Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 AM

9 posts, read 39,313 times

Advertisements

Hi

I will be attending Oregon State University as an international grad student this fall. I'm currently outside the country and I have someone in Corvallis looking for apartments for me. I have found some decent apartments in South East Corvallis but my contact in Corvallis tells me that South East Corvallis is not a good place to live. I've searched all over the net and I haven't seen anyone mention this. Actually, it seems like a pretty nice place being close to Willamette park (and river).

I know its slightly further away from Campus than most would like, but i don't care about that. I've heard that that area of Corvallis is flat anyway, so 2-3 miles of biking won't be a big deal.

The alternative apartments which he is suggesting I go to are not as appealing to me and I would very much prefer not to move to a new place after a couple of month.

Is there anything in particular wrong with South East Corvallis? I've noticed that it doesn't happen to have as many trees as the places north of the campus.

Thanks
Hadi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,484 times
I never heard that SE Corvallis is a bad area. When you say not a good place to live are you saying it's unsafe? And what are you calling SE? Corvallis is a safe town & I've known people who have lived in a number of different neighborhoods there. Are you talking about near Avery Park?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 39,313 times
I'm talking about a little further south. Around Willamette Park (close to the river). Goodnight ave. and SW pickford st. are where the houses I'm looking at are located.

I'm not sure. He didn't give me details. I have the feeling he just was brushing me off.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
SE Corvallis down near Willamette Park has a lot of new development. I don't think it is a bad place to live at all. It may not be the lush green hills of NW Corvallis, and it does have denser housing than some other parts of town, but it certainly isn't dangerous or unappealing. I lived in Corvallis for over 10 years until just a couple of years ago and I knew someone who owns a home in that part of town. She loved living there. I think you would be fine there.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM

218 posts, read 721,128 times
Although NW Corvallis is more desirable. There is nothing wrong with SE Corvallis. I have a friend that lives in that area in a apartment complex a block from 7 Eleven on SE Viewmont st, I have several times walk from downtown to his apartment and alway felt safe. Corvallis is a great place to live, I lived there for about 7 years and moved out when I lost my job, but I hope to move back in the next couple years.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
Nothing wrong with that part of town. Pretty safe, too. Known several students who lived there.

Only *real* negatives are a little more crime-but not very much at all, Corvallis is in general pretty safe, not having a bunch of shopping right by the house, and distance from Campus. If you can bike 2-3 miles no problem, you're fine...cut through Avery park.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM

218 posts, read 721,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Nothing wrong with that part of town. Pretty safe, too. Known several students who lived there.

Only *real* negatives are a little more crime-but not very much at all, Corvallis is in general pretty safe, not having a bunch of shopping right by the house, and distance from Campus. If you can bike 2-3 miles no problem, you're fine...cut through Avery park.
correct, Here is todays Crime Watch in Corvallis (Aug. 4) http://gazettetimes.com/news/local/a...cc4c002e0.html

You will be fine in that area.

Cool Corvallis Tip! On home footballs games, you can legally drink alcohol (open container) in public far as 2 blocks from campus and the stadium.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM

478 posts, read 785,393 times
Nothing at all wrong with SE Corvallis. I've lived in Corvallis for 23 years and I have yet to find any reason to dislike that part of town. I'd like to live in the hills in the NW part of town, but all of Corvallis is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon