U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,788 times

Advertisements

My family and I are really wanting to move to Roseburg possibly next year. I curently work at the welfare office where I reside in CA (need to get out of the desert) and I see no jobs there really right now. Do you think this will change by next year. Also, a few questions on Roseburg. Are the people in Roseburg really nice? Here in California, people are very very rude and I cannot handle the disrespect any longer and dont want my children around it any longer. Believe me, it gets bad at times. LOL. Also, I want somewhere where my family can just live a simple life and have peace and quiet and greenery. Any help would be much appreciated and I thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:16 PM

16,652 posts, read 20,239,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonbyjc View Post
My family and I are really wanting to move to Roseburg possibly next year. I curently work at the welfare office where I reside in CA (need to get out of the desert) and I see no jobs there really right now. Do you think this will change by next year. Also, a few questions on Roseburg. Are the people in Roseburg really nice? Here in California, people are very very rude and I cannot handle the disrespect any longer and dont want my children around it any longer. Believe me, it gets bad at times. LOL. Also, I want somewhere where my family can just live a simple life and have peace and quiet and greenery. Any help would be much appreciated and I thank you

The folks at the VA hospital are nice.

As the crow flies, i live about 60mile away. Sometimes i go over & fish the Umpqua & explore along its banks. I know some backroads shortcuts.

Best of Luck to you.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,380,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonbyjc View Post
By next year? No, there won't be more jobs in Roseburg. I would advise you not to come up anywhere in Oregon without a secure job lined up and waiting for you.

But Roseburgians... or Roseburgites... or Roseburgers... whatever they are called... are pretty friendly people, generally. It is a small town, and much more friendly than most places in California. Pretty little town. A bit redneck, but friendly.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 AM

775 posts, read 1,219,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
By next year? No, there won't be more jobs in Roseburg. I would advise you not to come up anywhere in Oregon without a secure job lined up and waiting for you.

But Roseburgians... or Roseburgites... or Roseburgers... whatever they are called... are pretty friendly people, generally. It is a small town, and much more friendly than most places in California. Pretty little town. A bit redneck, but friendly.

I concur here. Even though the employment situation is bad everywhere, and certainly CA is not the place to be looking for work, we certainly don't have it much better up here. Better make sure you secure a job first before moving or you might regret it. Our unemployment has been bad for awhile now up here--more than 4 yrs I'd say, and of course escalated after the economic mess that started 2 yrs ago, but Oregon has been flooded with a *LOT* of temp staffing services--where you will get absolutely no benefits and without any time frame of being hired on as a regular employee. Of course, it isn't as bad in Roseburg as other towns and cities in the state that are larger, but they're really taking over what jobs there are left here.

Yes, folks in Roseburg are friendly than those in CA--kinda hard to argue about that.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM

6 posts, read 14,535 times
Not all Californians are unfriendly! I grew up in the Northern part of the state, and I'm friendly, LOL

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,047,868 times
Old post, but "No job no reason to come here". That is unless you have an independent income and don't need to work. We would love to have you, but not if your are going on the welfare rolls, and if you don't have the money to get bye for a couple of years on your own, the odds are very high that is where you will end up. Remember also even after it turns around, your skills need to be greater than the locals who are out of work and have been waiting for the same jobs for a couple of years now.

I know some friendly Californians. Disrespected huh? You don’t usually hear that around here except from the young and immature or the wannabe gang bangers.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,601,880 times
I would add that Roseburg is going to start growing 6-18 months after Portland does.

As much as the rest of the state hates to admit it, their economic growth (and fall) is dependent on the Greater Portland Area.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM

107 posts, read 263,616 times
my two cents on an old post...we lived in Roseburg for two years, I did great in retail, but hubby on the other hand had tons of trouble with work. He is in HVAC and really there is not a HUGE calling for that there. So he worked doing maint. for reirement places but the work was not steady, he worked for the golf course, but again the work was not steady.
As a place to raise a family, it's the BEST!! I was born and raised in Cali, but my family all moved to Oregon some 20 years ago. I have fam scattered from Florence to Salem to Eugene.

We had to move from Oregon due to lack of work in the area. Oh we applied all over the state for work for 6 months but couldn't find work and we were going broke

We moved...and moved and moved again back to CA is where we are now and hating it, oh yeah there are jobs here, but we can't do anything fun as anything fun in CA costs too much, example, fishing license, gas, state parks, drag races, any kind of family fun is priced through the roof, disneyland...
In Roseburg, though we were broke, there was tons to do right there in town. Hindsight ya' know..we plan to come back in the next two years, but this time like everyone has stated you need to come with a plan, a job, or lots of money.
Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,788 times
Disrespectful......well I am not young (40) or immature or a gang banger. I was raised by my mother and father (father especially) to be respectful to others. And what I mean by people being disrespectful may be as others say as RUDE. Its very bad here at times. Even just going to the AM/PM to pump some gas you have to get ready for rudeness. And no, I have no intention on going on welfare. In fact, I currently work at the welfare office where I reside. Although I have a heart to help others, I do not plan on moving to Oregon to abuse the system.
I did just get back from visiting Roseburg and it was a wonderful, enchanting time. I did not meet one person that was rude or anything. It was so nice to be in a place where people were nice and polite and went out of there way to talk to you and were honestly kind. Customer service was wonderful every where I went. It was a beautiful time. I do have a question.....every time I inquired on Myrtle Creek everyone told me to stay away from there, it was full of druggies and a "depressed" area. I didnt get a chance to go and visit there, and was kinda scared away from there. LOL. But I was looking at houses there and cut that short due to several people stating it was not a good place to live. Can anyone explain? I would appreciate it. And thank you in advance.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 15,699,320 times
The easiest way to get a state job in Roseburg would be to ask the governor to appointt you to a position. Seriously. Even in the boom times, Roseburg unemployment rarely dropped below 6%, and the big news lately is that it finally dropped below 12%. That's not because anyone found a job, it's because people are leaving to survive.

You may think you can sell out in California and live on your equity until you get established. Don't do it. You could find yourself unemployed for years. Don't even think about buying a house here until you have a job. House hunting at this point is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon