U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 AM

18 posts, read 112,384 times

Advertisements

Is Huntington Beach area good for a family with a 5 yr old kid? The house prices there seem to be lower than Irvine (at least the ones not on the beach). Is there a reason for that? Like safety, schools, drug problems, etc that I should be aware of?

I'm looking at the Circle View Elementary School located at 6261 Hooker Dr. Anybody know about this school? The rating for this school on greatschools.net is very high. How's the area around this school? Do you recommend any apartments around this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,958,177 times
My family lived in HB for 3 years. My children attended Harbour View School. Don't know too much about Circle View but the Oceanview school district from what I saw is very good compared to HB independent. The area itself is very family friendly. Lots of nice parks close to the beach etc...

Old 06-16-2007, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,800 times
I grew up in that neighborhood. Circle View has rated high for many years now. The neighborhood itself is nicest on the south end. The north side seems older, not as many people have kept up the houses. Marina High School is across the street. I loved living there because you're close to everything.

If you don't want to be that close to a high school, try looking in this quadrant: West of Goldenwest, South of Edinger, East of Bolsa Chica, North of Talbert. South of Talbert is nice as well, but gets verrry pricey.

Well shoot, just saw you asked about apartments. Stay away from the ones on Edinger. (WiffleTree and ?? can't think of the name) There's lots of places to rent in the Harbour, but then you'd be zoned for a different elem. school.

HB is a nice safe area to raise a family. Lots of great parks, great schools, and shopping. Not as new and cookie cutter as Irvine, but just as good in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,768,291 times
Not sure what schools they feed into, but avoid the apartments at Edwards and Warner. They were just redone but unless they evicted all the tenants, stay away. There's also some apartments down at Slater and Beach Blvd that might come up on a search and look cheap. There's a reason they're cheap. That area's known as the Slater Slums. Good place to find a couple of guys to rip out your lawn, but not a good area to live, if you know what I mean.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 PM

42 posts, read 137,295 times
Default I live in HB now and have raised 2 girls here and can't think on a place in So. Cal. that I'd rather live!

My kids both went thru the public schools here (one is still in HS here and the other is in college in NY) and have had wonderful experiences. The schools are first rate and the teachers too. I will say that at the HS level especially it depends on whether you go the Honors/AP route or not as the best teachers are in the Honors/AP track.
Another aspect of HB life that is phenomenal is the summer Junior Lifeguard program. Both my girls went thru it and my youngest is now in her first year as a working lifeguard at the city beach. Both my girls have been involved in swimming and/or water polo and there is tremendous opportunity for various sports here.
I could go on and on about HB. I lived in the South Bay before coming to HB and there is not comparison. I'm close to retirement and will move away at that time since the wife and I have always wanted to live in a more rural environment, but if I was going to stay it would be right here in HB! Anyway, if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to reply.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 PM

43 posts, read 213,321 times
Default I Liked H.B.

I lived here during the years of 1988-1992 and it was my best experience, and I've been around a few times! It's, in my opinion!, one of the funest and friendliest cities in Ca! I went to Ocean View High and never had one problem! The schools are great, especially when compared to other cities I've lived in! You can't go wrong with living here! Like every city, H.B. too, has its problems, but I never noticed any! There are some older looking areas, like Slater. I believe there's some apartments there, Slater Slums, we called them! But just avoid any bad areas and you'll be okay.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:47 PM

188 posts, read 956,662 times
H.B. is one of the SAFEST CLEANEST CITIES IN THE WORLD> And THE MOST BEAUTIFUL. IT"S PARADISE< I FEEL AT HOME and at ease when visiting. I lived there when I was 21 years old and had a blast. I would love to raise a family there.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 15,636 times
Unhappy Missing Huntington Beach...made big move mistake!

In answer to the posters question, I dont know Circle view school, but had lived (until august) in HB for nearly 20 yrs. A single professional most of my time there, and without kids, but I lived in a beautiful kid friendly community. It was very safe, and I actually did not lock my doors at night (obviously safer to do so)..

Having horses, and finding the cost of keeping them in S CA expensive, I took up a friends offer of moving to Northern KY this past August.... big mistake.. after nearly 3 months I have been able to compare, rent, utilities, food, medical, gas, (and horse stuff) and to be honest I have not saved anything, and regret ever leaving CA...

I live a 60 mile r/t to the nearest Ralphs (Krogers here), and Wallmart, the gas prices here are about the same as when I left CA ($2.90/gal), produce is twice the price (as all is imported from CA !!!), the meat is very poor quality, the Kentuckians are not very health conscious in their diet.. if you are able to find any good meat, it is very expensive and a long drive. My favorite store of all time.. Trader Joes... is a 11/2 hr drive each way in the next state, Ohio....

For me personally, I was not able to buy a home in CA, but was able to have a good lifestyle leasing a nice home, and a few years ago I was placed on permanent SSI due to bone marrow problem and was then living on $14k/yr.. made things much harder, but I moved to a town home and got roommates... life was more humble but it was OK..

I guess what I am wanting to say, is be careful of being tempted by the cheaper and more tranquil way of life in states like Kentucky, etc compared to the 'rat race' of S CA... I miss that rat race, and am trying to figure out how to get back there... I have heard it many times, once you leave CA.. it is very hard (cost wise) to get back there!!!

I am sorry this is a little off the original point. I should have made this a new post... just hope this may help anyone considering moving in/out S CA.

Deborah Jones
Pendleton County
Northern KY
Homesick for S CA..

Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 AM

188 posts, read 956,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones612000 View Post
In answer to the posters question, I dont know Circle view school, but had lived (until august) in HB for nearly 20 yrs. A single professional most of my time there, and without kids, but I lived in a beautiful kid friendly community. It was very safe, and I actually did not lock my doors at night (obviously safer to do so)..

Having horses, and finding the cost of keeping them in S CA expensive, I took up a friends offer of moving to Northern KY this past August.... big mistake.. after nearly 3 months I have been able to compare, rent, utilities, food, medical, gas, (and horse stuff) and to be honest I have not saved anything, and regret ever leaving CA...

I live a 60 mile r/t to the nearest Ralphs (Krogers here), and Wallmart, the gas prices here are about the same as when I left CA ($2.90/gal), produce is twice the price (as all is imported from CA !!!), the meat is very poor quality, the Kentuckians are not very health conscious in their diet.. if you are able to find any good meat, it is very expensive and a long drive. My favorite store of all time.. Trader Joes... is a 11/2 hr drive each way in the next state, Ohio....

For me personally, I was not able to buy a home in CA, but was able to have a good lifestyle leasing a nice home, and a few years ago I was placed on permanent SSI due to bone marrow problem and was then living on $14k/yr.. made things much harder, but I moved to a town home and got roommates... life was more humble but it was OK..

I guess what I am wanting to say, is be careful of being tempted by the cheaper and more tranquil way of life in states like Kentucky, etc compared to the 'rat race' of S CA... I miss that rat race, and am trying to figure out how to get back there... I have heard it many times, once you leave CA.. it is very hard (cost wise) to get back there!!!

I am sorry this is a little off the original point. I should have made this a new post... just hope this may help anyone considering moving in/out S CA.

Deborah Jones
Pendleton County
Northern KY
Homesick for S CA..
I used to bike to the Ralphs and leave my bike outside the store while I shopped (unlocked) and never had any issues.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,793 times
Default safe place in HB to raise family

Hi there,

I'm new on this website and I noticed that you also, like myself are thinking of moving your family to HB. Have you made the move yet? If so, how are you liking the area. Is the educational system at the school you were thinking about taking your kids what you expected or exceeded it?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County