Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 AM

2 posts, read 13,127 times

Advertisements

I know that they are ALL cold to me, I am an AZ native, but is there
one place that is a little more sunny and a little warmer out of all the
choices?

My guy prefers the coast and I love it, but I am definitely a sunshine
freak, and CA is out of the question he said, so yes, I WILL
adapt, but he has given me the option of picking a town or 2 to look
in in either Ore. or WA.

We are retired and in our 50's and do not give a hoot about night life
or shopping or cities. Just peace and the ocean.

THANK YOU in advance for any help.

Last edited by MovingFromAZ2; 01-21-2011 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: Adding a little more info.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:36 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,954 times
Sequim and the San Juan islands of WA tend to be in a banana belt.

However if you're a "sunshine freak" and want warm you've simply chosen the wrong part of the country.

I would rethink CA and take a look at the San Diego area.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM

639 posts, read 1,598,761 times
davefr is right, there aren't any coastal towns around here that could ever be described as sunny. There are one or two places that are gloomy and grey less often than others but still wouldn't say they were warm exactly.

You'll need to look in the southern Oregon coast, closer to California... maybe Gold Beach or Brookings.

good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Brookings is known as our coastal banana belt. Search for threads on Gold Beach and Brookings. That said, there is no beach town from San Francisco north that could be described as sunny.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Brookings if you don't need jobs. You'll like it if coastal living is your wish. If you don't need a job we would love to have you in Coos Bay also. Do like I did. I have a place in SunSites/Pierce Arizona and the Oregon Coast.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromAZ2 View Post

in in either Ore. or WA.

If you are a sunshine freak, are you sure you will adapt? Honestly, I would talk with your guy again and see if you can come up with a better solution. I say this because I myself was raised in sunny Colorado. I've lived in Central Oregon, Bend, for over 2 years and I'm finding Bend hard to adapt to, and we are in the sunny part of Oregon! The coast is a whole different ballgame. I've spent weekends here and there on the coast and it's very rare to have more than one sunny, cloudless day in a row in my experience. It's also pretty cold, even in the summer. It's very rare to get days above 75 and more often than not, it's cool, especially by Arizona standards. If you are constantly trying just to adapt, this could put a huge strain on your relationship.

If you are convinced you will move to a coastal town in OR or WA, then I would definitely take Steve's advice and keep a place in AZ as well. Come about December or January you will be ready to spend a few months in the sun!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,701 times
Asking if there is a PNW coastal town that is warmer than the others is like asking if one of these desert towns is hotter than the others: Gila Bend, Bullhead City or Yuma. Technically, the answer is "yes," but it is a matter of an incremental degree that would probably go unnoticed and certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor given the other considerations.

One thing to understand about the immediate coast is that the weather at any given time can vary by 10-15 degrees within a mile or two. So a favorable microclimate in a city that is cooler, on a statistical average, might be more comfortable than a breezy less-protected site in a town with higher averages. Exactly what neighborhood you live in can make a big difference.

When looking through the CD data for cloud cover, what you want to avoid is a "valley profile" where the yellow portion of the graph has a funnel shape indicating that the cloud cover only dips below 50% for a brief period from early July to early September...if that. Compare the cloud cover profiles of Coos Bay to San Luis Obispo. That fairly flat profile where the dark purple quotient of cloud cover never exceeds 40% at any time of the year is what you're looking for. High profiles of purple are going to be sheer misery for you.

Coos Bay, OR

San Luis Obsipo, CA

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 01-21-2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromAZ2 View Post
I know that they are ALL cold to me, I am an AZ native, but is there
one place that is a little more sunny and a little warmer out of all the
choices?

in in either Ore. or WA.

We are retired and in our 50's and do not give a hoot about night life
or shopping or cities. Just peace and the ocean.

THANK YOU in advance for any help.
I grew up in coos bay OR and lived in both OR and WA until I was 30.
as a collective whole weather in the PAC-NW sucks........particularly on the coast. I've seen many Californians including some of my family members retire up there only to hate it after a year or two. A few winters in the PAC-NW can really break you if your used to seeing the sun.
being that your from the desert you will most likely not do well in that kind of climate. If your guy is set on the coast I would suggest taking a better look at CA. If CA is out of your price range then I would take a good look at coastal living in FL or maybe even TX which is were I ended up.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM

51 posts, read 144,716 times
Maybe Sequim Port Angeles, Port Townsend in Washington.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
There is a difference between less rain, and sunny days. I lived on the Kitsap Penninsula for 15 years, Port Townsend is not my idea of a sunny place. Sequim is OK but Brookings would be better, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon