Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Orphan View Post
My husband and I are retired and are also considering a move to Oregon from the midwest. Here are some of the things we are interested in:

1) Outdoor activities (Does it rain too much on the west coast to do much except in the summer? Is it ever warm enough to swim outside?)
2) Walkable
3) Garden for growing vegetables
4) Good air and water. (Where we are now the water is good but the air is TERRIBLE. It got about a 12 on the a scale from 1 to 100 where 100 is best.)

We were thinking about a college town like Corvallis or Eugene.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1) Outdoor activities. Camping, hiking, swimming, boating and water skiing are very popular in the summer. Fresh water (lake, river) gets warm enough for swimming about the middle of July through the month of August. The ocean never does get that warm, so surfers just put on wet suits and go.

2) The Pacific Crest Trail along the Cascades from California to Washington is only recommended for experts. Anywhere else, you should be fine. There is an amazing set of hiking trails along the coast.

3) The Willamette Valley is one of the great garden spots of the world. The selection of fruits, nuts, berries and vegetables is unmatched anywhere.

4) All cities stink. Oregon's cities are small and compact, so as soon as you get outside of town the air is fairly decent. Even in town, most residential areas are tolerable most days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Hi
Well being a retiree here one word of advice
before you make the move come out and check out the dr situation and if they will use your medi-care supplimate ect..there is dr shortage in some area's and this can be a problem for a retiree..
I agree with silverfalls you have to reach out and get involved to make friends..I did this and now have a nice group with comon interests as so my husband..Its hard to do.
once you get settled you'll love it..
we are nor cal transplants so happy to be up here.
good luck

mamh you should have told the OP that you are a master gardener at the Oregon Gardens.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
As for me, I'm contemplating my timely move to the grave, the one place where nothing else is going to matter anymore.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
thanks silver falls for the compliment..I spend at least one morning a week out there in the garden, getting cold wet and having a grand time also other activites too. Its a great place to volunteer at and met some neat people both local and our guests and our green heron george who is somewhat of a Hort mascot..
this is a great place as are others for new people to make friends..this my 4 year out there.
enough said..

Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
thanks silver falls for the compliment..I spend at least one morning a week out there in the garden, getting cold wet and having a grand time also other activites too. Its a great place to volunteer at and met some neat people both local and our guests and our green heron george who is somewhat of a Hort mascot..
this is a great place as are others for new people to make friends..this my 4 year out there.
enough said..

You are living proof that life and gardening goes on in the rain and the gardens always look gorgeous.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 13,473 times
All I know well enough to comment of this place is Dallas, Oregon, the county seat of Polk County.

It is rural, enviromentally spectacular, shamefully under educated, highly sectarian and racist, and angry. What very little Black Americans there are in Dallas High School, they are called "Mondays", considered the worst day or the week. Hispanics are "Wednesdays". Wednesday is "hump" day and the slur towards the Hispanics having larger families.

When we moved here, we passed the first test as we are white. The second was the boldly and frequently asked question, "What religion are you?"

Dallas Evangelicals are grappling with the other twenty-two organised churches for secular power within every government institution including the schools.

Oregon commited the unforgivable curses of concentrating is mentally ill and crimminal population in the captital city of Salem while shunning immigrants from other states, the worse being those filthy Californians. (Californians have to be avoided at all costs as they might bring insight, industry, and genetic diversity as well as a sense of what wonderment might lie beyond the city limits. Sin, satanism, and lust, no doubt.)

As a result, the unemployment is high and the population that works carry the burden of those on the dole with a 9% income tax, and a health care system trembling under the burden of physician and facility shortage.

Be very careful moving to small towns (15,000 or less population) in the Wilamette Valley of Oregon, but, if the Earth is only six thousand years old and you consider yourself a member of the master race, if you love Jesus only to avoid the loving Christ throwing you into a pit of eternal fire, if those repulsive Jews, Catholics, non-Evangelicals, "Mondays" and "Wednesdays" sicken you on sight, than by all means, you have a place in rural Polk County.

Come warm your heart with the heat and light of the burning cross.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saethwyr View Post
All I know well enough to comment of this place is Dallas, Oregon, the county seat of Polk County.

It is rural, enviromentally spectacular, shamefully under educated, highly sectarian and racist, and angry. What very little Black Americans there are in Dallas High School, they are called "Mondays", considered the worst day or the week. Hispanics are "Wednesdays". Wednesday is "hump" day and the slur towards the Hispanics having larger families.

When we moved here, we passed the first test as we are white. The second was the boldly and frequently asked question, "What religion are you?"

Dallas Evangelicals are grappling with the other twenty-two organised churches for secular power within every government institution including the schools.

Oregon commited the unforgivable curses of concentrating is mentally ill and crimminal population in the captital city of Salem while shunning immigrants from other states, the worse being those filthy Californians. (Californians have to be avoided at all costs as they might bring insight, industry, and genetic diversity as well as a sense of what wonderment might lie beyond the city limits. Sin, satanism, and lust, no doubt.)

As a result, the unemployment is high and the population that works carry the burden of those on the dole with a 9% income tax, and a health care system trembling under the burden of physician and facility shortage.

Be very careful moving to small towns (15,000 or less population) in the Wilamette Valley of Oregon, but, if the Earth is only six thousand years old and you consider yourself a member of the master race, if you love Jesus only to avoid the loving Christ throwing you into a pit of eternal fire, if those repulsive Jews, Catholics, non-Evangelicals, "Mondays" and "Wednesdays" sicken you on sight, than by all means, you have a place in rural Polk County.

Bull ...............

Well maybe part of it is true, but Dallas is one of the lowest taxed cities in Oregon and I love it there. That is why I just bought my retirement home in Dallas.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saethwyr View Post

There are racists everywhere. I hardly think condemning the entire population of Dallas is appropriate. I know many kind and generous people that live there. Many small communities have a strong religious bent to them as smaller towns tend to be more conservative and Christian, generally speaking. If you wanted a more art/culture oriented small community, you should have considered Silverton.

The issue with Californian's is really a SoCal issue. They associate SoCal with materialism and immigrant gangs. That is what all the backlash is against Californians.

How long have you lived in Oregon?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
I was concieved in Glenwood in December of 1946 (That is betwen Eugene and Springfield).

Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Plus, most Oregonians couldn't care less about religion. Only about 1/3 of the population is a member of any organized religion. Everyone else has better things to do on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon