U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 43,262 times

Advertisements

lookin for relocation spot with good healthcare, good climate and outdoor recreation. Enjoy city life and sand between my toes-even if it means livin in the dessert. How is the public transit? is this a good fit for someone who is educated and single- do not need night life just mature and good neighbors.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM

15,197 posts, read 37,959,818 times
How do you define city life? Astoria is about 10,000 people or so. Also what is good climate and good health care mean?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,957,672 times
Good Health care? Astoria is average.
Good Climate? If you like cool and wet, Astoria is great!
Outdoor recreation? Cold, wet, water related? Astoria rocks!
City Life? Astoria is small town life.
Sand between my toes? Maybe warm enough for that two months out of the year.
Public transit? Astoria is OK, but not great.
Mature and good neighbors? Astoria is probably OK on that.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM

what would yall suggest?
city life... I mean walking distance to almost anywhere I need to go, lotsa parks and conveinance.

I like 4 season life and need to see snow. I need 4 season outdoor life/recreational activities. Don't want much huh?

innovative and proogressive research hospitals is also a need. Single so would like to be somewhere to meet eligible men- not drunken party animals but men.

Suggestions in WA or OR welcome

Old 06-30-2010, 03:14 PM

If you need to see snow you need to go to central Oregon but you won't get a research hospital. You sound like you want Portland, but it doesn't snow very much there. We all get our snow fix by driving to the mountains.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Check out La Grande maybe?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM

so how far are the mountains-truthfully since we are talkin about mountain roads here.

Does Portland have plenty recreational activities for all 4 seasons or do people stay inside in winter?- I hate that! I want to explore and wander with my dog all yr long?

La Grande-hmmmm
looked at it but didn't seem to have much healthcare

Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri0997 View Post
so how far are the mountains-truthfully since we are talkin about mountain roads here.

Does Portland have plenty recreational activities for all 4 seasons or do people stay inside in winter?- I hate that! I want to explore and wander with my dog all yr long?

La Grande-hmmmm
looked at it but didn't seem to have much healthcare

No people go skiing all the time on Hood. When I lived in the West Hills of Portland it took me 1 1/2-2 hours to get to Hood for skiing. People go Mountain climbing, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing up there as well. You can hike all the trails in the winter but they are muddy from the rain so you have to be really careful. It seems every year someone falls off a trail and dies during the spring.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM

Now we are talkin- you just mentioned my favorite activities-except death.
But still plenty winter activities?
Seems that the river and george have a lot of activities too.

I tend to get bored easily!

Do they ever have like some type of public transit to take people to mountains like in the Lake Chelan areas in WA?

Don't own any ski gear or snowshoes yet?-can those be expensive to get started and are those expensive hobbies like Golf is? I would prefer cross country skiing, I don't think I need a hill to hurt me. I do fine w/o a hill helping me. Broke 6 bones first time I went ice skating on a pond-was beautiful though. Dogs also enjoyed it.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Yep, George and me can always find something to do year "round!

I'm here all week................................Try the Veal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon