Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM

45 posts, read 90,991 times

Advertisements

The only thing that will get you through the long, long, long wet winters is by keeping some cold steel in your mouth.

http://nobullfourwheelclub.com/dsarms_e0.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrebel66 View Post
The only thing that will get you through the long, long, long wet winters is by keeping some cold steel in your mouth.
What does this mean?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM

45 posts, read 90,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What does this mean?
You know, hold the barrel in there and hope it stops raining before you have the guts to pull the trigger.

That is how I cope anyways.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrebel66 View Post
You know, hold the barrel in there and hope it stops raining before you have the guts to pull the trigger.

That is how I cope anyways.
I thought it might be something like that. I find that taking wild Alaskan salmon (sockeye preferably) supplements helps some...when I remember to do so.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM

230 posts, read 623,183 times
I'm popping in to this older thread, because I find the SAD discussion to be so interesting. I was a transplant to the Pacific Northwest 9 years ago. I thought.. "I love Rain! this will be great!" And it was for the first two years... but for many people with SAD or an aversion to 9 months of gray skies and drizzle, it takes three years to fully lose the novelty of the new area, and feel the effects of lack of sunshine. Many people have SAD who have grown up in the PNW, and others who grew up where it was sunny, develop it after moving here.

But here's the thing that people seem to misunderstand. I have SAD, and I can tell you that it's not about disliking the rain. I love rainy days. It's not about finding things to do, or dancing in the rain, or putting on music. SAD is an actual condition, it's not like an attitude adjustment. Your body's circadian schedule gets completely derailed by the lack of seratonin production. It's not something we can snap out of of, and not something that you can control by having a good attitude.

You have three choices: take drugs for it. use a lightbox. or move. I've told myself that I refuse to live somewhere that I have to take Prozac just to get through 9 months out of the year. Or sit in front of a light box. I think it's nature's way of telling you that you don't belong there. Because SAD comes from our caveman days and has not disappeared in everyone, evolutionarily, it's probably best to move further South.

And word of caution to people that move to the PNW thinking that they "love rainy days!" It's not the same. It's not the rain. It's the gloom and the dark for weeks and weeks on end. Some people can handle it and love it. Some people don't prefer it, but they can totally be busy with other things and consider it something they put up with for the benefits, and then others with SAD feel literally sick because of it. You can't know until you're in the PNW for at least three years...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM

53 posts, read 97,130 times
I am moving out of Salem after the new year. My family and I are moving to Gilbert, Arizona. I can handle the heat if it means sunshine for more than just 3 months out of the year. I have lived in Salem since 2004 and the 9 months a year of grey skies gets to me more and more each year. When I first moved here, I loved rain and storms and even grey skies - because I had only experienced them in moderation before. Once I moved to a place where majority of the year was filled with this rainy & grey-sky weather, I started to like it less and less every year, until after the 3rd or 4th year, when I started absolutely hating it. I have been miserable here in Salem for the last 2 years - not *only* because of the weather, but that's a big part of it. When my whole family has to continually take Vitamin-D supplements because of the lack of sunshine...it's time to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon