Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times

Advertisements

I've read up on the threads here about hiking and camping the Oregon Coast.
Didn't see any specifically approach this topic though.

Has anyone hiked the whole thing or knows someone that has?

Supposedly it's around 360 miles with 40%(? from memory... might be off here) of it that's on existing roads or highways.
I downloaded the 'guide' already and e=read it...pretty common sense stuff.

More info I'm reading:
http://www.greatoutdoors.com/publish...on-coast-trail
http://www.bonniehendersonwrites.com...hp?page_id=261
This Oregon Coast Trail Yahoo Group seems pretty dead...but I'll ask over there as well:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oregoncoasttrail/

How is that stretch of 101? I know down by Arcata it's very very narrow and I would think twice of hiking along that area. I mean any 'stretches' of highway that are covered on the trail...not the whole 'stretch' of road from Brookings to Astoria.

How isolated is it? How well established is the route provided online? Etc.
Can you think of any other questions I should be considering?

Also, I've heard it's very windy and mostly 'come-and-go' wet with always a chance of showers.
Any tips on camping in that type of weather. I'm wondering if I should go lite and just roughit and dry out in the sun or go heavy and carry tarps and such.
Hmmmm...I may not even go! But I'm still curious.

Just doing preliminary work here looking to uncover any dangers or as many viewpoints as possible.
I plan on calling the Oregon Parks Department ...any suggestion on good questions?

Thanks.

Last edited by brubaker; 07-02-2010 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon