Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM

31 posts, read 79,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Got a job with Cherry Aerospace in Santa Ana. I will be tehre for 1 year and then will rotate to a different location, likely outside of CA. So I am looking to rent a house in a nice area. I have a wife and couple small dogs. So I don't care about schools, just nice area, low crime, good proximity to shopping, restaurants, etc. Also don't want a huge commute to work if possible. The work address is 1224 East Warner Avenue, Santa Ana.

Map: Cherry Aerospace Santa Ana, CA - Google Maps (http://fwd4.me/PNY - broken link)

House - 2 or 3 bedroom
Budget - $1300-$1600/month (possibly more if necessary)

Any recommendations on the areas to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
In Santa Ana, look for a house in Floral Park, Park Santiago, or near South Coast PLaza. There is a nice nieghborhood just off 17th street near Tustin, but I cannot think of the name of it right now. Also right in the area are Orange, (old Town Orange is a great place to live), Tustin, FOuntain Valley. You might be in range of Parts of Irvine.

French Park in Santa Ana is a neat neighborhood, but it is not secluded from the less nice parts of town like Floral Park and Park Santiago. Washington Square is the same.

Mostly I recommend Orange, particularly Old Town.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 PM

How is Manitoba Drive 92704? Looks like "Morning Sunwood" area?

Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawlan View Post
Hi all. Got a job with Cherry Aerospace in Santa Ana. I will be tehre for 1 year and then will rotate to a different location, likely outside of CA. So I am looking to rent a house in a nice area. I have a wife and couple small dogs. So I don't care about schools, just nice area, low crime, good proximity to shopping, restaurants, etc. Also don't want a huge commute to work if possible. The work address is 1224 East Warner Avenue, Santa Ana.

Map: Cherry Aerospace Santa Ana, CA - Google Maps (http://fwd4.me/PNY - broken link)

House - 2 or 3 bedroom
Budget - $1300-$1600/month (possibly more if necessary)

Any recommendations on the areas to look?
You will find it difficult to find a SFH in a decent area on your budget. If the dogs are small enough, you may want to look into a 2 or 3 br townhome or condo.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
You will find it difficult to find a SFH in a decent area on your budget. If the dogs are small enough, you may want to look into a 2 or 3 br townhome or condo.
There are a ton on craigslist in this price region, and they are located all over the place. I simply can't do an apartment with the dogs. Like I said in my OP, I am willing to go a little higher with my budget if need be.

I wish there was a good home rental site. Also wish there was a map of santa ana showing the good areas and areas to avoid...

EDIT: seems like many of those on craigslist are from some scam company called VIP Options. So much for that. Looks like I am going to have to live on the streets...

Last edited by clawlan; 05-21-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Unless you want to live in gang land, expect to pay north of $2000/mo for a single family home. The bad areas of Santa Ana would be the vast majority of it. Even the few nice pockets are still very close to the trash. Try Costa Mesa or Tustin.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Unless you want to live in gang land, expect to pay north of $2000/mo for a single family home. The bad areas of Santa Ana would be the vast majority of it. Even the few nice pockets are still very close to the trash. Try Costa Mesa or Tustin.
Not true a house recently came up on a quiet street on the Orange / Santa Ana border across from a friend of mine. 3 bed bungalow for $1575 a month.

I stayed at my friend's for a month until I got my place and the neighbourhood is very, very safe.

Good prices exist, you just have to find them.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Not true a house recently came up on a quiet street on the Orange / Santa Ana border across from a friend of mine. 3 bed bungalow for $1575 a month.

I stayed at my friend's for a month until I got my place and the neighbourhood is very, very safe.

Good prices exist, you just have to find them.
I agree with you there. Hard though since I currently live over 2000 miles away. I am pretty much stuck with online sources. I will be traveling there for 2 days to look for stuff, but I pretty much need to have them all lined up by that point.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 AM

16 posts, read 38,506 times
Hi, What a small world!! You replied on my post about Kentucky!! I grew up in orange county Ca, My Mom just moved from what she thought was a safe neighborhood in Santa Ana!! Please my friend do not move anywhere in SA, My mom was robbed her first week there!! unfortunately that whole place is really bad!! try looking in Orange, around Chapman college . also The Eastside Costa Mesa, Santa Ana is GangLand it's horrible.(All Hispanic) don't wear red of blue!!stay away from Garden Grove too!(Asian Gangs) I hate to tell ya but you are in for a big shocker. you will have to commute for a safe area . Anaheim Hills ,Mission Viejo (I grew up there) Portola Hills , Trabuco Canyon, some parts of Tustin... please call the police departments in the area you choose and ask them about their gang population!!! Good Luck Be Safe it's wild in Orange County Also Try the Back Bay of Newport( I was born in Newport) your work is really close to Newport Beach ( well california Close!! !!! Ok just talked to Mama, she lived in Washington Square in Santa Ana, on North Olive st!! BADDDDDD, tires slashed , robbed, driveby shootings !!! please please the house's are cute and nice , but do not listen to anyone regarding renting Santa Ana it is so unsafe!! There is a new area around the old Marine Corps base off of Redhill, try looking around there!!

Last edited by Ethansmomie; 05-22-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethansmomie View Post
Hi, What a small world!! You replied on my post about Kentucky!! I grew up in orange county Ca, My Mom just moved from what she thought was a safe neighborhood in Santa Ana!! Please my friend do not move anywhere in SA, My mom was robbed her first week there!! unfortunately that whole place is really bad!! try looking in Orange, around Chapman college . also The Eastside Costa Mesa, Santa Ana is GangLand it's horrible.(All Hispanic) don't wear red of blue!!stay away from Garden Grove too!(Asian Gangs) I hate to tell ya but you are in for a big shocker. you will have to commute for a safe area . Anaheim Hills ,Mission Viejo (I grew up there) Portola Hills , Trabuco Canyon, some parts of Tustin... please call the police departments in the area you choose and ask them about their gang population!!! Good Luck Be Safe it's wild in Orange County Also Try the Back Bay of Newport( I was born in Newport) your work is really close to Newport Beach ( well california Close!! !!! Ok just talked to Mama, she lived in Washington Square in Santa Ana, on North Olive st!! BADDDDDD, tires slashed , robbed, driveby shootings !!! please please the house's are cute and nice , but do not listen to anyone regarding renting Santa Ana it is so unsafe!! There is a new area around the old Marine Corps base off of Redhill, try looking around there!!
Wow, information overload! You gave me lots of areas to check out, thank you. Also, thank you for being so blunt about the gang activity. I had my suspicions but really needed first hand advice. If it's ok with you, I may send you some PM's about areas as I find places to live. How is Huntington Beach area?

Also, feel free to pick my brain about Georgetown or Lexington.

Last edited by clawlan; 05-22-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County