Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 AM

161 posts, read 387,506 times

Advertisements

My family is considering Oregon to move to in about 2 years. Can you tell me a little about what you think is the best city to live in Oregon?!!!
We're looking for a slow paced life, low crime, family oriented and +- close to the ocean.
Thanks for your help!!!!

Oh... If you would please let us know about the weather there well!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
The coastal cities have a lot of retired people living in them. Plus they get a lot of tourists. If you live on the coast the temperatures are seldom extreme. You will get quite a bit of rain during winter and spring. Right now it's nice.

If I were to pick the best town in Oregon I'd have to go with Ashland, but you'll pay a big price for it.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:48 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,434 times
Any town in Oregon will have low crime and a slow pace. The coastal area is nice and as Waterlily pointed, temps don't get extreme however the winter weather can get crazy (and fun if you like rain and wind).

Old 07-22-2007, 11:15 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
If money were no issue at all, and I was retired or had a small business out of the winter rain, I'd pick near Cannon Beach or Seaside.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM

11 posts, read 115,897 times
Default Canby, Oregon City, Florence, Astoria

Hello:

I live in Portland, Oregon, which is about an hour from the coast, and two small communities around Portland are very charming. Canby and Oregon City are very close to Portland yet have a small town feel and appeal.

Astoria is a larger community on the Northern coast of Oregon and is more reasonably priced as is Florence on the central Oregon coast. (My favorite town on the Oregon Coast.) Cannon Beach is charming but VERY expensive. Manzanita is very close to Cannon Beach and is a GREAT place to visit but has gotten outrageously expensive, as well.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 38,247 times
I am a single mom, wanting to move to Oregon. I too would like a low crime area, slower pace, and good schools. Does anyone know anything about the elementary and high school in Canby or Oregon City? I was kinda leaning towards Wilsonville also. Any info would be great. If you know of an area with plentiful jobs with reasonable rent, That would be great to know also.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM

59 posts, read 227,889 times
There are no plentiful jobs in Oregon at the present time imo, unless it would be in the high tech area. Plentiful jobs on or near the coast, no way.

Oregon City is basically a suburb of the Portland Metro area with all of the problems associated with a larger city.

The cost of living is higher that what you experience in Idaho.

Astoria and Seaside are virtual neighbors and the other coastal cities provided to you are good selections, provided you have the expenses to cover the cost of living.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 40,722 times
Hi, we are looking to move from Reno, Nv to Hermiston, Or. Does anyone have any information or input about Hermiston? We have small children and being in a safe place is at the top of our list.

Thank you

Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 AM

136 posts, read 998,421 times
Default Why Hermiston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiphani4 View Post
Hi, we are looking to move from Reno, Nv to Hermiston, Or. Does anyone have any information or input about Hermiston? We have small children and being in a safe place is at the top of our list.

Thank you
I think Oregon has so many attractive places to live....why are you choosing Hermiston??? You will be in the midst of the dumping ground for all of Oregon's 'out of sight-out of mind' waste and polution issues. The air quality is the worst in the state, massive dariy operations in place and continuing to come in (have you been here yet to smell the stench?), our nations chemical weapons will continue to be 'disposed of' for a number of years to come within 10-15 miles of downtown Hermiston and now there are safety issues/school problems with gangs taking up residence in Hermiston due to all the illegal immigrants that the local industrial daries and food processors employ. I would encourage you to look elsewhere and I sincerely hope that you do.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

152 posts, read 530,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahomommy View Post
I am a single mom, wanting to move to Oregon. I too would like a low crime area, slower pace, and good schools. Does anyone know anything about the elementary and high school in Canby or Oregon City? I was kinda leaning towards Wilsonville also. Any info would be great. If you know of an area with plentiful jobs with reasonable rent, That would be great to know also.
canby has a growing gang problem
Oregon city has a large school system maybe more jobs
wilsonville has good schools but high rent and housing cost. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon