Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,290 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move from California to Ashland, Oregon. I love the upscale, but yet small community atmosphere of Ashalnd. Does Ashland have a gay community for residents? Because Ashland is a locale for college students is this a problem for the residents? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Hi rschwind,

Ashland is definitely upscale and there is a healthy gay community, I believe. It is a nice place to live, but the economy is in the crapper, so make sure you have a job in hand or another option before moving here. It is a great place to live, and most current residents are wealthy transplants from coastal California. Shouldn't be a big social stretch, but it is small, and you see the same people everywhere. Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM

25 posts, read 74,873 times
Hi, rschwind - just a word to the wise. Try to spend some time in Ashland before you move here. I've lived here for 3 years and it's not what I thought it would be like after many, many visits. It's a very small town - everybody knows everybody's business. It's a town that tries to look nice but is actually quite mean. Example: the dog policy. Nobody - gay, straight, handicapped, athletic - nobody can ever, ever, take a dog into a city park even on a leash. The fines are astronomical. The far-out youth get hassled like crazy here and the overall attitude is very buttoned up. It's a tourist town, through and through. Nobody seems to know who the 900-lb gorilla is who hates dogs, but whoever it is, watch out. Really - try it out before you throw your lot in in Ashland, Oregon. I wish to heaven that I had. Now I'm stuck here until the economy picks up and it will be possible to move. Best of luck.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM

48 posts, read 188,461 times
Default Ashland

Ashland is the envy of the valley here and is very nice. There is a gay community, along with an accepting straight populous. It is a bit of an island though as only neighboring town of Talent is as liberal and open minded. There is a heavy focus on the arts and education, but not much else. Its a nice, but expensive place to live!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

25 posts, read 74,873 times
Ashland is the envy of lots of people in So. Oregon - which is largely poor and not very sophisticated. Sorry GoBeavs! but Ashland is a rather mean little place. The "arts" are mediocre (but warm-hearted - lots of enthusiasm). It's basically a tourist trap, and the many, many regulations that limit life here are designed to lull tourists into thinking Ashland is perfect. It's all -- all -- about getting money out of those tourist pockets. The citizens are of minimal concern, as long as they pay their high property taxes.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,044 times
I currently live in Bend and might be transferred to Medford with hopes of buying house in Ashland. Can anyone share their experiences of living in both of these area's, such as what they found in costs of living for electricity, food (Winco), gasoline, natural gas, insurance rates for mortgage/vehicles, etc. Would appreciate any info so I can hopefully make a sound decision about this.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:58 PM

17 posts, read 12,916 times
I know this is an old tread, but my family and I visited Oregon, and stayed in Ashland (only went there for the hotel stay), not to actual visit the town. The town is small and clean in terms of the upkeep, but there are LOTS of drifters there at just about every corner in their 'downtown' area. Nice local people but I believe that is where all of the 1960's Woodstock people ended up residing?? I see a lot of psychedelia folks there with their 1960's type clothing. I was shocked to see Hispanics there with Mexican restaurants, as I am Hispanic, but the food is not really worth bragging about. However, the so-called described 'upscale' community there is not what I would identify it as. I see it as an older aged retirement community that is relatively quiet and the people keep to themselves. I should have stayed in Medford as it was larger in comparison with more places to eat. Anyhow, just my .02 cents.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:34 AM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
The high point of Ashland, IMO, is that it has a Greek restaurant, unlike Medford (at least when I visited).

Real estate prices are insane.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:50 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
The high point of Ashland, IMO, is that it has a Greek restaurant, unlike Medford (at least when I visited).
It also has a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory store... the only one in S Oregon.

Old 08-28-2021, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,562 times
Live in Ashland currently. It's a beautiful, small city in so many ways: Great hiking, mountains, lakes, Mount Ashland, nice downtown (while a little too many shops I can't find a reason to go into), good coffee and restaurants, good groceries, decent medical care, EXCEPT:
The climate. We wanted a warmer climate than from where we came. Last year wasn't too terrible, fairly normal with a few days of hotter than normal, and then of course the fires. BUT: there is a new normal developing here which is: drought (irrigation shut off super early this year), extreme heat (started in June and has not let up), and SMOKE. We have had 2 months of smoke. Terrible air quality. That mitigates much of what is attractive about this area. No hiking or outdoors when you walk outside and it feels like you stepped into a furnace that smells like a campfire. Ashland itself does a lot of fire mitigation, which means some smoke from controlled burns in winter.
And, home prices are very high, if you are looking to escape that.
It's depressing, because it really should be a wonderful place to live.
It's a tiny bubble of pretty progressive, in what is really a very southern oregon county. Medford is a mess. Homeless everywhere, Bear Creek Park which should be awesome is full of tents, garbage and needles. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon