Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,989 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm a 25 year old former grocery store overnight supervisor now unemployed. I live in Allentown, PA. What I've always been wanting to do is to relocate some place.

With all the research I've done, some of the places I was attracted to in order are; Oregon/Washington, North Cali, New England, Vancouver or Ontario Canada. I chose Oregon first because I think it would be the easiest.

First reason being, theyre all tolerant towards medical marijuana. If I move, especially cross country its going to be to 1 of the 15 med marijuana states.

Second, these places all have low crime. Allentown was #86 on last years Most Dangerous Cities list with the rest of the list being a lot of cities that surround Allentown.

Third reason is nature and scenery. I love the outdoors. I want to be somewhere with a coastline and beaches thats close by. The forest is a huge plus too.

Weather. Oregon seems to be in my comfort zone. I dont mind the cold but I hate shoveling and de-icing things and driving on icey roads. Anywhere that doesnt snow a lot with fog or rain instead is a plus. I like the gloomy weather.

I would want to move to a place thats close to a community college and nice size town with all the ammenities ie nightlife, things to do. So many towns look appealing but I dont know where to start comparing. Someone help! I need to go some place cheap and mainly around nicer people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Nothing in Oregon is cheap. Washington isn't cheap either. Community college with nightlife would be Portland or Eugene. Since Eugene has U of O you could probably find a roommate situation to keep things cheap.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgeir View Post
First reason being, theyre all tolerant towards medical marijuana. If I move, especially cross country its going to be to 1 of the 15 med marijuana states.

Second, these places all have low crime. Allentown was #86 on last years Most Dangerous Cities list with the rest of the list being a lot of cities that surround Allentown.
Huh? Have you ever even been here? Sounds like another movie-in-the-mind dreamer. See fourth post on this page //www.city-data.com/forum/orego...ng-home-4.html

Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,989 times
Thanks Silver, I figured it could be the same cost of living in certain areas of Oregon considering the high minimum wage and no sales tax thing. They seem to have a much bigger small business market than anywhere in PA. Were owned by McDonalds and Wal-Mart.

Relocating right away to a place I havent been wouldnt be smart. I definitely did have preconceived notions or imaginary assumptions I was building in my head about the state. The most appealing thing to me is the demographics. I know a few people who have been there and say its so much better than here but I guess its easy to think some place else would be better than here. Any place is better than here once you get away from lil San Juan. Oregon doesnt have a 25% and rapidly rising hispanic population taking over but apparently a lot of people think that native oregonians are pretty smug to outsiders, exactly how Canada was for me. Theres a few videos I watched on why Oregon sucks. I'm not that easily influenced though but it seems its best to be from Oregon if you want to live there.

Most of the homeless population thats there arent even from the state. I also didnt know so many people look to the pacific northwest like they do with Cali, thinking everythings going to be better than where theyre at. I just really want to get out of Allentown and around more socially diverse and modern upbeat culture without having to be in a busy city, I guess if I want that I'd pretty much have to stay on the East Coast and or in a big city like Philly, Pittsburgh. Out of all the places I've been, far north as Ontario and down south to South Carolina, Id have to definitely say SC had friendliest people but everything else kinda sucked. I'm also very white and very german looking so that could have been why. If I had a tan and an afro I might have not been so welcome lol. Non french canadians were very nice probably considering most of them arent even from Canada since I didnt travel too far outside of Tourist Land, Niagara. I dont know, I guess I should just start traveling places rather than do bookworm research.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:33 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Maybe check into Salem or you might prefer to live in a suburb of it. Has a community college. Moderate size, moderate crime. Some nightlife and in between Portland and Eugene if you want other options.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Maybe check into Salem or you might prefer to live in a suburb of it. Has a community college. Moderate size, moderate crime. Some nightlife and in between Portland and Eugene if you want other options.

We are cheaper for sure, but our nightlife is non-existent. OP wants a modern upbeat culture. That's Portland.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Just what we need. Another unemployeed Pot Head. Medical or otherwise it is still illegal.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Just what we need. Another unemployeed Pot Head. Medical or otherwise it is still illegal.

LOL!!!! Yes why is a 25yr old who makes no mention of any health issues so concerned about "medical marijuana"....please.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
+1

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Oh dear, I was afraid some people would take "Portlandia" seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon