U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 AM

14 posts, read 52,918 times

Advertisements

Can any one tell me some pros and cons about these two cities? We are looking for a mild climate, good schools for the kids, fair economy. We enjoy a lot of out door activities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 17,160,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayleen36 View Post
Can any one tell me some pros and cons about these two cities? We are looking for a mild climate, good schools for the kids, fair economy. We enjoy a lot of out door activities.
Depends on what you consider a mild climate - Klamath Falls will definitely have snow on the ground for days to a week, a couple of times in winter. Around 120 day growing season, but will cool nights and late frosts possible - elevation around 4,000' and arid, high desert. Medford has a lot longer growing season, more rain (although not by Willamette Valley standards) less snow in winter but a hotter summer (at least 10 days over 100 per summer) and higher humidity.

The economy in Oregon in general is pretty poor (Oregon always has been one of the last places to "recover" from recessions, based on industry profiles) and both Medford and Klamath Falls have been hit hard. Medford is a higher population area with a more diverse industry base. Medford has many more shopping and dining choices than Klamath Falls.

Don't know much about the schools in either place.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM

54 posts, read 280,484 times
Medford has much more of a "city" feel than Klamath Falls, since it is considerably larger. If you are attracted to the weather in the Medford area but would prefer more of a small town feel, take a look at Grants Pass (population about 30,000). Schools there seem to have a good reputation also and it's only a 30 minute drive from Medford, if you occasionally want some of the larger city amenities.
Good luck on your search,
minorbrew

Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 52,918 times
Default thanks

Thanks I'll look into Grants Pass, also how much humidity ? I lived in florida for 3 years and hated it. Here in Colorado is much better it is just the winters are so long and cold. As far as the economy my time line is about 2 years and my job will transfer so it will be husband looking for work - machine maintenance. I grew up in northern California and loved the weather but not the crime. I also like the idea that Medford is less than 5 hours from my family in California.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM

9,728 posts, read 19,420,574 times
My wife is from Medford. She doesn't think the humidity is much higher in Medford than here in NE Wyoming (similar to Colorado). From what I've seen of it I tend to disagree, but she lived there for 44 years and has been here for 11, so she ought to know.

Medford gets lots of wet, foggy weather in November and December. After that it rains. Winter temps are much milder there. Temps seldom drop below the teens.

Klamath Falls has weather more like Denver's -- cooler with more snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon