Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 49,431 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job in Mt. Hood and I'm trying to figure out where we would live. I'm not sure what to think about Estacada, as I've read some positives and negatives. Mapquest says that it would take an hour to get from Oregon City into Mt. Hood. Is that accurate? Would living in Oregon City be worth the commute? Other areas we should consider that would offer some cultural activities and some diversity? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Do you mean Mt. Hood or Hood River? Hood River is a town. Mt. Hood is a mountain. There are a few small towns on Mt. Hood. Hood River is on the Columbia at the mouth of the Hood River Valley, on the north east side of Mt. Hood. Oregon City and Estacada are on the west side of Mt. Hood. There are a few small hamlets at the base of Mt. Hood: Mt. Hood Village, Welches, Zigzag and Rhododendron, and Government Camp on the mountain itself. Parkdale is on the east slope, and closer to Hood River.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Either way, Estacada or Oregon City are poor choices. Check out Sandy or Hood River.
I would much rather live in Hood River than Oregon City. IMHO there just is not enough attraction to living there to be worth the commute to Mt. Hood.
Your route would be I205 north to US26 east then through Sandy and all the little towns liike Welches etc.
It would get real tiresome real quick to do that everyday.
If your job is actually on Mt. Hood, either Sandy or Hood River would work, If your job is in Hood River, well.................................guess.
Estacada or Oregon City are just to far away or have poor dependable (if you are inclined to take National Forest back road adventures) access in the winter.
Unless you like to relax on your two hour commute back home in going home traffic on freeways.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-28-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM

The job I'm looking at is in the Mt. Hood National Forest. It's about 25 miles past Estacada on 224. Hood River probably wouldn't work, but Sandy would be an option. What about Gresham? Is there much rush hour traffic? I would be moving from DC, and I'm not really sure what to expect. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
From DC? Estacada wouldn't be my choice.

Sandy is a cute little town, Gresham has MAX service. I don't live near either community but rush hour traffic is usually Portland bound so you will be driving the opposite direction.

The best section on city-data for your questions would be the Portland forum. Search "Gresham" for older discussions.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbiz View Post
The job I'm looking at is in the Mt. Hood National Forest. It's about 25 miles past Estacada on 224. Hood River probably wouldn't work, but Sandy would be an option. What about Gresham? Is there much rush hour traffic? I would be moving from DC, and I'm not really sure what to expect. Thanks.
If it's 25 miles into the mountains from Estacada that means either a NFS, natural resource related, resort, campground, or working with troubled kids job.
Not much of anything up there but national forest.
Estacada is your best bet.
But don't expect anything to be like DC.
Try googlemaps and streetview to see what Esacada looks like.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-30-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 05:20 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
pdxMIKEpdx, why do you think Estacada is a better choice than Sandy?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
pdxMIKEpdx, why do you think Estacada is a better choice than Sandy?
Because if the job is 25 miles up 224 from Estacada, it makes sense to live in Estacada (0 to 25 miles) than in Sandy (0 to 50 miles).
Estacada is right on 224.

And if the job is not seasonal, why incur the extra drag of traffic and weather in the winter.

It seems that if you are taking a job that puts you right smack dab in the middle of a National Forest, parts of which are quite remote, you wouldn't/don't care about urban ameneties, and Estacada, as small as it is, would suffice.
If you want the big city, you can go there on the weekends.

Given that, if you lived in Sandy, and had to travel everyday 25 miles past Estacada to go to work, you might as well as live in Portland proper, you wouldn't add that much to your commute.

Besides the whole route from Portland to Sandy on US26 is getting quite congested. Sandy is no longer considered the small, isolated, close to Mt Hood town as it has been in the past.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbiz View Post
Oh my, your world is about to change. I would have a hard time finding two communities farther apart than DC and Estacada. You may want to tell people you are from Maryland.

Estacada would be most convenient for you, but your housing choices may be limited, since it is a small town.

Pack sturdy hiking boots, rain gear, hiking shorts and a camera. Bring all your blue jeans, sweaters and sweat shirts. Put most of your city duds in storage, except for 3 or 4 "go to town" outfits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon