Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 48,827 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I need opinions. I have not been to Oregon and need input. We are leaving California and were considering New England but am now open to Oregon. What is the best place for a familiy with kids(6,8,10)? Price is not an issue. Employment is not an issue. Looking for awesome community and school and outdoor activies.

The internet has been helpful but there is nothing like living someplace.

Any ideas, comments, advice is welcome.

thanks,
Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busbyjoe View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need opinions. I have not been to Oregon and need input. We are leaving California and were considering New England but am now open to Oregon. What is the best place for a familiy with kids(6,8,10)? Price is not an issue. Employment is not an issue. Looking for awesome community and school and outdoor activies.

The internet has been helpful but there is nothing like living someplace.

Any ideas, comments, advice is welcome.

thanks,
Jane

What makes a community awesome? Everyplace in Oregon has outdoor activities. It is why people move here. So...what sized city are you looking for and what defines best place for kids?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 PM

People who value nature and the other people in the community. Opportunities for growth and learning for the kids. Respecting others opinions even if they are not shared. Trying to get away from the consumption and reactive competition.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
You would like Portland, Eugene, Corvallis, and the rural areas around there, I think. Lake Oswego is the consumption-based place you describe (full of S. Californians?) and Bend is definitely full of South Californians.

- Raised in NORTH California (which is more like Oregon).

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbyjoe View Post
People who value nature and the other people in the community. Opportunities for growth and learning for the kids. Respecting others opinions even if they are not shared. Trying to get away from the consumption and reactive competition.

That covers a lot of cities. What size city are you looking for?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 PM

I was raised in southern california, newport beach to be specific. It was charming when I was little and I can not stomach how it has changed. I know a lot of people LOVE the OC but it is not my cup of tea.

I moved to San Francisco when I was younger, studied art and met my husband who was also from socal. We relocated back to Santa Barbara to be closer to family and then to Ojai. If you have to be anywhere Ojai is pretty great but there are too many coming from LA and SB because you can still get a great house with land and be close enough to commute. I hate LA(is that too strong?). If I never go there again I will not have missed anything. My sister is in Brentwood and belongs to all the right clubs and I cringe just being down there. It isn't for me. And I do not like the influence on my children.

My kids are getting older and Ojai is limited. The schools are not impressive...public and private. The teachers are doing their best, they just do not have enough to work with and too many kids to manage.

I think we are all ready for a change. My husband is worried about the weather. Ojai gets too hot so I am looking forward to cool and gray. Interests include gardening, cooking, cooking from the garden, art, reading, walking, hiking, photography, vegetarianism, healthy mindfulness. The kiddos are interested in architecture, woodworking, soccer, snowboarding, biking, computer programming, music, dance, swing dancing and ballet, cooking...they are ready to take it on.

thanks for the help

Old 06-24-2010, 04:35 PM

I looked up Ojai and it has less than 10,000 people it sounds like. So it is pretty small.

I think you should check out Corvallis (40,000 people or so), maybe Eugene if you want to go bigger (150,000 people), or south Salem (150,000). You might also like Silverton which is around 9,000 people.

Our schools here face budget cuts as well. If you are escaping because of the schools, you will face the same problems all across the country. All of our cities will have those tings you are looking for except in the valley you have to travel to the snow.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Ojai is actually bigger due to the surrrounding area outside of city limits. Thanks for the suggestions. The Oregon school system doesn't appear to be quite as challenged as calif., at least more $ is spent per student in Oregon.

Are there areas that are not as gray (more sunny days)?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Glendale, Oregon - Google Search

Howdy busbyjoe & family...

I thunk on it ......& i think y'all mite like Glendale, Oregon.

We live in the mountains but when we go into Glendale fer vittles or such i notice the folks are very friendly & family oriented. I get that impression from reading 'the South County News' paper. I've seen where the whole town backs the childrens learning, sports, etc. It's a small quiet town.

Take you a looksee.

Best of luck on what you choose folks...

Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 PM

thanks Hawk J, it looks a little smaller than what I had in mind. I'm in a smallish town at the moment and sometimes I really wouldn't mind not knowing who everyone and their mother is. Also, am looking for more resources for the kids to sink their teeth into.
thanks again for the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon