U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 82,646 times

Advertisements

What do you pay/get paid per year for an architectural intern position???
Any benefits, holidays, etc?
Is this full time or part time?

Please state your city

Thank you all for your input-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,214,792 times
10$/hr IF that. Internships these days are hard to come by. Employers don't want to even give unpaid internships due to liability (risk of getting sued). The real value in an internship is the experience and not so much how much you make per hour.

If you can't find an internship then try to find work for any engineering/architecture related firm. That way it will allow you to network with people who can actually get you some place in life.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 AM

300 posts, read 1,181,387 times
$0? I'm kinda' kidding.....and kinda' not. I agree with the other poster, on top of Arch + ID seeing a huge slowing due to the economy. They don't even have enough work for their staff in many cases (although I hear its picking up a bit!).

Do you want a big firm, or a small firm? Commercial or residential? All the big, multi-national firms will be in LA (well, maybe there are a few in OC....but I am not sure....when I think big firms I think SOM, Gensler, etc. and they are LA). If you are interested in Green design/Arch, you can probably find a cool architect to take you on- may take some looking, and you may have to volunteer your time....because if you are looking for an internship, chances are many others are also looking for the same one. Its a hard time for recent Arch/ID grads right now. Good internships are pretty competitive, too....they want you to know and be proficient in CAD, have a solid student portfolio, have attended a good school/arch program, etc. Also, a lot of people aren't taking interns who aren't still in school.....maybe you can get lucky if you are a very recent grad.

I would get a flexible job on nights and weekends- like bartending or fine dining service, and work for free in Arch until you don't have to anymore. Bartenders and servers, at the right establishment, can make 200-400 per shift. That's enough to pay your bills and be flexible, hours wise, for your internship during the day. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,715,541 times
totally agree with both of the above, especially preppyglam. These are the words of experience - architecture is always a tough gig, and especially so right now. Do what preppy says.... you would seriously not believe how many unpaid internships I've seen being advertised for architecture firms in the past few months. Often they are part time work, which would help since you'll have to have that night job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County