Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times

Advertisements

My daughter bought a car from a girl that she worked with about 4-5 months ago. When my daughters boyfriend and his father went to purchase the car the girl said she could not find the title but had a feeling it was in storage n would give it to my daughter in a day or two when she found it. They did not get a bill of sale or anything from her! Everytime my daughter would ask her for the title she would say some excuse as to why she hadn't gotten to it yet. Now she is saying it is in her EX boyfriends name and she doesn't know his address or number because he has moved. She will not sign a bill of sale saying she sold it to my daughter. What can my daughter do now to get it registered in her name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 04:13 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,572 times
How much money did she pay for the car?

The most concerning part of this story is that the girl won't sign a bill of sale. It's possible to find the registered owner of the car, and it's possible to get a replacement for a lost title, but it's also possible that this girl sold your daughter a car that doesn't belong to her. Your daughter can take her to small claims court to either demand the title or bill of sale or to demand a refund on the car.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Sorry to say, but I don't even think you have any legal right to the car since you have absolutely no documentation saying that it was even sold to you.
In the eyes of the law, the car still belongs to your daughters ex-coworkers ex-boyfriend.

You're even putting yourself at risk legally if someone reports the car as stolen and you're caught with it in your possession.

Sounds like you guys got scammed. Big Time. I hope you didn't lose much money.

Call the cops and talk to a lawyer.
The girl selling the car (something which did not belong to her) committed criminal fraud.
If you think you're going to end up in court, start documenting everything NOW.
Including filing a police report. The time for playing nice is over.

You might try looking around in the below link to Oregon's DMV, you might find some info:
State of Oregon: Oregon DMV

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-22-2010 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Did your daughter pay for the car with a check and write in the memo section? That should document a payment. Hope she didn't pay cash. Try the small claims court. (I watch Judge Judy. lol.)

Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
A bill of sale has no value in DMV transactions in Oregon unless it is from a state where BOS is accepted as normal. Only Contracts and DMV Titles are acceptable even in disputes.

If it were me I would return the car and get your money back. Otherwise take her to small claims (Under $5,000) to get your money back, but you will have to give up the car either way. If you are driving it, you could be in much more trouble than the seller.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
In Oregon a Bill of Sale is a valid document for transfering ownership of a vehicle, however this does not replace a title. You must get the BOS from the registered owner of the vehicle, if this person was not the registered owner and sold this car it is the same as grand theft auto on her part as well as be in possession of stolen property on your part.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You must get the BOS from the registered owner of the vehicle, if this person was not the registered owner and sold this car it is the same as grand theft auto on her part as well as be in possession of stolen property on your part.
Exactly.

What is happening to you is not a trivial thing. People go to jail for this kind of stuff!

PLEASE do what's right.
Don't treat it lightly and say oh well and just blow it off.
Start by calling the police, explaining what happened, and filing a report.
At the very least, you will be covering your arse.

Please let us know what happened!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
Thanks everybody for all the feedback. We took some advice and first tried to get her to take the car back and give the money back. After several attempts and leaving messages cuz she is ignoring my daughters calls; she finally talked to my daughter but now she is saying her ex is out of town for two weeks and he said he would take care of it when he gets back. My daughter then told her she needed to have him fax a bill of sale asap or she was gonna file a police report and start the paperwork for small claims and that she has had it with all her excuses but once agian no response! So my daughter called the police and told them what happened and he asked for the other girls info. Well this girl must have alot of experience with this kind of stuff!! She told the police that my daughter still owed her two hundred and that she has been harrassing and threatening her. That her ex would be back in two weeks and he is willing to overlook the two hundred and give her the title then but only if she stops harrassing her!!! OMG How frustrating! So the police basically told my daughter that if this girl wanted to she could report the car stolen!! So now we have to wait and hope that this guy really is gonna be back in two weeks and he gives her the title! Boy this is one good lesson for my daughter! I bet she NEVER buys a car again without getting a BOS or the title right then. I told her I don't care who you are buying it from!! So Thanks once again for all of your guys/girls advise and wish us luck in the next couple of weeks!

Old 09-24-2010, 10:32 PM

197 posts, read 458,986 times
We sure hope you have luck getting it handled. Keep us informed as to how it goes.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 AM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Dang...this situation really sucks but I can't say I'm surprised that the other girl tried to turn the tables on your daughter when confronted by the police. Probably just the worst kind of bottom-feeding low life around trying to make a quick buck and cover her butt now that she's been found out.

Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon