Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 28,828 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Oregon and would like to know how is everyone on interracial relationships. Where is the best place to live under those circumstance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 04:48 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,538 times
Just as a guess I'd say probably Portland or Eugene would be the best places for an interracial couple. It might be accepted some other places too. I'm just afraid that some of the isolated towns may not be too accepting yet.

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-12-2006 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-15-2006, 12:48 AM

14 posts, read 73,072 times
Default PDX and perhaps Eugene

Outside of Portland and Eugene I'd say it may be a problem. Don't know about Bend.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 PM

45 posts, read 256,027 times
Default Tolerance is quite high in Oregon, believe it or not

Let me start out by saying I am a white guy that once owned an African import store. I have lived in Medford, Springfield, Roseburg, and Eugene and can honestly say they were quite tolerant in all areas with mixed racial couples. Though movies and news seem to stereo-type Oregon as a bunch of "rednecks" the stereo-type is quite false. You do have a few idiots (like everywhere) who find such things against custom, but the chance that it will cause problems are too scarce to truly worry. With all of the interracial couples that have either wandered my stores or interacted with me, it was not the white people that had situations but the African-Americans. One of my African-American co-workers dated white men and she would often get hostile remarks from African-American men saying she was betraying her race. We both agreed that pigment color does not make somebody one race or another. You can't slip down the Nile river and say "this longitude and latitude - they are all white. Those people on the other side of this line are all black." It doesn't work that way. I know you've heard the lecture before but because of the stereo-type Oregon has had, it probably is more the reason why it pushes to stop racism. I do hear black people state that they do get racist remarks shouted at them, but I've talked to my friends (who are black if it must be clarified) that say black people help each other less than in many other states. No matter how tense of a subject this may be to bring up, the subject must be stated. I know that being a white person owning an African import store, I must warn you that I found far more hatred between black Africans with African-Americans (and vis-versa) then between white and black people. It's been my experience when people say interracial it usually means between black and white so the information I provide focuses upon that subject though toleration of all pigment colors is quite strong in our state. It might reflect upon our state being quite tolerant in various religious practices (highest percentage of aetheism in the US).

Last edited by QuintusCinna; 08-15-2006 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 242,756 times
Don't waste one moment of your life being concerned about the judgment of others, no matter where you live.

When you are 20 years old, you worry over what everyone thinks about you.
When you are 40, you don't CARE what everyone thinks about you.
When you are 60, you realize that nobody thought about you at all.....

Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 28,828 times
Great advice from everyone. Now I have lots of areas to look into. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 AM

58 posts, read 297,992 times
NW portland is quite tolerant of such if you ask me.

Areas you dont want to be interracial and live:

Boring
Damascus
Troutdale
Beaverton
Hillsboro

Basically hick or hoity toity towns.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 PM

9 posts, read 49,607 times
Smile Interracial here too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cay2on View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Oregon and would like to know how is everyone on interracial relationships. Where is the best place to live under those circumstance?
Hi There... my husband and I are looking into moving to OR also. We were wondering the same thing, because we even get stares in CA ... which to me is RIDICULOUS. I'm a Korean American Adoptee (now that was a whole lot to say) and my husband is Irish/Scottish American. Heheh, so basically, we're Korean/White.

When we recently visited, no one gave us a second look... and I didn't even get anyone shocked that I spoke perfect english. Which I DO get in CA! I would have to say they were really nice there... we were in Coos Bay.

Hope this helps! Don't worry about race! If you're in love and have a great family and friends, then who cares there's no color line for LOVE! Good luck to you!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 PM

9 posts, read 49,607 times
Smile Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintusCinna View Post
Let me start out by saying I am a white guy that once owned an African import store. I have lived in Medford, Springfield, Roseburg, and Eugene and can honestly say they were quite tolerant in all areas with mixed racial couples. Though movies and news seem to stereo-type Oregon as a bunch of "rednecks" the stereo-type is quite false. You do have a few idiots (like everywhere) who find such things against custom, but the chance that it will cause problems are too scarce to truly worry. With all of the interracial couples that have either wandered my stores or interacted with me, it was not the white people that had situations but the African-Americans. One of my African-American co-workers dated white men and she would often get hostile remarks from African-American men saying she was betraying her race. We both agreed that pigment color does not make somebody one race or another. You can't slip down the Nile river and say "this longitude and latitude - they are all white. Those people on the other side of this line are all black." It doesn't work that way. I know you've heard the lecture before but because of the stereo-type Oregon has had, it probably is more the reason why it pushes to stop racism. I do hear black people state that they do get racist remarks shouted at them, but I've talked to my friends (who are black if it must be clarified) that say black people help each other less than in many other states. No matter how tense of a subject this may be to bring up, the subject must be stated. I know that being a white person owning an African import store, I must warn you that I found far more hatred between black Africans with African-Americans (and vis-versa) then between white and black people. It's been my experience when people say interracial it usually means between black and white so the information I provide focuses upon that subject though toleration of all pigment colors is quite strong in our state. It might reflect upon our state being quite tolerant in various religious practices (highest percentage of aetheism in the US).

I just wanted to say I think you're outlook is right on. I think it's ridiculous for there to be stero-types and racial boundary lines! And what's mainly amazing is, most of the racism that does exist is sometimes within the same cultures. For example, I'm a Korean adoptee (my adoptive mom and dad are Irish/English) and fellow CA Korean's cannot stand that I'm "too Americanized and white-washed". They also consider it a real slap in the face and ultimate disgrace marrying a "White" man. Ironically, right now I'm in a psychology class and we're learning about this!

There should be no color line to love. That's my opinion.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 AM

38 posts, read 187,893 times
When I think Oregon, intolerant is one the last words I'd use to describe the state. Well, except if you try to pump your own gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon