Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
She died of Leukemia.
If true, my condolences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
It does depend on where you live, agreed.

I know the area where you live, I've been to that area a few times. I can't stand the fish and sewage smell though. The water is too polluted around there. I'd actually rather live in 20-30 degree hotter weather than smell that all day.
There are days when any beach in Southern California, especially near a drainage entry after a storm, gets a F, but those same beaches get A's, too....the same happens in N. California, too. Trust me, places like Santa Cruz are not exempt.

I see the ocean from my house and get a nice breeze every afternoon. I don't notice any type of stinky smells while standing in my yard and I have a very good nose for such things, so I don't think the o/p should base his choice of accomodation by a fish smell. Fish live in the ocean, so I really don't know why you would even write such a comment. There is definitely no sardine cannery here...one might smell more fish around San Pedro.

When we walk at the harbor, it smells like, um, a harbor. It has ocean water sitting around boats and sometimes a bit of oil in it from the boats...there is sometimes a bit of stagnation, but not enough to make a person gag...that's life. There is a plan to re-dredge and enlarge the harbor....many people are against it because the harbor is quaint and homey. I don't see dead fish floating around in it. There are plenty of healthy gulls, cormorants, herons, pelicans and more that I can't identify who love 'stinky' fish. When we walk down at the Montage, it smells like the ocean..... Salt Creek Beach smells like the ocean. Main Beach in Laguna smells like the ocean. The Strand in San Clemente smells like the ocean. Huntington Beach smells like old volleyballs and sweat <just seeing if you are still reading> The harbor smells like a harbor. If you want to smell 'stinky' fish, you should go to the seal/otter/walrus/pelican 'marine animal' rescue place on Laguna Canyon......they eat them up like candy there!

On top of the cooler weather, there is no smog where I live, so that's a plus. Views of Catalina, especially towards sunset with whispy fog inbetween, are majestic and very relaxing when one is sitting by waves breaking on the rocks in Dana Point.

The harbor area offers lots of lessons--sailing, surfing, paddleboards, kayaks, on and on. There are boats leaving for Catalina, whale watching boats, boating clubs, deep sea fishing boats, picnic areas, all kinds of activities for people who are interested. One does not necessarily have to be a suntan bunny in order to have fun 'at the beach'. I go down 'to the ocean' quite often and almost never end up with 'sand in my shoes'. It's very relaxing....

I'm happy that you live where you do. It definitely sounds like you are better suited to be away from the ocean. It's a good thing that we are all different--I wouldn't want the beach area to be any more populated than it already is.

This will be my last entry on this thread. I am not here to argue or defend. I am just here to share information about my area so that the o/p might be better informed.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post

When we walk at the harbor, it smells like, um, a harbor.
Exactly my point.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,393 times
Thanks everyone! Some of your responses were very helpful!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 30,655 times
I've lived within 20 minutes of the beach for most of my life and have only visited about once every 3-4 years! It's just too crowded. It kind of sucks the fun out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County