Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 25,133 times

Advertisements

I am looking for property in the Hood River area on both OR and WA sides of the river. Can anyone tell me how far away from the river you have to be to avoid the extreme winds, and if they are a seasonal or all year long thing? It seems like Cascade Locks is where the wet stops and the dry begins, correct?

Also, property seems to cost less on the WA side - any reason?

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 48,934 times
Hi
The key to not getting Blown away is >>>hang on for Dear Life! I drive " the Gorge " Daily and for the past twenty years i can say the wind and wet are the two constants in the area. the closer you get to troutdale and fairview the less rain HOWEVER the wind will drive you crazy on the south end of the Gorge!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM

12 posts, read 48,934 times
Oh also Property on the west side in wa. is in an unpopulated area with a somewhat Hilly terrain ALSO you will have to do some commuting to the Oregon side so Check OUT the TOLL BRIDGES!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 PM

177 posts, read 969,633 times
Well...... There is a reason all the windsurfers flock to Hood River! You may have to go south to Parkdale/Odell to get away from the winds. Yes, the wind blows year round in the gorge, so you have to learn to live with it. I lived in The Dalles for many years and have relatives in Hood River, trust me the wind is a constant. Having a picnic? Better bring something to weight down the table cloth and the paper plates, napkins, etc. Like canman said, the bridges at Hood River and Cascade Locks are both toll bridges, so bring change with you if you commute from the washington side. The closest bridge that is not a toll bridge is in The Dalles (20 miles east of Hood River).
Good Luck in your property search.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 25,133 times
Default Blown away in Hood River

Thanks for the input everyone. I knew I should take the realtor's "it's only windy March thru July w/ a grain of salt!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
You should have already been blown away by the prices in HR... It has changed significantly. Several of my builder friends now find themselves without affordable properties, soon to become WalMart greeters . Yesterday we looked at a 50x100 lot at $150k, nothing special. Remember your additional costs for developing bare land. (utilities, permits, frontage improvements, potential impact fees, then landscaping...)

Difference in price OR vs. WA is probably due to
1) more jobs in OR
2) OR is the 'trendy' location, and WA used to be 'hicks-ville' (not the case anymore).
3) Property Taxes are likely lower in OR (but this varies depending on lots of issues / new vs. old, growth of local market, what bozo's are paying for props (both are based on Fair Market Value). The difference is that OR has a tax increase limit (3%?) that has not yet been blocked by the high court (as it has in WA). OR also does not tax based on 100% of FMV, there is a lower 'offset' value, sometimes as much as 50% (in the case of new built)
4) but... OR has an ~8% income tax (WA has no income tax, but an ~ 8% sales tax
5) OR has the 'Downhill' (big bucks) ski industry, while WA is x-crty and snowshoeing.
6) a lot of restricted land on each side (CGNSA or USFS)
7) more buildable sights on OR side.
8) OR has I-84 which allows folks to commute to PDX in 50 min.

the bridge toll is $1/ each way at Cascade Locks and $.75 at HR. But you can buy books of tickets that reduce each fare by ~ 10%

Remember if you live in WA, but work in OR or get income from an OR source you pay OR income tax.
If you live in OR and work in WA you WILL ALSO pay OR income tax on any income gained in OR.

basically WA = more laid back, but fewer jobs
OR = trendy ('The place to be'), adequate coffee shops and brewery's

It is really quite difficult to tell the difference between folks of the different sides, and there is little strife between them. Which has not been the case in the past. After all those of us on the border spend almost = time on each side. (I've been over 3x in 24 hrs) it is only ~ 2 minutes between the two states (shorter by air !).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon