Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I didn't know that.

Do you have any evidence that Oregon's east is a Bible belt? Can you point me to some information that verifies this, or are you just guessing?
There are little pockets of Christians all over the state, so they might be more noticeable in small Eastern Oregon towns. However, you might remember that the Rajneeshes were able to take over the church in Antelope just by showing up for services. There wasn't anyone left who cared what happened to the building.

It was a rolling scam back in the '70s that two dozen people would move into a small community, join a moribund church, take over the board, sell the property, pocket the money and move on to try it again. It's perfectly legal to liquidate a church, as long as you pay taxes on the proceeds. Most small, dying or almost dead, churches deeded the property to their parent organizations to prevent that kind of scam.

I think Southern Oregon has the lock on bible beaters, but even there they are a minority. Pot lucks just can't compete with all the great outdoor activities available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There are little pockets of Christians all over the state, so they might be more noticeable in small Eastern Oregon towns. However, you might remember that the Rajneeshes were able to take over the church in Antelope just by showing up for services. There wasn't anyone left who cared what happened to the building.

It was a rolling scam back in the '70s that two dozen people would move into a small community, join a moribund church, take over the board, sell the property, pocket the money and move on to try it again. It's perfectly legal to liquidate a church, as long as you pay taxes on the proceeds. Most small, dying or almost dead, churches deeded the property to their parent organizations to prevent that kind of scam.

I think Southern Oregon has the lock on bible beaters, but even there they are a minority. Pot lucks just can't compete with all the great outdoor activities available.
Possible.

But I don't think they are the minority. Maybe fifty fifty.

Applegate Christian Fellowship is across from us. I just found an article on it and Jon Coursen this week, stating that it had attendance of 8,000 in 2002, but now at 3,000.

Not really a defection. They've worked hard to move groups from it out to satellite churches in Medford and Grants Pass because the number of people coming to Applegate Valley was too enormous.

So they had 3 times the population of the City of Jacksonville in just that one church building's weekly services alone.

About seventy percent of the people I end up working for down here, happen to be regular members of one local church or another.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 AM

177 posts, read 969,633 times
Larry- Another reason they were able to take over the church is that they outnumbered the citizens who lived there. I lived in The Dalles (close by) when the rajneesh were in Antelope. Their downfall was trying to poison the people of The Dalles before a local election (remember the salmonella poisoning?) to get their candidate elected. It backfired and eventually they were forced out of the country.
Side note: if you go to The Dalles now, over 20yrs later there are still VERY few salad bars in the restaurants.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 115,897 times
Default Oregon is lovely

You have asked a very thoughtful question and I hope you find what you are looking for. I moved to Oregon 13 years ago from a medium sized city in Iowa and have loved every moment I have spent enjoying the landscape, the people, the food, and of course (can I say it again?) the LANDSCAPE.

I have travelled quite a bit in my life and this place just looks AND smells terrific. You walk in the woods ANYWHERE in this great state and it just smells good and clean and pristine. It does rain but most often it is broken by gorgeous days of sunshine and plump white clouds. Honestly, Western Oregon (in particular, Portland, where I live) is easy living. Temperate weather, amazing restaurants, friendly people, a variety of neighborhoods with amenities within walking distance, great parks, good schools and charter schools, GREAT libraries, lots of little shops, farmers markets, etc. etc. It is a great place to live and raise a family and learn on a regular basis. Classes are available at a variety of schools; arts, crafts, technology, community college, four year colleges, etc.

Great place to live and I have two small children who love it, too.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon