Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 PM

101 posts, read 134,271 times

Advertisements

Are there any lakes in Southwestern Oregon that you can buy a home on.I love canoeing and fishing for trout.I'd like to keep it west of the cascades for milder winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Water follows the path of least resistance. In the West, that means it flows downhill to the ocean. Lakes naturally form in flat, glaciated parts of the country with summer precipitation like the Midwest and Southeast. The mountains of the West are river country; the natural geology is not conducive to the accumulation of water in sizable bodies. There will be a few mountain cirques in the high country. Natural lakes are rare and are generally protected as public land, typically National Forest or BLM. The only other kind of "lake" is a dammed reservoir, but these are also uncommon and the dams are subject to decommissioning. There are a few estuarine lakes inland from the ocean around Coos Bay. Other than that, you'll just have to accept that summer-dry areas of the mountainous West aren't really lake country.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Zip. Nada. There are a FEW lake houses (Lake of the Woods, maybe a few around Hyatt Lake or Emigrant Lake), but you'll pay a fortune, or must be part of the family to get it in an inheritance. Plus some lake houses are built on Public land, so the Forest Service actually owns the land. It's complicated. One great thing about the West in general is that lakes don't come with houses.

Also, as mentioned, lakes are few and far between, and most are reservoirs.

About the closest I know of that's affordable is boat houses on Lake Shasta, CA. You may also check into the coast. There are houses that have ocean views.

There are also some along the rivers... like the Rogue River.

HTH

Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Yes, Ive been heavily looking at the Rogue and Umpqua river for homes.But flooding could be bad along the rivers.I canoe so I would want fairly calm waters.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Find some land that has some good artesian springs & low areas you can dam up. Make your own lake/pond.

Bentonite clay helps seal areas.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:15 PM

Now I know why Oregon is called the Beaver State!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: