Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,268 times

Advertisements

"Communist Oregon?" Hmmmm

I looked at the page and it appears more to be an ad for weird Tee Shirts and coffee mugs than a political rant.

If it was a rant it was a singularly unreferenced one.

I believe the page is nothing more than a hook by Cafe Press to get people to buy their stuff. Here are some other pages (just making a point, here - not advertising or endorsing):

Obama T-shirts, Barack Obama Gifts, Merchandise & Clothing
Autism Awareness Gifts, T-shirts, Stickers and more - CafePress

I wouldn't take anything these guys say seriously.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
"Communist Oregon?" Hmmmm

I looked at the page and it appears more to be an ad for weird Tee Shirts and coffee mugs than a political rant.

If it was a rant it was a singularly unreferenced one.

I believe the page is nothing more than a hook by Cafe Press to get people to buy their stuff. Here are some other pages (just making a point, here - not advertising or endorsing):

Obama T-shirts, Barack Obama Gifts, Merchandise & Clothing
Autism Awareness Gifts, T-shirts, Stickers and more - CafePress

I wouldn't take anything these guys say seriously.
Yeah I was wondering they really have all those mugs and T-shirts available for sale right now... People who are angry enough to want to believe that Oregon's increase in the corporate tax rate amounts to communism probably wouldn't wear a t-shirt with a hammer and sickle on it. I can't imagine there is that big of a market for Communist Oregon coffee mugs...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM

37 posts, read 109,777 times
I have to agree that intelligence is definitely not a guaranteed determiner of wealth. I got a 30 on the ACT without even studying for it, and I can't even get a crappy job at a fast food place.

I'd estimate that success is based on 95% who you know, 4% hard work, and 1% intelligence...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM

15,567 posts, read 40,394,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCobalt View Post
I have to agree that intelligence is definitely not a guaranteed determiner of wealth. I got a 30 on the ACT without even studying for it, and I can't even get a crappy job at a fast food place.

I'd estimate that success is based on 95% who you know, 4% hard work, and 1% intelligence...
I know lots of people that do well on tests that aren't successful. Often they lack common sense and aren't risk takers.

Successful people have a very specific attitude and are willing to do what others are not. So if you are unemployed right now, a a future successful person would take this as an opportunity to launch their own business. The question is why aren't you? Take the risk and launch a business. If you aren't willing to do that, that's fine, but make no mistake...that is what someone that has a "successful" attitude would do. Go for broke.

Success is an attitude.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,449,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Success is an attitude.
But posting retarded articles as if they should be taken seriously is a state of mind.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,812,339 times
Google "intergenerational income correlation" (also "intergenerational mobility in the labor market") - in the past 30 years or so, the strongest predictor of wealth and success is: wealthy parents. The gap between wealthy and poor is growing, particularly as middle incomes vanish, but that income correlation is growing even faster as income "trickles up."

Trickle down never worked, but trickle up works quite well and wealth begets wealth and wealth protects wealth.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Google "intergenerational income correlation" (also "intergenerational mobility in the labor market") - in the past 30 years or so, the strongest predictor of wealth and success is: wealthy parents. The gap between wealthy and poor is growing, particularly as middle incomes vanish, but that income correlation is growing even faster as income "trickles up."

Trickle down never worked, but trickle up works quite well and wealth begets wealth and wealth protects wealth.
Yes, if my kids wanted to launch their own business, they would have me as a potential funding source vs. the way I had to do it. Success is still an attitude though.

Interestingly...a study was just released earlier this year from U of Wisoncon-Madison that indicated that wealthier people are statistically more likely to have children with autism. Often successful people are out of the box thinkers.

It makes perfect sense to me that the biggest predictor of wealth and success is wealthy parents. They can afford excellent private schools. They tend to value education, and they know the attitude it takes to be successful. I was chatting with a friend who is a reading teacher here in Salem and she said that there was a study out there that showed that kids with the highest IQ's read on average 58 minutes a day. Those with the lowest read one minute a day.

There are a lot of dynamics that do into this, and to say that wealth alone indicates anything, I mean look at Michael Douglas' son in jail on drugs. I mean success is an attitude that parents pass down and teach their children. Those children have the benefit of learning from someone first hand that is successful. Most wealthy people got there because they built a business. Their children get the benefit of learning those lessons and absolutely have a jump start on being successful. There are plenty of rich kids that are by no means successful: wealth just makes it easier.

The reason we are working towards two classes in the US is because we have outsourced all of our manufacturing jobs overseas. Those are the middle class jobs and we no longer have a viable manufacturing base. My hubby is in the manufacturing sector and we have watched company after company move overseas from the US over the past twenty years that he has been in that industry. It is mind boggling. That leaves us with the innovators and business owners who will be wealthy, and then the low paying jobs in the service industries. This is a horrible dynamic for our economy, but we did this to ourselves and don't seem interested in reversing the trend as a nation.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
But posting retarded articles as if they should be taken seriously is a state of mind.
That article is better with a good Oregon micro-brew in hand.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,449,662 times
Quote:
That article is better with a good Oregon micro-brew in hand.
If not written with seven or eight in the system.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,187 times
Quote:
It makes perfect sense to me that the biggest predictor of wealth and success is wealthy parents. They can afford excellent private schools. They tend to value education, and they know the attitude it takes to be successful.
I think this is only part of the equation. It's true, but the other part IMO has a lot to do with people striving to accomplish what they believe is impossible.

For example, if everyone in my neighbors family could fly, but nobody is my own family can fly, why would I ever believe that I myself could fly.

If people in my neighbors family have been successful, but nobody in my family has been successful, why would I think that I myself could be successful.

People always say you can accomplish anything if you just try hard and believe that you can really DO it! What about people who grow up without any evidence that they really CAN do it?

When you add to that the knowledge that there is no safety net if you fail, nobody will be able to take you in if you can't pay your rent or keep your lights on. Nobody is able to loan you fifty bucks if you run out of food. If you take a risk and fail at it, you could actually become homeless. For someone who's never seen what success looks like first hand, this is a great motivator to not take a risk - toe the line and don't complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon