Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Excited, upset, or indifferent about this, it looks like Oregon hit a milestone this summer as we crossed the 4 million people living in the state marker this past summer. We are predicted to hit the 5 million marker sometime in the 2030s.

Oregon population hits 4 million - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,551,091 times
Wonderful. More Californians to deal with. [long sigh]

Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,454 times
During 2014, 35,000 Californians moved to Oregon and 21,000 Oregonians moved to California. 22,000 people moved from Washington to Oregon and 27,000 moved from Oregon to Washington. Most of the difference there was probably people moving from Oregon's section of Portland's metro to Vancouver, Washington's side.

I made a prediction a while back that Oregon was going to start getting disaffected transplants from liberal enclaves in increasingly conservative states like Texas and Wisconsin. A lot of the newbies may be from Austin and Madison.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Wonderful. More Californians to deal with. [long sigh]
I know that is the stereotype, but I don't know how true that is today, I have seen a lot of East coast and Midwest people moving here as well.

It will be interesting to see how the state handles this growth over the next 15-20 years.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,466,792 times
Based upon the questions that appear here, I'd guess most of the net influx is from California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. I think some of it is political, some of it is granola, some of it is just that Oregon seems like a beautiful dreamland, and some of it is a combination of the above.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,188,345 times
When talking about who is moving to Oregon don't forget Hispanics, even though they don't seen to post here very often.

Hispanics are by far the fastest growing group in Oregon.

2003-2013 the entire population of Oregon grew by 10.8%. The Hispanic population grew by 47.1% - from 9.3% of the population to 12.3%.

Oregon Workforce & Economic Information: Population Growth Faster Among Minority Groups

Old 11-19-2015, 10:31 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I made a prediction a while back that Oregon was going to start getting disaffected transplants from liberal enclaves in increasingly conservative states like Texas and Wisconsin. A lot of the newbies may be from Austin and Madison.
Really doubt that. State politics do not have a dramatic affect on day to day life no matter where you live. After living here for five yrs, I note that Oregon liberals like to think they have something special going on - they don't.

People come here for a variety of reasons.
For us - it was work and fact that after 40 plus yrs of Wisconsin winters, I wanted out.

Maybe there are some stats to prove one way or the other.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
During 2014, 35,000 Californians moved to Oregon and 21,000 Oregonians moved to California. 22,000 people moved from Washington to Oregon and 27,000 moved from Oregon to Washington. Most of the difference there was probably people moving from Oregon's section of Portland's metro to Vancouver, Washington's side.

That is an interesting observation, though so far the people I personally have seen coming here have come from places that are known for having harsh weather conditions. I don't blame anyone wanting to move to someplace with more mild weather.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:31 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Based upon the questions that appear here, I'd guess most of the net influx is from California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. I think some of it is political, some of it is granola, some of it is just that Oregon seems like a beautiful dreamland, and some of it is a combination of the above.
I am amazed at the number of people I meet who come to Oregon with vague dreams of opening up a Kombucha bar, being an environmental activist & eventually a lawyer, bicycle repairman by day, beer entrepreneur by night, starting a marijuana farm or something equally ridiculous. I used to make fun of them as stereotypes, but it's very real.

Quote:
Really doubt that. State politics do not have a dramatic affect on day to day life
As someone who comes from Texas, yes it does matter. While there are parts of Texas you can go and dye your hair blue, have a sleeve tattoo & stretched ear piercings and be completely accepted, they are concentrated in increasingly expensive parts of the major cities. South Austin, southeast & near-downtown Dallas, Montrose district of Houston, a few other blips in San Antonio or Fort Worth. Elsewhere in the state it will be hard for you to get a job and people will stare/snicker at you. In Oregon I've seen that type all over the state with little to no criticism. Multiply that problem times 2 if you are gay. All liberals in the state want to move from Midland or Childress to Austin, so it's increasingly expensive there (I heard that rent for my old Austin apartment I had in 2010 is almost twice as much now).

Long story short, you may not be able to be yourself, affordably, in Texas. In Oregon I've seen the hippie, crunchy type accepted, or at least not called out, from Portland to Brookings to Maupin.

Another part of day-to-day life where personal lifestyle preference matters is at church. I had a hard time, even living in the Austin area, finding a church that was not highly conservative. Like asking my girlfriend "where is your man?" when I'm not standing right next to her conservative - in other words the girl needs someone to take care of her. Also they will call Obama a Muslim Communist from the pulpit.

In Oregon even the most conservative churches I've been to are what I would have called "moderately coded" in Texas, meaning they say stuff that conservatives understand but that people not in tune with right-wing politics would not understand and just think it was religious talk.

It's been nice not having to hide who I am at church.

So yes, lifestyle factors matter and politics are an important lifestyle factor that radiates out in a number of ways. Jobs are obviously the #1 factor anyone moves anywhere, but the lifestyle factors will influence people if they have more than one choice.

Last edited by redguard57; 11-25-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I am amazed at the number of people I meet who come to Oregon with vague dreams of opening up a Kombucha bar, being an environmental activist & eventually a lawyer, bicycle repairman by day, beer entrepreneur by night, starting a marijuana farm or something equally ridiculous. I used to make fun of them as stereotypes, but it's very real.
Many of those things and people are what fuels our small business growth. I am all for anyone who wishes to move to Portland and Oregon that wants to start a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon