Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to where people are researching for information about cities in Oregon?

I'm seeing people asking about towns like Adel (which doesn't even have a gas station anymore,) Mitchell in the middle of Oregon which is almost literally a ghost town and only still exists on tourist money, or are expecting to find rentals in small towns like Christmas Valley, Fort Rock, Elkton and Scottsburg which have populations under 200 and most of those live outside of the City Limits.

Or people who've bought land around Klamath Falls, Beatty, or Bonanza and expect to build a house there not realizing that that entire area has huge issues with water rights and accessibility, nor any power, internet, telephones, or anything better then dirt roads.

I'm simply asking as I'd really like to know so that I can help steer people to better choices, and try to quit repeating to myself "Seriously? Are you crazy?" When someone asks about the above locations (and many others.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
I don't know where they come from either, but I think that CD is where they are researching information. I guess many see on a map a town like Christmas Valley and think a small town might be nice, not realizing just how small a town it is.

Shoot, even finding housing can be tough. Years ago I got a teaching job in a very small eastern Oregon town and it was very, very hard finding a place to live. Finally, I got a trailer originally intended for a ranch hand out on some remote place (which was great--the place, not the trailer) and after a year was able to find a real house. Viable housing can be tough.

I think many people just really have no clue how remote much of Oregon really is.

As far as people buying property, the old saw "buyer beware" really does apply. I'm not implying that there are any dishonest practices going on, but I know places do take advantage of people's ignorance. There was a real estate company when I was a boy in NE Washington that ran ads in eastern papers about buying north Idaho and NE Washington "wilderness". Great prices. What many people didn't bother to find out was that much of it was just about vertical. No roads, water or power to the place.

I think many people see a small town on the map, look to see what the country is like around it and think "That looks nice" and so they ask about it not knowing what it really is like.

I think CD is part of their "researching for information" process...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I'm curious as to where people are researching for information about cities in Oregon?
Not to state the obvious, but they are coming to city-data for information. It shouldn't be a surprise. That's the reason for this forum's existence - volunteers providing information about cities and towns.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Not to state the obvious, but they are coming to city-data for information. It shouldn't be a surprise. That's the reason for this forum's existence - volunteers providing information about cities and towns.
It's true. But it's funny how people come here with preconceived notions of what to expect in rural Oregon.

"I'm a single dog lover wanting to move to Frenchglen. How are the dog parks in Frenchglen? I like ethnic food, how are the restaurants? Is there a large population of attractive single women? How is the job market for web developers? Oh--and I'm looking to buy a condo for under $100k."

I'm joking of course, but we've all seen variations of this. And it seems that the most misguided posts are from people from the East who don't understand how wide open the West is. Oregon ain't New Jersey folks! (In fact, it ain't even Tennessee.)

CD is probably the best place for people to come to have their hopes dashed in a single post!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
LOL, on those particular posts I always check to see where they are posting from and if that is their first or second posting and then question their legitness. (LOL, is that a word?)

Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
You always want to go see a piece of property before you buy it. Walk the Land.

'Up Close & Personal'

A man i met told me he bought 80 acres for $40k, south of Klamath Falls. Then he found out he couldn't build a home on his land. He could only camp on it.Very Sadly, he didn't do enough proper REsearch, before he bought the land.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
You mean those E-bay Klamath Falls area real estate auctions aren't totally honest and truthful?

I'm amazed!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
It's true. But it's funny how people come here with preconceived notions of what to expect in rural Oregon.

"I'm a single dog lover wanting to move to Frenchglen. How are the dog parks in Frenchglen? I like ethnic food, how are the restaurants? Is there a large population of attractive single women? How is the job market for web developers? Oh--and I'm looking to buy a condo for under $100k."
The ethnic restaurants in Frenchglen are amazing as are their symphony, ballet and museums. Frenchglen is known far and wide as the social and cultural center of all that is Oregon.

The male/female ratio is 1 to 10. All are 10s. There is a marked need for web developers and a glut of condos. The women are especially attracted to web developers who own their condo.

That's pretty much how I want to answer those types of queries...

...I don't though.

One question I remember in particular is how dog-friendly is Oregon...how do you answer that? The entire state?

That's a trait common to CD, so many want to deal in absolutes concerning places. It's "always" this, or "everyone" is that way...

By the way, I'm looking for a 6 figure job in an area that's not too cold, not too hot, sunny except when I want it cloudy, in the mountains yet flat and not too much snow except when I want to go skiing by the ocean but no rain but not desert, rural with no neighbors yet convenient to mass transit, the theater, first-class health care, museums, symphony, ballet, health food stores, good ethnic mix, safe yet not vanilla, eco-friendly without the crunchy types, conservative and liberal with health-conscious freedom-loving religious yet non-judgemental accepting of agnostic Wiccan/Druid/Baptists and willing to join in, friendly yet keep their nose out of my business people who are accepting of people just like me but doesn't have any kind of people I don't like and is perfect in each and every way.

Anyone know of that place?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
By the way, I'm looking for a 6 figure job in an area that's not too cold, not too hot, sunny except when I want it cloudy, in the mountains yet flat and not too much snow except when I want to go skiing by the ocean but no rain but not desert, rural with no neighbors yet convenient to mass transit, the theater, first-class health care, museums, symphony, ballet, health food stores, good ethnic mix, safe yet not vanilla, eco-friendly without the crunchy types, conservative and liberal with health-conscious freedom-loving religious yet non-judgemental accepting of agnostic Wiccan/Druid/Baptists and willing to join in, friendly yet keep their nose out of my business people who are accepting of people just like me but doesn't have any kind of people I don't like and is perfect in each and every way.

That's so funny because it's true!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
The ethnic restaurants in Frenchglen are amazing as are their symphony, ballet and museums. Frenchglen is known far and wide as the social and cultural center of all that is Oregon.

The male/female ratio is 1 to 10. All are 10s. There is a marked need for web developers and a glut of condos. The women are especially attracted to web developers who own their condo.

That's pretty much how I want to answer those types of queries...

...I don't though.

One question I remember in particular is how dog-friendly is Oregon...how do you answer that? The entire state?

That's a trait common to CD, so many want to deal in absolutes concerning places. It's "always" this, or "everyone" is that way...

Anyone know of that place?
Why Portland..............and all of Oregon!
It's everything to everybody!

I'm really suprised you actually have to ask that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon