club.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 21,762 times
Thanks for these tips, and the SCAQ link. I may just need to get used to chlorine, but that shouldn't be a big deal. The Santa Monica Swim Center looks nice, and it looks like they keep the pool temp at 79 year-round. That will be a step up for me. Our spring-fed pools are a bit chilly!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 PM

23 posts, read 79,651 times
Default Beach Cities Girlfriend

Hey AustinSurferGirl, Do you travel ? If yes, I totally advise you to stay in L.A. and should absolutely consider the Beach cities (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, or even El Segundo). Beach Cities is only 15-20 mins from LAX. 30 mins to Downtown. 30-40 mins to Hollywood, Beverly Hills (if you are into that). From what I read of you, Hermosa would be a perfect fit, surf, single scene, but safe. However, it is not easy to get into a place in Hermosa for $2500 or under. The next town would be Redondo, a little less than Hermosa.

[mod cut: advertising]

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 04-03-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Huntington Beach is great for 30 somethings. Moved their when I first relocated to Ca.

Made friends very quickly

Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Ventura !

Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM

28 posts, read 50,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott5280 View Post
heck why stop there with the so. Cal experince...why don't you have hard core mexicans...i mean mexican american's lube you up for the taking..i mean have fun... Nothing bad ever happens here..i'm only moving back to colorado..because i can't afford to live in california,,yea that's right..it's
all about col.california is great,,just don't hit your head on the educated out migration..california is great..it's just swell...ok so every one who grew up here has left..don't let that discourage you..i love southern california ....it's realy reasonable now...minus the gangs and crime..excuse me...you
have a good job , and you are educated...no of course you are not in the minority..every one here loves white people...keep telling your self that jack ass..or get real and get the f out of cali...ya i sai cali..guess i'm not a real fornian..oh wellllllll...
lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County