Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoregonterritory View Post
trixie09, I moved to a cute, little town 7 miles south of Eugene called Creswell. In Creswell I found my "Mayberry, U.S.A" and when I want the bigger city amenities I take a beautiful, scenic, short 7 mile drive to the Eugene/Springfield metro area.

The only issue I have with Creswell is an issue I can do nothing to resolve--seven months of cloudy/rainy days. But no place is perfect!
Thanks! I was curious where you chose to relocate. I have close family in Portland and Eugene, and am presently in the Puget Sound area, and wanting to be close to family in Oregon. Creswell has been on my radar, as has Corvallis and Eugene. I love the amenities of Eugene, have spent a ton of time there, but not sure I want the whole enchilada. Corvallis feels like a small version of it for me, but the lack of rentals for a non-student (with a dog) is pretty bleak there. I will check out Creswell. I've always chosen to live in smallish towns near a bigger town's amenities.

Oh, and what's up with the fervent anti-pet attitude with rentals not in the Portland area? It actually hurts my heart when I see ads for places that put "no smoking, no drugs, no pets!" I had no idea owning a wonderful 35 lb dog is akin to being a drug addict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Oh, and what's up with the fervent anti-pet attitude with rentals not in the Portland area? It actually hurts my heart when I see ads for places that put "no smoking, no drugs, no pets!" I had no idea owning a wonderful 35 lb dog is akin to being a drug addict.
I think the "no pets" thing is because landlords can be picky about to whom they rent due to the shortage of good apartments and the abundance of people who want them.

They are just giving themselves an extra guarantee that pet damage won't happen. I don't believe they are lumping pet owners in with drug addicts. I wouldn't take offense at that.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 AM

420 posts, read 877,808 times
I lived there for a short while. And it appears that as of yet, the nearest Walmart is at
3290 S Santiam Hwy in Lebanon. Meanwhile, here is a crime thread link that might help...

//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...-albany-4.html

Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I had no idea owning a wonderful 35 lb dog is akin to being a drug addict.
When it comes to annoying your neighbors, yes. In fact, the dog is frequently worse.

My last apartment had a no pets policy. My neighbors got permission to have two dogs anyway (the other people in the building were, of course, not consulted at all on this). It quickly turned into nonstop barking, crap all over the grass, random bits of screaming when the guy who lived there got mad at the dogs and went crazy, etc.

Now certainly most pet owners aren't like that, but the few bad ones ruin it for everyone else.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 PM
GHF

16 posts, read 43,754 times
There is a part of Albany that is in Benton County and it seems better; it is also closer to Corvallis, where you can find better shopping and more things to do.

I have lived in Corvallis in the past and loved it. It is higher priced and I believe taxes are higher, but the schools are generally better and it is more diverse and more to do there. As far as commuting to the new Albany Walmart, the North Albany area might work well for you. Corvallis would be kind of far, but not impossible.

After we moved to Linn County we found out it's an Oregon leader in meth production and registered sex offenders. Now we are stuck here due to the housing market and regret ever coming here. Benton County is much nicer.

Regarding landlords and pets, I think they should have to pay into a fund for animal rescue if they forbid pets in their rentals. They are responsible for the deaths of many, many nice pets each year. We are landlords and always allow pets, even though we have experienced damage because of them.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,702 times
Default Current conditions?

In reading through the threads, a lot of the information posted is several years old. Would appreciate information on the current situation in Albany in regards to crime, businesses leaving town, drug related activity, and the pros and cons of relocating to Albany? It's a toss-up between moving to Eugene or Albany.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
If you have employment in both communities pick Eugene.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
GHF

16 posts, read 43,754 times
Definitely Eugene!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Albany will give you more fwy traffic issues. Eugene area will not. I live in Eug & occasionally commute to Albany. I hate driving there. The closer I drive to Salem or Portland, the worse the traffic.

However, someone once advised me that if I wanted to invest in RE, Albany would be a great place to buy a duplex. Live on one side, rent the other to a college student. But I've also heard first hand that college students are the WORST renters EVER, in general.

I love Eugene for the present, but I would dread retiring here.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,702 times
Default Relocating to Albany.....

Thank you for your replies!

I have family both in Eugene and Corvallis, so either is an option for me, and as I am retired, the move will not be dependent on employment.

Am leaning more towards Albany due to the lower house prices and the ability to get more house for the money. My wish list includes volunteering to give back to the community, and I know that Eugene is the larger of the two so should present more choices, but with Corvallis, Lebanon, etc. close by am in hopes of opportunities perhaps in those communities.

Still wondering though about businesses leaving town and/or closing that I have read about on different threads here and availability of shopping.

Any insights into the current goings on in Albany are appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon