Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times

Advertisements

I live about 12 miles NW of Grants Pass. I know there are many knowledgeable folks that could and would give you the answers that you're looking for. Where did you post your question? I didn't see it.
I think that the fog that we experience sometimes ( like this past week or so), will probably hold the smoke from the wood stoves pretty close to the ground. I don't mind the smell, although it probably isn't good for me.
I'm going to see if I can find your post.
Hope you find your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
We've never had any problem with the air quality in GP when we go to town fer vittles.

We've lived happily here fer five lustrum on the south side of a beautiful forested mountain, at about 2000'. Clean air & water here from artesian springs.

Even in the winter months we will get a few hours of sunshine on many days, like the last week or so.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowink View Post
I am questioning why the air quality in Grants Pass is 8.0 overall and the carbon monoxide is 2.5 which
is terrible. What causes this senario? Can it be improved upon? I have checked over the past three months and it hasn't changed in that time. Is that healthy?
Well, I'm not sure what the rating numbers mean (8.0 out of what? 10, with 10 being the worst? 2.5 out of 5? Or 2.5 particles per million, billion... etc). And you know why I don't know? 20 years of living in Grants Pass and I never had to "worry" about the air quality, and now living in the Portland-Beaverton-Vancouver metropolitan area, I still don't have to worry about it.

But inversions sometimes occur, more often in winter. Right now we're actually having one in Portland/Vancouver and perhaps that's the case in GP right now. It causes all the woodsmoke and car pollution to get trapped in the valley. And it is easily trapped since GP is surrounded on ALL sides by the large, beautiful Siskiyou Mountains.

I also remember having hazy air and red sunsets when the Biscuit fire scorched the Kalmiopsis Wilderness just a few miles south of town a number of years ago. A couple years after that the smoke from some giant wildfire(s) in California worked its way up to the Rogue Valley. That was miserable simply because we were missing out on the clear blue summer skies. It might as well have been thick, grey, winter clouds and fog, but it was reddish brown and in the summer.

Now sometimes I've noticed when I go down there to visit my folks in the summer, there is a bit of haze in the air that faintly reminds me of my regular childhood visits to Los Angeles. There is just no explanation other than the extreme population growth in the area and lack of DEQ emissions testing in Josephine County like there is in neighboring Medford. But it is barely noticeable and obviously the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality doesn't worry about it or else they'd make Grants Pass residents go do the testing. I will also mention that there are no large factories or really much of any kind of manufacturing going on--the economy is overwhelmingly healthcare-, service-, and tourism-based.

Last edited by backdrifter; 12-07-2011 at 04:59 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM

158 posts, read 517,179 times
[quote=backdrifter;22014800]Well, I'm not sure what the rating numbers mean (8.0 out of what? 10, with 10 being the worst? 2.5 out of 5? Or 2.5 particles per million, billion... etc). And you know why I don't know? 20 years of living in Grants Pass and I never had to "worry" about the air quality, and now living in the Portland-Beaverton-Vancouver metropolitan area, I still don't have to worry about it.

But inversions sometimes occur, more often in winter. Right now we're actually having one in Portland/Vancouver and perhaps that's the case in GP right now. It causes all the woodsmoke and car pollution to get trapped in the valley. And it is easily trapped since GP is surrounded on ALL sides by the large, beautiful Siskiyou Mountains.

I also remember having hazy air and red sunsets when the Biscuit fire scorched the Kalmiopsis Wilderness just a few miles south of town a number of years ago. A couple years after that the smoke from some giant wildfire(s) in California worked its way up to the Rogue Valley. That was miserable simply because we were missing out on the clear blue summer skies. It might as well have been thick, grey, winter clouds and fog, but it was reddish brown and in the summer

Slowink answers:
Scales rated at 1 through 10 are a general scale used for pain by most hospitals. I have been in and out of he hospital quite frequently lately.
I assumed that everyone would understand the standard 1 out of 10 scale.
The 2.5 out of 10 is on that same schedule. That's why I said, "That's" terrible. The overall 8.0 out of 10 is good, however the 2.5 out of 10,
is not. Carbon Monoxide cuts off oxygen to your Brain, it can also make
one suffocate. The Germans never worried about Hitler until they started
loosing the war. Happy Pearl Harbor Day. I salute you, If you are ex-
Military. I am.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I live about 12 miles NW of Grants Pass. I know there are many knowledgeable folks that could and would give you the answers that you're looking for. Where did you post your question? I didn't see it.
I think that the fog that we experience sometimes ( like this past week or so), will probably hold the smoke from the wood stoves pretty close to the ground. I don't mind the smell, although it probably isn't good for me.
I'm going to see if I can find your post.
Hope you find your answers!

The last time I posted it was yesterday in uncategorized, Under, "Air Quality in Grants Pass." Thanks for your interest. Slowink

Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,166 times
How do you post in un-categorized? Is it under the Oregon heading? I can't find it..

Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowink View Post
The last time I posted it was yesterday in uncategorized, Under, "Air Quality in Grants Pass." Thanks for your interest. Slowink
I have no idea what you did, but you didn't post here. Go to

//www.city-data.com/forum/oregon/

Near the top of the page, just under the Eugene Area and Portland sub-fora there is a "New Thread" button. Click it and write your question. Don't forget to save your work.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Thank you all for your responses, I believe you and others have answered my questions. It is hard for
me to decide if it's worth the risks of leaving and area with low quality air in general and move at 67 to
an area where the overall air quality is good, but the air inversions causes a stalemate and holds the carbon-monoxide levels to the ground for such long periods.

I quess one could install an air purification system in the home and just stay there until the air started
to clear? I do really like the area and it's quite a bit closer to my children and grandchildren. Guess
we'll have to do some more investigating. Merry Christmas, to All. Slowink

Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM

we will be making our second trip to Grants Pass this August, our third trip in Late September. I am wondering if there will be enough of a change in the climate in that short time? Are there any Old timers clubs or somewhere one can go to talk with some of the town folk while we are there?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Thank you all for your replies to the above inquiry. It makes me feel so welcome in your community. I don't know what I have done to receive this ignorance, but it definitely has caused me some distress. Thank you Grants Pass, Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon