U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM

29 posts, read 99,402 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Brookings this spring. My boyfriend, our two kids and I want to go tent camping at Harris Beach and we are wondering if it would be too cold to do so in early March? Also is it possible to tent camp right on the beach at Harris Beach? I've also heard March is the best time for whale watching, is this true and can you do so from Harris Beach? Any info on tent camping in Brookings would be awesome. Thanks in Advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,086,423 times
Harris Beach State Park has tent sites in the campground, which is on a bluff above the beach. There is no camping on the beach, but you can see the beach from most of the park and you can walk down to it. It's a very nice state park with showers and a laundry area. I've camped there in a trailer before and the only problem is that trailer sites are difficult to get reservations for - I don't think that's as true with tent sites.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Rates

It will likely be cool and damp (even if it's not raining it's pretty damp). A quick check of weather history shows the day's high usually in the 50s somewhere, where the occasional dip into the 40s or rise into the 60s.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM

29 posts, read 99,402 times
Thanks for the info PNW-type-gal,
I'm glad to know we wont look like a bunch of idiots camping in March! We have to go sooner rather then later due to work schedules so I'm glad to hear camping on the coast in March is doable(?)!
thanks again,
hayley3b

Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,086,423 times
Just dress warm and work at keeping dry. Also look into renting a yurt at Harris Beach State Park.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 AM

37 posts, read 102,585 times
It's the Oregon coast, so it'll probably be rainy. I've actually stayed at Harris Beach before. It's really nice. I'd recommend a yurt, personally (so the rain doesn't keep you up at night). They're pretty fun to stay in 8-)

Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,460,007 times
I'd recommend Yurts also. I've spent the night in them in December at Fort Stevens and enjoyed it much more then tent camping. I've also stayed at Harris Beach myself and enjoyed it quite a bit. Another good one is Beverly Beach just north of Newport.

I'm also pretty sure that there is no camping directly on any Oregon Beach, but you can camp in the Sand Dunes further south as long as it's not within the Wildlife Refuge areas.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,615,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley3b View Post
I am planning a trip to Brookings this spring. My boyfriend, our two kids and I want to go tent camping at Harris Beach and we are wondering if it would be too cold to do so in early March? Also is it possible to tent camp right on the beach at Harris Beach? I've also heard March is the best time for whale watching, is this true and can you do so from Harris Beach? Any info on tent camping in Brookings would be awesome. Thanks in Advance!
If you can reserve, go for it. If you can cancel within 48 hours, you should not be out more than $6. Even in past summers, I've been able to get a site there without reserving, almost every time. Odds are that there will be lots of sites available if you don't reserve, with maybe exceptions of A-LOOP, primarily the ocean side of A-LOOP. That's if they reserve.

Corners sites C-3 and C-4 were really nice too, almost like a continuation of A Loop. C-3 and C-4 if I recall right, are nice size sites under some pretty hefty spruce trees, with decent length driveway big enough for two cars.

There is a nice play structure if you have kids under age 8. They have a laundry room too.

You can watch the weather. Right now its pretty cool, but it can be a lot better in March.

I've stayed there winter, spring, summer and autumn, using a tent or trailer. Have not used one of their Yurts, but have at Nehalem Bay. They are great, and have heaters and outlets too.

You almost have nothing to lose by planning the trip. Because you don't have to go if the weather turns sour.

Personally, I don't like the back side sides farthest from the ocean. I think that's the back side of B Loop. Because if its rainy or not long after it had been rainy, the sites and driveways can be sort of puddly.

What city and state are you coming from?

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-24-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon