Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times

Advertisements

While "anywhere" will be better, you should do some additional scouting while you're here so you can get an idea of how Lebanon compares to other nearby cities. Keep an open mind. You might still fall in love with Lebanon, but at least you would have looked at some other communities and not based your opinion solely on internet research.

Look at a map and you'll see Hwys 99W and 99E running through the Willamette Valley. Take a look at the cities and towns along these routes, pick 4 or 5 and do a little research on them (I suggest Cottage Grove, Corvallis, Monmouth, Silverton, and McMinnville). Then when you take your weekend to visit Lebanon, work in a tour of at least a couple of these other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM

49 posts, read 138,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
While "anywhere" will be better, you should do some additional scouting while you're here so you can get an idea of how Lebanon compares to other nearby cities. Keep an open mind. You might still fall in love with Lebanon, but at least you would have looked at some other communities and not based your opinion solely on internet research.

Look at a map and you'll see Hwys 99W and 99E running through the Willamette Valley. Take a look at the cities and towns along these routes, pick 4 or 5 and do a little research on them (I suggest Cottage Grove, Corvallis, Monmouth, Silverton, and McMinnville). Then when you take your weekend to visit Lebanon, work in a tour of at least a couple of these other cities.
Yes, we are trying to get a managable list of about 8 places to visit on our weekend. It is down to Lebanon, Sweet Home (she wants to see it), Corvallis, Albany, Monmouth, Dallas, McMinnville, Newberg, St. Helen's, and Cottage Grove), I think. It may be more, but this is off the top of my head.

Thanks for replying to me!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Remember to keep an open mind. You will find your community in any of the towns you've chosen to visit. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast bound View Post
We are looking at housing in Sweet Home or Lebanon as it seems you can get more house and land for your money.
Housing follows supply-and-demand economics. You can get more house and land for your money in less desirable areas. You should ask yourself why.

Commuting usually turns out to be false economy. When you add the price of the commute with gasoline at $5 a gallon (it will be there before the year's over) into the housing cost, you usually end up paying more, not less, for living in "less expensive" areas.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Lebanon or Sweet Home for all the money in the world. I used to teach in Albany and know that area fairly well. I have some experience with East Linn Christian, if that's the one you're thinking of, and it doesn't come close to the quality of education you can get in the public 509j system in Corvallis. In fact, a lot of kids who had behavior problems in Albany public schools ended up there; it's a bit of a "reform school" for kids who don't do well without close supervision.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Housing follows supply-and-demand economics. You can get more house and land for your money in less desirable areas. You should ask yourself why.

Commuting usually turns out to be false economy. When you add the price of the commute with gasoline at $5 a gallon (it will be there before the year's over) into the housing cost, you usually end up paying more, not less, for living in "less expensive" areas.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Lebanon or Sweet Home for all the money in the world. I used to teach in Albany and know that area fairly well. I have some experience with East Linn Christian, if that's the one you're thinking of, and it doesn't come close to the quality of education you can get in the public 509j system in Corvallis. In fact, a lot of kids who had behavior problems in Albany public schools ended up there; it's a bit of a "reform school" for kids who don't do well without close supervision.
Great post. Thank you SO much!!!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
If you want a small town that is close to Eugene, Cottage Grove, Creswell, and Junction city are all much closer and much nicer than Sweet Home or Lebanon, and probably just as cheap.

honestly though, the idea that someone would commute from Sweet Home to Eugene baffles me. that sort of thing is very rare in Oregon. this isn't DC where people think it's acceptable to spend hours a day commuting. There really is no reason to do that here.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
If you want a small town that is close to Eugene, Cottage Grove, Creswell, and Junction city are all much closer and much nicer than Sweet Home or Lebanon, and probably just as cheap.

honestly though, the idea that someone would commute from Sweet Home to Eugene baffles me. that sort of thing is very rare in Oregon. this isn't DC where people think it's acceptable to spend hours a day commuting. There really is no reason to do that here.
I am getting a lot of dislike for the communities of Lebanon and Sweet Home. Always good input. Thank you!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLoosbrock View Post
I am getting a lot of dislike for the communities of Lebanon and Sweet Home. Always good input. Thank you!
Not so much dislike, but your idea of commuting to Eugene from there is a really big mistake. There is no guarantee that gasoline will even be available. If world conditions cut off even 10% of US gasoline imports (we currently import 60% of our needs) supplies will get unreliable and very expensive. You need to be within bicycle reach of a transit system. I drive to work, but there is a bus stop just 3 miles from my house. If things get tight, pedal power will get me there. Switching to electric cars will work until we run short of electricity.

Expecting things will always be just like they have been is the reason 26% of all home sales in the USA were foreclosures last year. It's a good idea to balance current conditions with the worst case scenario.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Not so much dislike, but your idea of commuting to Eugene from there is a really big mistake. There is no guarantee that gasoline will even be available. If world conditions cut off even 10% of US gasoline imports (we currently import 60% of our needs) supplies will get unreliable and very expensive. You need to be within bicycle reach of a transit system. I drive to work, but there is a bus stop just 3 miles from my house. If things get tight, pedal power will get me there. Switching to electric cars will work until we run short of electricity.

Expecting things will always be just like they have been is the reason 26% of all home sales in the USA were foreclosures last year. It's a good idea to balance current conditions with the worst case scenario.
I am not gonna commute anywhere. I'm hoping to get a job in the same town I live. I just piggy backed onto this thread. Schools are my #1 concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon