U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM

93 posts, read 160,590 times

Advertisements

we are retiring, so jobs are not an issue, other than our wishing that everyone who wanted to work could find a job.

Just opinions from those who have lived there, or been there enough to know firsthand, please.

Are there gangs in Bend? How about Eagle Point. The C-D index shows bend to be a higher crime index, but below national avg. Eagle Point, is lower yet.

About climate ... looks like on paper that Bend is a LOT colder in the winter, as well as having much more overcast (a nice word for gloom!).

Whatever you can tell us would be nice.

Thanks.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM

455 posts, read 890,589 times
Bend is a safe place, just steer clear of the NE side as that is where most of the crime takes place. Bend weather is constantly changing from cloudy to sunny and back. Snow on the ground is common late fall through mid spring. Day times temps low 20's to mid 40's are typical.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,401,188 times
Eagle Point / Medford are both big retirement areas. Good medical services in Medford. I would actually expect more gloom in Eagle Point, as it gets some of the Rogue Valley fog in winter. Bend is colder, but a bit sunnier in winter. The big negative with Bend for me is the very cold nights (20s-30s) in early fall and late spring. I don't care about winter-should be cold then. Tough on gardens and would make for nippy mornings. Very beautiful area though. The dirt on Eagle Point and the whole Rogue Valley is poison oak! I start festering just thinking about it!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM

505 posts, read 2,026,368 times
Wow! Those are 2 totally different places! Eagle Point is a small town, but 20-ish minutes away from Medford, more of a small city. I'd say Medford and Bend are similar in size and "amenities". But both have much different weather. Bend is more arid, and colder in the winter and nights, but sunnier in the winter. It's also higher elevation, and further north. You'll be off the big I-5 corridor, so I'd suspect there would be less gang activity there than in Medford. But I've never lived in Bend, so I'm not speaking from experience. I lived in Medford for 15+ years, and during that time there was more and more gang activity, but from what I've heard, nothing, compared to California.

Huge generalization here, but Bend is more "upscale", chic, closer to Portland, more money, vs Medford, which is more blue collar, live off the land. But as mentioned, Medford has attracted many retirees, especially from California, and of course will be closer to CA. I think it has a bigger airport, if that's a concern. Medford also is a county that has tons of public land, so little tax base, so public services has been hit hard since the timber industry has been in decline. But it's a great place to hike and get out into the woods. But so is Bend...

HTH

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 AM

93 posts, read 160,590 times
Default We are watching both areas.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Wow! Those are 2 totally different places! Eagle Point is a small town, but 20-ish minutes away from Medford, more of a small city. I'd say Medford and Bend are similar in size and "amenities". But both have much different weather. Bend is more arid, and colder in the winter and nights, but sunnier in the winter. It's also higher elevation, and further north. You'll be off the big I-5 corridor, so I'd suspect there would be less gang activity there than in Medford. But I've never lived in Bend, so I'm not speaking from experience. I lived in Medford for 15+ years, and during that time there was more and more gang activity, but from what I've heard, nothing, compared to California.

Huge generalization here, but Bend is more "upscale", chic, closer to Portland, more money, vs Medford, which is more blue collar, live off the land. But as mentioned, Medford has attracted many retirees, especially from California, and of course will be closer to CA. I think it has a bigger airport, if that's a concern. Medford also is a county that has tons of public land, so little tax base, so public services has been hit hard since the timber industry has been in decline. But it's a great place to hike and get out into the woods. But so is Bend...

HTH
First, thanks for the reply........

Its mostly the weather, that is of concern. When you reach my age, its about the brain writing checks that the body can't cash. I can say, (from a warm room in my home that is called 'the office'), "gee! Millions of people live in climates just like or even more extreme than Bend, and so can I. It'll just take a little acclimation. But when it comes to living in a place where temps can stay in the 20's for a week or two at a time, its different than talking about it.

So, armed with that knowledge, we are still liking the Bend area, but we are also looking hard at Eagle Point or Medford.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,370 times
Default You can do a LOT better than Eagle Pt !

Be sure to check how "friendly" the town services are.
Eagle Point is terribly stuffy and unfriendly in the town services, and extremely aggressive in collections and police. Had we known how they act we would have not moved here. You might not want to either.

Some examples:
The police hide an constantly snag people doing 25 in there 20mph zones thru town, and hide to trap folks coming in and out of subdivisions for very minor infractions. Its very hard to get around without having to go mostly thru very slow speed limits, slower than really necessary it seems.

The water dept is at the city and tolerates very little tardiness we discovered. They jump at any excuse to hit you with exhorbitant fees and charges. We are retired and do travel a lot and often get a month behind. We got home the other day and pretty much collapsed to the warmth and comfort of our little home, when suddenly the water was turned off. We thought without warning, but they had actually posted a note on the door the day before, 1 day warning on a bill only 30 days out. We had to rush down to avoid the weekend without water. Our new bill along with the arrears was only $80 but they then charged another $40 service fee and another $40 disconnect fee. Ouch. Basically a 100% fee terriby high.

I guess they thought we would take the house and run. Possibly they are just gouging residents every way they can to pay there fat salaries and bonus'

Im not sure about the action in Bend but would suggest you avoid
Eagle Point. Nearby are several other smallish towns that are essentially also suburbs of Medford that are much more proactive in trying to attract and keep residents. They charge normal late fees and wont cut anyone off until the 60-90 day range. They must be doing other things right as well as they smile and laugh a lot in the office, and seem very content.
Check out Talent, Central Point, Shady Cove, White City, even Grants Pass. I think you will be much happier in the long run by avoiding Eagle Point.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM

480 posts, read 2,296,596 times
Cold is relative. I just came back from a week in Portland and found the humid cold much worse than our dry cold here in Bend. Mind you, it can get really cold here, but dressing in layers takes care of that. We are having a week of cloudy weather right now, with some rain interspersed. The snow is pretty much gone (but will be back). This is a great place to retire,especially if you are active. Oh, for those who say to stay away from NE Bend - that is not really fair. There are some places I wouldn't want to live in but there are also some lovely neighborhoods in NE Bend. We don't really have a gang problem, but we certainly have property crimes and we have meth problems (as everyone does). We've lived here 6 years and feel very safe

Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 PM

86 posts, read 240,811 times
Hi Bendite, could you (or anyone) give a quick rundown of Bend neighborhoods? My wife and I are heavily considering moving there and aside from the west vs east comparisons, we haven't found much detailed info comparing the areas of Bend. Generalities are fine, and we'll be visiting to get a feel for the areas, but would love to get some feedback from residents. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon