Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 PM

19 posts, read 116,085 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know how to become certified to work in loss prevention in the state of Oregon? If so, how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM

64 posts, read 183,837 times
You mean like, store security? You need certification for that?

Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Some companies will "train" you. However, beware, this line of work can be hazardous to your health.
I have over 20 years experience in the field, and also internal invertigations. I also have a degree in criminal justice and worked in that field also.
You might try Wal-mart for a start, they have very strict rules about ingagement of suspects etc., and probably would train you.
Most training is done with another person as a on the job type.
Washington state required that you have a license and training.

Check with the Oregon Department of Employment or whatever they call it?

Good luck.
Are you able to enter the military and get some law enfocement training, exp., and they go into law enforcement?

HW

Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzz View Post
You mean like, store security? You need certification for that?
I'm pretty sure it is. What government doesn't want to get in the action, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold
Some companies will "train" you. However, beware, this line of work can be hazardous to your health.
I have over 20 years experience in the field, and also internal invertigations. I also have a degree in criminal justice and worked in that field also.
You might try Wal-mart for a start, they have very strict rules about ingagement of suspects etc., and probably would train you.
Most training is done with another person as a on the job type.
Washington state required that you have a license and training.

Check with the Oregon Department of Employment or whatever they call it?

Good luck.
Are you able to enter the military and get some law enfocement training, exp., and they go into law enforcement?
Thanks for the advice, especially the Wally World lead. It makes sense after all. I checked with the DPSST, or whatever it's called (the agency that regulates security "officers"), but their website seemed like a train wreck. I sent an email. Maybe I'll get a response in half a year.

I think I can enter the military, but I shouldn't because if I did it would be for the wrong reasons.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM

218 posts, read 720,732 times
I have a friend who works loss prevention at a big box store. He has his DPSST and started out working security at a bar for several years.

*off topic a little bit: I find it odd at Ross Dress Fore Less that the Loss Prevention employees walk around in smock that say lost prevention. lol. Most stores, they are supposed to blend in with the shoppers.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
I have a friend who works loss prevention at a big box store. He has his DPSST and started out working security at a bar for several years.

*off topic a little bit: I find it odd at Ross Dress Fore Less that the Loss Prevention employees walk around in smock that say lost prevention. lol. Most stores, they are supposed to blend in with the shoppers.
Off topic, what internet forum's postings aren't?! It's funny how often security guards break the law. Take this one, for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBZM...layer_embedded

The industry is asking for it by providing such low wages.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 PM

218 posts, read 720,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomache View Post
Off topic, what internet forum's postings aren't?! It's funny how often security guards break the law. Take this one, for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBZM...layer_embedded

The industry is asking for it by providing such low wages.
Lol! I saw that video awhile back, the thing is. The Alaska State Fair is a non-profit and the fair is on private property. They had all the right, to ask the guy to leave. The part I disagreed with is how the media kept referring to him as a be armed. Nobody knew he had a gun till after the mess was over with and was never a issue as he never pulled it out or brandished it.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:09 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Just to mention: in my years doing security etc., I have been attacked with a knife, threatened with a gun(that guy had a big rap sheet and is doing longtime), bitten,(women are bad, esp. if drunk or dopped), hit etc.
When I went to work in some areas and some stores, I dressed for the job (good running shoes(everyday was a chase), good pants that I could run in and were not light weight, so special shirt ex. to cover my carry when I had to(sometimes a light coat), head gear hah-yes..baseball cap as you can look over the brim, or even sometimes a sock hat-cold weather.

Now most carry a cell phone and pretend to talk on it or maybe do talk a lot to their partner, but we had ear pieces with a built in mic..worked good.

Used to use the catwalks in some stores and had a partner on the floor..worked good too as it was a req. the keep the perp in sight at ALL TIMES.

I could write a book....

Yes, got injured a few times, not bad..
Excellent self-defense skills, Tongsodo, Akido helps a lot. Noticed I said GOOD "DEFENSE" skills, not offense...many many takedowns...surprising how the public is on the bad guys side!!

Good luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon