Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 36,538 times

Advertisements

We chose Newport out of the 5 cities that my DH got offered a job. I'm super excited! He starts at the beginning of next month, so I have a month to pack up and get everything ready. We still don't have a house, I think we're going to wait until we get there so we can actually look at some houses. We'll just be renting in Newport, Toledo or Waldport, wherever we can find a house that fits our needs.

Anyone live there? Or have any advice for a newcomer?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
I don't live there, but I visit regularly. My advice at this point is - have a wonderful time!

Do you have any specific questions at this point?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks!

I've been thinking about specifics.

How do I protect our cars from rust? We're in the Pheonix, AZ area now, and have both lived in AZ our whole lives, so rust has never been an issue.

Do people drink the tap water?

Are there any toddler classes, like music, dance, gymnatstics, ect? We have an almost 3 year old and would like to get her involved in something.

Is there a free standing birth center in town?

Thanks for any answers you have!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:47 PM

54 posts, read 118,689 times
Congrats! Its always nice to hear of someone landing a job and being excited about relocating. I have only visited Newport, but we love it. Although its crowded and congested in the summer, its a nice small town feel. The port will be expanding since the Pacific Fleet of NOAA is coming.

I'm sure they have a Park & Rec Dept with classes for kids. You may want to look into preschools right away in case there is a wait list. The water seems fine to us. Salt air is tough on houses, cars etc. I would think you would want a garage, beyond that not sure. Perhaps the local car dealers have ideas.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
From what I understand, Newport's tap water comes from a nearby reservoir, and is considered to be quite good. It is not extensively treated with chlorine or other additives.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Is there a good hospital near Newport?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM

There is a hospital in Newport. I don't know how good it is, but my husband feels good enough about it that he took a job there.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
Keep your car clean and waxed. A garage will help keep rust at bay but nothing will stop it entirely.

I don't know what a "free standing birth center" is, but the visual I have of what it might be, doesn't sound very comfortable. I would like to kindly suggest a reclined position!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM

LOL! I've known a few women who have given birth standing up! What I meant was a place to have a baby, run by midwifes that's not connected to the hospital. It's a great option for woman who don't want a homebirth, but also don't want a medically managed birth.

Thank you for your reply, hopefully we'll get a house with a garage!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:22 PM

113 posts, read 720,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnyman View Post
Thanks!

I've been thinking about specifics.

How do I protect our cars from rust? We're in the Pheonix, AZ area now, and have both lived in AZ our whole lives, so rust has never been an issue.

Do people drink the tap water?

Are there any toddler classes, like music, dance, gymnatstics, ect? We have an almost 3 year old and would like to get her involved in something.

Is there a free standing birth center in town?

Thanks for any answers you have!

Protect a vehicle from rust from my experience

1. rinse vehicle regularly with hose water. Just a simple hose down in the mornings generally, even underneath and the wheel wells.
2. park on concrete or gravel on top of ground vapor barrier. Rust forms on the undercarriage from some kind of ion reaction from the metal and the moist ground happens. (I am not a scientist, just what someone told me when I had a vehicle just about rot away in one winter parked on grass.)
3. keep it covered. Not necessarily a car cover, but a car port is suffice. A garage is ideal. For storing a car in a garage for a long period of time, park on a plastic barrier. (for same ion reaction factor)
4. Drive. Drive your car. The longer it sits still, the faster rust comes.
5. Take care of paint/rock chips. A good detail once a year will be wondrous to your daily driver.
6. Don't park under sappy trees all the time (in summer). The sap is real sticky, and messes up the wipers and windshield, nevermind getting all over the paint.
7. Keep your battery terminals clean, and your ground connections solid. Corroded ground straps cause battery drains, collapsed cells, and other electrical disasters in today's wonderfully made circuit boards on wheels.

Water

I always had a sink filter for cooking and drinking. Yet I would not be afraid to drink it if I had to. Big Creek Reservoir is the Newport watershed, well maintained area, competent city water employees. I had rain collection barrels for the summer garden watering.

Kids activities

Three year old, find out about the Nye Beach Montessori. Linda Yapp Nye Beach Montessori I know many children that went through that program, most to all are incredible children. Turning into very responsible individuals. Expensive, but they work with tuition's I believe. From there you will find the circles of mothers, and you'll fit into one eventually.

(Forget about gymnastics anywhere on the coast)

And your question about free standing birthing centers? Doubt it, but there are plenty of mid-wives and home birth options.

Hope this helps. One more thing, if your thinking of Toledo to live, stay on the far east side. You will never smell the GP mill.
I would avoid Waldport. Nice people, pretty town setting, but nothing happening there.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon