Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 8,425 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, so I'm Driving a 17' Uhaul towing an auto transport north on I5. Flexible departure date window December 10th thru 15th, what should I expect/prepare for weather wise? What about the surge brakes on uhaul trailer and snow/ice? Will there even be snow? Do they keep the passes plowed down to pavement? Explain chains required and Any other advise is appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Seeing how this is suppose to be a "La Nina" year, you can expect allot of snow in the mountains, just how it will be the second week of December is anyones guess but I'd be prepared for snow. The worst part of the drive will be from Yreka, Ca north (if there is snow). The Siskiyou summit will be the worse seeing how it is the highest pass on I-5, then the Mt. Sexton summit, again if there is snow you can expect it from Yreka, Ca to Canyonville, Ore.
When they post "Chains required" means you must have chains in your vehicle just in case you need them.
You can check the site at ODOT called "Trip check" they will post road conditions.

Have a safe trip

Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
U-Haul does not provide tire chains (in fact I think the rental agreement states that you can't drive in snow and ice). Pretty much everyone (including myself) ignores that.

If chains are required, you will have to chain the tow vehicle AND the trailer to proceed or you'll have to wait out the weather, which could be a few hours to several days. Find a store (like Les Schwab Tires - a west coast chain, stores from Sacramento to Seattle) which will allow you to buy chains and then return them for a full refund if you don't need them. Les Schwab will show you how to put them on - watch carefully and pay attention, it looks a lot easier in a well-lit store on a sunny afternoon than it does when you are at the top of the pass in dim light, laying in the snow and trying to remember how they go on.

I don't recommend your first snow experience be in a U-Haul while towing, but I understand the concept of "needs must." Things happen fast on ice, even at slow speeds, so go SLOW and do LESS - less steering, less brakes, less accelerator.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
If the I-5 passes are bad, you might be better off going to 101 on the coast.

Drive safely.

www.tripcheck.com has Road Cams.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Hi
Have family in Napa, so have driven both roads..the kicker on 101 is it adds a full day to your travel time..It can be just as wet,slick and in parts snowy as some of 5..Friends from up here hit ice south of crescent city 2 years ago christmas and totaled their car..101 also is subject to mud slides..
the other thing that hasn't been mention is 5 from Medford to Eugene is full of small passes and can be a problem too..
Just be carefull and give yourself plenty of time..
have a safe trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon