Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times

Advertisements

Oregon's income tax, as mentioned above, is 9%. I believe California may be slightly higher, PLUS they have sales tax, where Oregon does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 82,041 times
I would choose Medford over Redding any day. Medford has a lot better weather. Have you been in Redding in July or August?? It is hellishly hot all the way up to Sacramento.

I am not familiar with the work availability in Redding. What is the major industry there?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,443 times
I have a lot of family in Redding, some who have moved there within the last few years, so I have some knowledge about the city.

My nephew stated it best when my brother was looking for work: "Redding is a $10-per-hour town."

This was around 2002 or 2003, so maybe Redding is now an $11-per-hour town.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I have a lot of family in Redding, some who have moved there within the last few years, so I have some knowledge about the city.

My nephew stated it best when my brother was looking for work: "Redding is a $10-per-hour town."

This was around 2002 or 2003, so maybe Redding is now an $11-per-hour town.
Im in sales, furniture sales, and Mattress sales. I am a high performer in my career, but I can not even get a furniture store in Redding to return my phone calls. I can not eat at the In and Out Burger joint (like I need to anyway, as fat as Im getting), if I cannot get a job. I hope Medord is better. Im looking at Arkansas too.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Oregon ranks 36th out of 50 for tax burden.

CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate

Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Anybody know what the ecconomy is like in medford

Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 82,041 times
I looked at Medford quite awhile before finally deciding on Vancouver, Washington. Medford is a nice size city without being too big. I like that. The prize of houses is on the higher side compared to Portland and Vancouver.

I think it is average with wages. I think you can say that even about Portland. I've found in my travels (lived in Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Texas, Arizona, and Ohio), you only get what you ask for. I think some times people take a job just to get one even though they don't like the pay, and then they don't really look for another until they get fed up with the one they have.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesap View Post
I would choose Medford over Redding any day. Medford has a lot better weather. Have you been in Redding in July or August?? It is hellishly hot all the way up to Sacramento.

I am not familiar with the work availability in Redding. What is the major industry there?
The entire central valley - from Bakersfield to Red Bluff is one hot, smoggy pit, and you can literally choke on the polluted, stagnate air.
The only upside to Redding is that you are on the northernmost tip of the valley and it's surrounded by mountains, rivers, and trees, despite the fact that it's opressively hot in the summer. Sacramento, Stockton areas can be cooler due to the delta influence but I personally wouldn't live there despite it being 5 to 10 degrees cooler. Sacramento is very dumpy, congested, and has way too much crime as does Stockton.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treesap View Post
I looked at Medford quite awhile before finally deciding on Vancouver, Washington. Medford is a nice size city without being too big. I like that. The prize of houses is on the higher side compared to Portland and Vancouver.

I think it is average with wages. I think you can say that even about Portland. I've found in my travels (lived in Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Texas, Arizona, and Ohio), you only get what you ask for. I think some times people take a job just to get one even though they don't like the pay, and then they don't really look for another until they get fed up with the one they have.
I left Vancouver. I liked Portland/Vancouver...awesome volcanoes to look at. I use to go south on 205 and gaze at Mt hood, and on the way back north I would Marvel at Mt St. Helens. My only issue with it is that it rained a weee too much. I miss it though. Medford/Redding on the Radar Bcause I can get some sun, and stay in the trees and mountains.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM

852 posts, read 3,812,896 times
I've lived in both and worked in one (Redding), and I would give an edge to Medford for weather and Ashland-related culture. Neither is cheap anymore, and sprawl has become part of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon