Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:39 PM

48 posts, read 87,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You are overanalyzing it. A growing number of people in Southern Oregon are from Washington, and most are from California. Nobody really cares. You just ran into unfriendly people. Unemployment is upwards of 18% and everyone who is employed is probably not doing so well either. Of course people aren't going to be too friendly... Especially if they're working the crappy jobs in the service industry, where you'd run into them.

And yes, people do drive crazy in the Seattle are too. I've seen it. Even in Portland. That's not limited to Southern Oregon, though as PNW-type-gal said, the vast majority of the traffic there is not Southern Oregonians, but people passing through.

If anything, you may have come across as rich, liberal city folk... "Normal" dress in Seattle is different than "normal" dress in Southern Oregon. They wouldn't be snobby--they'd be anti-snob snobby, thinking you were probably some snobby urbanites yourselves. Hard to say. People are usually pretty friendly down there though, regardless of who you are or where you're from.
I wasn't denying that there are crazy drivers in Seattle. However, most people stay close to the posted speed. Down there, we had to go 80 miles an hour to keep up with traffic, when 65 is the posted speed.

We know that the majority of people on the freeway are not locals. That's only common sense......We are young, yes, but that doesn't mean we don't understand traffic laws or the fact that people driving on a freeway are not always residing in the area we drive through. Like I said before in a previous reply, the traffic was NOT necessarily my question/worry/complaint.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
We were in Medford this past weekend also, up from Central Ca. Everyone we talked to was nothing but nice and we did not receive dirty looks or anything. The freeway was normal. We didn't get the bird until we got back into Ca. lol We can't wait to go back!
Wow, cool! I'm not sure what kind of person you are or who you were with, but maybe the kind of people that my husband and I are just rubbed some locals the wrong way. I thought people were nicer up in Albany and Corvallis.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:24 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain View Post
Yes, we must have just been annoying people. We were REALLY excited to be there, we were trvelling down to see our favorite band in concert...and everytime we bought something I'd remind myself (out loud :/) that there was no tax in Oregon. Plus it was super hot, so everyone was probably crabby and overheated.
Well, now you're annoyed with me for pointing out the obvious, even though I did it about as considerately as one could. So I guess trying to offer some insight wasn't such a great idea at all. Would it help if I reassured you that you sound like you are both very awesome people?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain View Post
Well, we have a Washington state license plate, driver's licenses that we showed, our debit cards were from a Washington state bank, WE TRIED TO PUMP OUR OWN GAS and we were whining about the heat being over 50 degrees hahaha.

We really are nice people. Maybe we were just annoying because we were too chatty or something?

The folks around Grants Pass have been pretty friendly over the last four lustrums.

Welcome to Wolf Creek.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
We spent last weekend in Southern Oregon (Medford) and didn't encounter many friendly people. Especially on the road, for example. We had to go 15+mph over the speed limit just to keep up with traffic, and we were still getting passed by everyone, and they'd turn back and glare and flip the bird.
Man, I wish the Portland area was like this. (Except for the whole bird flipping thing, of course.) I usually find myself being forced to go five or more miles per hours below the speed limit on any road, even the interstate in the left lane.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Well, now you're annoyed with me for pointing out the obvious, even though I did it about as considerately as one could. So I guess trying to offer some insight wasn't such a great idea at all. Would it help if I reassured you that you sound like you are both very awesome people?
Nope, I'm not annoyed! I just feel slightly frustrated that it's being assumed that my husband and I don't understand the rules of the road, or that we think that people on the freeway actually live there. I'm not sure if you're the one who said that or not, I didn't re-read the posts before I replied to you. But thank you for saying that we sound like awesome people! lol

Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Man, I wish the Portland area was like this. (Except for the whole bird flipping thing, of course.) I usually find myself being forced to go five or more miles per hours below the speed limit on any road, even the interstate in the left lane.
Yes, that's how it is for us in our hometown! We don't totally hate speeding, but when you don't drive on the freeway everyday and are basically forced to go 80 (unless you want to go 50 behind a semi in the right lane), and are still being passed by people goig 90-95, then that becomes a problem for me.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
The folks around Grants Pass have been pretty friendly over the last four lustrums.

Welcome to Wolf Creek.
Lol We almost stoppd in GP on our way back home!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
To be totally honest, I'm already annoyed. Sorry.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Depends on who you talk to. Many of my native Oregonian friends knock Washingtonians' driving and in general refer to them as hicks or rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon