U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM

65 posts, read 184,890 times

Advertisements

my husband and i just moved to coos bay oregon in june of 2010. we absolutely love the coast and have met some great people here but its not exactly what we had in mind. we moved here from RI so we are not familiar with oregon AT ALL. wondering if anyone has any advice about what other coastal cities we might want to check out. we're looking for something where walmart isn't the main attraction, we would like a tight-knit community feel, and we understand the coast attracts tourists but we would like something that's not TOO touristy. thank you for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM

963 posts, read 2,885,341 times
I hear you. Unfortunately, small-town vacation and retirement living is what the coast specializes in. And for many of those retirees, Wal-Mart is a major attraction.

I don't think you'll find what you want on the windward side of the Coast Range. People go to the coast to get away from other people, not to build community. Try Corvallis, Silverton, McMinnville or Eugene. You'll still have the coast just an hour or so away.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM

12 posts, read 24,131 times
My husband and I are looking for a place to retire in the NW. We are currently living in Denton TX and are transplants. I was transferred 20 yrs ago from LI NY and my husband is a business owner and moved here from MN 40 yrs ago. I particularly am an active outdoorsy person and living in TX does nothing for me at all. It is a cement city, too hot and the people are pretentious with shopping and eating-out as their only means of socialization. We miss our 4 seasons especially the fall and winter. I am 55 and my husband 62.

We love the lifestyle of Vancouver, BC but is unaffordable especially now that our dollar is now equal to theirs and want to remain in the US. So, we are looking for the BC lifestyle in the states. We were seriously considering Portland Oregon because when we were there we loved the European style town. I have been reading from this site about Portland's repression and extreme liberalism. We're conservatives, but not hardcore and wondering if this too is going to be a problem.

We are looking for Condo living. We have also been to McMinville for their Pinot Nior Wine Festival and loved the event, but it's too rural to actually live there. The winery's would be a great weekend activity. My husband is a huge wine enthusiast.
Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited by taweega; 01-30-2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Looking to retire in the NW

Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taweega View Post
My husband and I are looking for a place to retire in the NW. We are currently living in Denton TX and are transplants. I was transferred 20 yrs ago from LI NY and my husband is a business owner and moved here from MN 40 yrs ago. I particularly am an active outdoorsy person and living in TX does nothing for me at all. It is a cement city, too hot and the people are pretentious with shopping and eating-out as their only means of socialization. We miss our 4 seasons especially the fall and winter. I am 55 and my husband 62.

We love the lifestyle of Vancouver, BC but is unaffordable especially now that our dollar is now equal to theirs and want to remain in the US. So, we are looking for the BC lifestyle in the states. We were seriously considering Portland Oregon because when we were there we loved the European style town. I have been reading from this site about Portland's repression and extreme liberalism. We're conservatives, but not hardcore and wondering if this too is going to be a problem.

We are looking for Condo living. We have also been to McMinville for their Pinot Nior Wine Festival and loved the event, but it's too rural to actually live there. The winery's would be a great weekend activity. My husband is a huge wine enthusiast.
Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks.
I would start a new thread as none of the areas you are considering are on the coast.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM

Thank you Brenda. This is my first posting so how do I start a new thread?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Go back to the main Oregon page. At the top you'll see the regional sub-forums: Eugene area and Portland. Below that is the main Oregon forum. Right in between those two is a blue button that says "new thread." Click on that.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks Brenda!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM

Default coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I hear you. Unfortunately, small-town vacation and retirement living is what the coast specializes in. And for many of those retirees, Wal-Mart is a major attraction.

I don't think you'll find what you want on the windward side of the Coast Range. People go to the coast to get away from other people, not to build community. Try Corvallis, Silverton, McMinnville or Eugene. You'll still have the coast just an hour or so away.
thanks for the response. would you be able to recommend some nice neighborhoods within coos bay? we're trying to stay away from newmark ave. and we've been told to avoid bunker hill.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Default Looking for pleasant community in western Oregon

My husband and I would like to move to a city/town in western Oregon where there is a real sense of community. A place where teenage boys still help old ladies across the street type of community. We do not have any children ourselves but if we did have a family we would like to belong to a community where values and morals are important. We currently live in Coos Bay, Oregon and we are definitely lacking in values here. I know we live in different times but I have faith these communities still exist. Thank you in advance for any advice or information anyone may have for us.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,741,198 times
Tacomaboundtoo, that would be nice to find, but today being what it is you'll find problems in any town you reside in, I think thats becoming the nature of the beast. In a small town you still have the same problems of larger towns, just scaled down a little. We live in Medford, it's not a small town by Southern Oregon standards and you can still find friendly people who will greet you on the street, but we have our share of problems also. If it's a small town atmosphere your searching for, there are plenty of small towns on the west side of the Cascades. I grew up in Oakland, Ore, it was the town you described, but that was back in the 50's, today I don't think it the same. Good luck on your quest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon