U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 21,402 times

Advertisements

Hi, my girlfriend and I are wanting to relocate out of Southern Indiana once I graduate and we can sell our house. As far as location goes, I grew up in Central California and have always been a fan of Northern Cal and the Pacific Northwest. My girlfriend can't seem to shake the idea that it actually isn't as cold as she thinks up there and that we get considerably more ice in the winter as well as more drastically cold Winters and blazing hot Summers. We're pretty laid back liberal minded people and I am dying to live close to the mountains and the coast. Not necessarily directly ON the coast but Portland and Eugene are just a short drive away from coast and mountains. The pictures I pull up of the area almost bring tears to my eyes they're so beautiful. Where we live now it's at least a six hour drive to any terrain that isn't flat farmland and I'm an outdoorsy kind of person.

My questions are, how is the job market in the Portland/Eugene area? Is the housing market overly inflated like California? Is it as calm and laid back as it appears? I don't have much of a problem living in a large city but my girlfriend despises large cities. What do you think?

I should also mention that I am a musician that loves to play out, so if there is a pretty open music scene anywhere in Oregon I'd love to hear it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,337,121 times
The short answers... Terrible. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM

14,983 posts, read 36,862,421 times
The job market stinks unless you have some special skill that is in demand.
The market is still a bit inflated but we are close to where it should be based on incomes.
Yes Oregon is calm and laid back. Probably the biggest complaint of relocaters is the slowness of Oregon.
If she despises large cities I would go for Eugene. It probably has the best music scene for a medium sized city. Portland has more of that urban energy.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM

My girlfriend is graduating with a degree in HR and I'm completing my Bachelors in History with intention of continuing on to law school unless I just happen to luck out and find something great. We don't necessarily need to live in Portland or Eugene, I just figured that there would be more opportunity there. I guess I was wrong... How is the job/housing market throughout the state as a whole? Is there a big fluctuation or is it pretty much the same as the major metropolitan areas? Thanks again guys.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 PM

Well with those degrees I'm highly dubious about getting a great job out here. We have three law schools in Oregon. University of Oregon law which is in Eugene, Willamette University Law school here in Salem, and Lewis and Clark Law in Portland.

Employment opportunities are the best in Portland. It has around 9% unemployment. Salem is at 10.8%. I think Eugene is around 10.4%.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 PM

16,498 posts, read 19,984,879 times
Can you win "America has Talent" ? Then you woodn't need a job Bro.

Best of Luck to ye.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,337,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well with those degrees I'm highly dubious about getting a great job out here. We have three law schools in Oregon. University of Oregon law which is in Eugene, Willamette University Law school here in Salem, and Lewis and Clark Law in Portland.

Employment opportunities are the best in Portland. It has around 9% unemployment. Salem is at 10.8%. I think Eugene is around 10.4%.
As to the latter...

It is worse outside Portland, Salem, and Eugene metro areas. In some areas it's really terrible, upwards of 20%, and unofficially probably over that.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
It is worse outside Portland, Salem, and Eugene metro areas. In some areas it's really terrible, upwards of 20%, and unofficially probably over that.
Wow, I would've figured the opposite. Now you guys are really bumming me out.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 AM

640 posts, read 1,507,233 times
Don't be bummed out! Life is full of adventures, it's supposed to be interesting and fun - enjoy yourself! Do something crazy! Take a chance! Rise to the challenge! Seize the day! (sorry I'm yelling - I just got really excited for a moment there...)

Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
As to the latter...

No many of the smaller cities have been hammered by unemployment. We aren't trying to bum you out. Just trying to help you be realistic about what is happening in the Oregon economy. In fairness to Oregon, it stinks for work in many states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon