U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM

226 posts, read 557,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were in Gold Beach a couple of years ago on vacation and really are considering retiring there. I understand that the economy is really suffering. I know about the shortage of grocery stores and restaurants. I have read the other threads on Gold Beach but still have a couple of questions.

We're from northern Utah. When people ask why in the world we would consider moving to a place that gets so much rain as Oregon, our response is "You don't have to shovel rain". I really don't think that weeks of rainy weather would get me down. I hate heat. I hate snow. All other weather is acceptable. Which means that I'm happy and comfortable in Utah about four weeks out of the year. I don't mind driving to Coos Bay for shopping every couple of weeks. (I mean honestly, where else in the world would a grocery store run be accomplished on a drive as beautiful as that one?) My dream is to sit by a fire with a good book and look out on either the river or the beach. If I never see snow on the ground again, it would be good. It can rain sideways for all I care. We don't eat out much because I love to cook.

So, given all of that... What would the average single family 3 bedroom (for visiting grandchildren) home on the river cost? Are property taxes unusually high? Will two politically liberal non-Mormon ex-pats from Utah be able to make friends with neighbors? Can I grow a vegetable garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 AM

16 posts, read 52,186 times
Default Consider an alternative to Gold Beach; that is Brookings-Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahRoots View Post
My husband and I were in Gold Beach a couple of years ago on vacation and really are considering retiring there. I understand that the economy is really suffering. I know about the shortage of grocery stores and restaurants. I have read the other threads on Gold Beach but still have a couple of questions.

We're from northern Utah. When people ask why in the world we would consider moving to a place that gets so much rain as Oregon, our response is "You don't have to shovel rain". I really don't think that weeks of rainy weather would get me down. I hate heat. I hate snow. All other weather is acceptable. Which means that I'm happy and comfortable in Utah about four weeks out of the year. I don't mind driving to Coos Bay for shopping every couple of weeks. (I mean honestly, where else in the world would a grocery store run be accomplished on a drive as beautiful as that one?) My dream is to sit by a fire with a good book and look out on either the river or the beach. If I never see snow on the ground again, it would be good. It can rain sideways for all I care. We don't eat out much because I love to cook.

So, given all of that... What would the average single family 3 bedroom (for visiting grandchildren) home on the river cost? Are property taxes unusually high? Will two politically liberal non-Mormon ex-pats from Utah be able to make friends with neighbors? Can I grow a vegetable garden?

Have you considered Brookings? It's about 30 miles south of Gold Beach and has more to offer regarding shopping. There is also a river (the Chetco) along with that beautiful ocean. It's warmer (but not hot) in Brookings than anywhere else on the coast becasue of the Chetco (warm air blows down the Chetco from inland) and you can grow more here becasue of it. I grow tomatoes but visit our local farmers market weekly (twice a week from June - Oct) and there is lots of fresh locally grown produce.

I think anyone can make friends, it takes time to be close, but I haven't run in to anyone unfriendly. Check out the local paper here in Brookngs, the Curry Coastal Pilot, check out the Port of Brookings Harbor website, check out the webcam of the port, etc. Brookings is also closer to CA for a different variety of stores and closer to go inland (Medoford/Grants Pass).

As for the rain, it hasn't been weeks and weeks of it here; yes, there has been a lot, Brookings does get more, but it's called the banana belt for a reason. This morning it was sunny, this afternoon there were showers, this evening some harder rain but now it's stopped. My point is it's not gray and cloudy and gloomy here every day like some people would lead you to believe. Farther north, yes, but not here.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM

26,989 posts, read 28,771,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahRoots View Post

You're not allowed to retire out-of-state, little sister. What would I do if I only got to see you maybe once a year?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 AM

226 posts, read 557,239 times
I have not considered Brookings, but I will now. Despite my sister's insistence that I can't leave Utah, I have a feeling that if I found someplace where it didn't snow in winter, she might either follow me, or visit for extended periods (like from November to May). I really don't think I can be 80 and living where I don't see anything green except pine trees for six months out of the year, and where I will be shoveling snow with a cane in one hand.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 PM

10,975 posts, read 20,114,608 times
Some have said that Brookings get's its weather from Sacramento.

Another advantage of Brookings is that it isn't far from Crescent City, CA which might offer additional health care options.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 37,039 times
Default moving to gold beach!

My husband is looking at a job at Curry General Hospital in Gold Beach, OR.
Does anyone know about the hospital? We are especially concerned that he will get enough hours working there to actually afford to LIVE THERE.
Is funding for the hospital solid?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 37,039 times
Default we are from Utah also

My husband and I are now living in Northern Utah and we're excited to get out of this climate.
My husband is looking at a job at Curry General Hospital in Gold Beach, OR.
Does anyone know about the hospital? We are especially concerned that he will get enough hours working there to actually afford to LIVE THERE.
Is funding for the hospital solid?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,809 times
UtahRoots, we can so RELATE, my husband and I live in Colorado at 9,000 ft. and our winter is 6 to 8 months long. We're tired of shoveling snow and really miss the ocean and fresh seafood. The highlight of our year is when the hummingbirds return for a few months. My husband is retired and I hope to do the same soon. Would love to live some where that we can grow a garden again. So, we also have been looking at Brookings and Gold Beach area, however we've never been there. So, any info. you can give me would be great. I was born & raised in No. CA and we love the central coast (Monterey area) but we know that we can't afford to live there, therefore we're looking at the No. CA coast & So. OR coast. I hope you find what your looking for...take care

Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 8,234 times
Default Gold Beach area

I too live in Monterey and plan to retire in Gold Beach. Been there several times and took time off once to mingle with the locals. It's a nice area. Kinda reminds me of area of PG and Carmel. It is RIGHT on the coast. A lot fo retirees there. The main drag runs along the coast. The further north you go the more open space between coastal towns.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM

17,559 posts, read 22,056,676 times
Pretty dang nice weather lately... Google

Take a Jetboat Adventure up the Rogue River... Rogue River Jet Boat Trip Jerry's Rogue Jets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon