Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 PM

92 posts, read 267,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
I'm not sure where this stat came from, but I have a sales receipt in front of me from The Gap with a sales tax rate of 8.9750%, and I am not in California. I'm in the midwest.

I calculated what I'd be paying in state income tax if I lived in California, and I'd actually be paying less than what I pay where I currently live... not to mention I wouldnt have to pay city tax anymore, which would save me even more.

Sure 9.55% is high, but when you're paying that rate on only part of your income its not as bad. In my state, our tier levels only go to $9000... then anything over $9000 is 6%... plus the city I live in makes us pay 1% to them.

The gasoline, I'll give to you. Our gas is about 50 cents a gallon cheaper here.
Your gap receipt would include state, county and in some cases city sales tax. I was referring to just state sales tax rates. There are areas in California where sales tax is near 10% when you include county and city sales tax. The info came from www.taxfoundation.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM

21 posts, read 83,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
Your gap receipt would include state, county and in some cases city sales tax. I was referring to just state sales tax rates. There are areas in California where sales tax is near 10% when you include county and city sales tax. The info came from www.taxfoundation.org
There are cities in LA county where the tax rate is 10.75 (Avalon, South Gate, Pico Rivera)

Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM

32 posts, read 134,897 times
Default AZ tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
I'm not sure where this stat came from, but I have a sales receipt in front of me from The Gap with a sales tax rate of 8.9750%, and I am not in California. I'm in the midwest.

I calculated what I'd be paying in state income tax if I lived in California, and I'd actually be paying less than what I pay where I currently live... not to mention I wouldnt have to pay city tax anymore, which would save me even more.

Sure 9.55% is high, but when you're paying that rate on only part of your income its not as bad. In my state, our tier levels only go to $9000... then anything over $9000 is 6%... plus the city I live in makes us pay 1% to them.

The gasoline, I'll give to you. Our gas is about 50 cents a gallon cheaper here.
That confused me also because I have a sales receipt from Pet Smart in Surprise, Arizona that is 9.2%. And I was just there in March and your gas is only 5 cents more per gallon that ours in some places. We're catching up to you!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 PM

84 posts, read 440,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
Combine those income tax rates with the fact that California has the highest state sales tax in the US at 8.25% and the highest gasoline tax in the US at 46.6 cents per gallon and it makes one wonder how in the world the state is in such a financial mess.
Well, there's a lot more to the issue than income and sales tax. They are symptoms of things like prop 13 and voter-initiated ballots that pass without sources of funding, which really have drained the state's coffers.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 AM

92 posts, read 267,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiksa View Post
That confused me also because I have a sales receipt from Pet Smart in Surprise, Arizona that is 9.2%. And I was just there in March and your gas is only 5 cents more per gallon that ours in some places. We're catching up to you!
The gap in gas prices should be much more than a nickel a gallon, where in Arizona are you buying your gas?

I was in OC back in January and drove out to visit my grandparents in Bullhead City Arizona and gas was about $0.50 a gallon cheaper in Arizona. In OC cheap gas back in January was about $2.89, in Bullhead City there were stations charging $2.39 a gallon.

Currently the average price per gallon in Arizona is $2.84 (with areas like Bullhead City averaging $2.68), the current average in OC is $3.08. All of this info is available at gasbuddy.com

Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 AM

192 posts, read 504,858 times
Nevada & Washington don't have a state income tax, is that correct? Do you ever find people moving to Nevada or Washington for just this reason?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,852,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato head8 View Post
Nevada & Washington don't have a state income tax, is that correct? Do you ever find people moving to Nevada or Washington for just this reason?
Washington does not have state income tax. We didn't move from CA to WA for that reason, but it is fantastically nice, considering the sales tax doesn't really top 10%, so it's not that much different than CA. We're moving back to CA next month, and it will be like taking a 10% pay cut because of the income tax.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,542 times
Quote:
NV does not have a state income tax. I wouldn't say it was the only reason, but it was a major factor in my decision to leave. It really boiled down to one simple question: What infrastructure and services for your average citizen does CA offer that other states with low taxes do not?

After adding all taxes paid to the state and county, I estimate my overall tax burden fell by approx 70% by leaving CA in favor of NV. Multiply the amount saved over 20 or 30 years and it's quite a chunk of change - enough to pay for a child's college education or buy another home with cash.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
I personally know of two elderly people that moved to Nevada to die... one had severe Parkinson's and moved when his CPA informed him how much he could save in Nevada vs. California.

I know others that moved to the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe... taxation was a major factor.

Everyone I know was retired.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoosedn View Post
Well, there's a lot more to the issue than income and sales tax. They are symptoms of things like prop 13 and voter-initiated ballots that pass without sources of funding, which really have drained the state's coffers.
Property Tax revenue increased each of the 30 years since Prop 13 became law... how can increasing revenues drain state coffers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County