U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM

65 posts, read 181,569 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what cities Oregonians consider to be more conservative within Oregon?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM

963 posts, read 2,803,643 times
Just about anything outside the Willamette Valley. The absence of a major university will seal the deal (much more difficult to remain captive to conservative ideals once you've been exposed to the illumination of higher education and use reason, rather than tradition, as a basis for your world view). The biggest cities that are somewhat conservative would be Medford, Grants Pass, Klamath Falls, Redmond, Baker City, Coos Bay and Pendleton.

Almost any town with a population under 10,000 will be quite conservative (provided there's no institution of higher learning there).

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 02-28-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM

48 posts, read 170,357 times
Default Cities

Usually the towns with the worst economy, highest unemployment and lowest livability are the most conservative. Do a websearch for "lowest wages" or "highest unemployment" or perhaps "lowest livability" and I'm sure you'll find conservative paradise.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I want to disagree with the above posters, but the fact is that what they're saying is true. If you want a conservative town in Oregon, you want to look at where the people are unemployed, uneducated, and isolated. A notable exception is Albany, which is not isolated (though it has the other two attributes) but is still extremely conservative.

Salem is pretty moderate, but if you're looking for some place where people drive around in their giant lifted pickup trucks with confederate battle flags painted across the back (the south shall rise again! huh?!), you're going to have to look at smaller towns like Albany and Lebanon and Sweet Home.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 AM

758 posts, read 2,214,983 times
One might toss Lake Oswego and the Portland area east of the Willamette and south of Burnside in that category, if by conservative you mean anti-tax.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,447,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs! View Post
Usually the towns with the worst economy, highest unemployment and lowest livability are the most conservative. Do a websearch for "lowest wages" or "highest unemployment" or perhaps "lowest livability" and I'm sure you'll find conservative paradise.
As much as this hurts, it's true. I'd say just about anywhere in Eastern Oregon would fit this bill.

Of course the real question is "how conservative?" The second question being, "are you retired or do you need a job?"

Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 AM

15,296 posts, read 15,323,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I want to disagree with the above posters, but the fact is that what they're saying is true. If you want a conservative town in Oregon, you want to look at where the people are unemployed, uneducated, and isolated.
Roseburg fits the description. 14.8% unemployment, 9% college graduates, and an hour and a half from anything.

You aren't going to find fanatical red state conservatism anywhere in Oregon but a few survivalist compounds, though.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 PM

65 posts, read 181,569 times
Sorry I wasn't clear on my meaning of conservative. I meant conservative as in modesty and old-fashioned values not so much politically conservative. Just wondering where people are a little more traditional and down to earth.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM

963 posts, read 2,803,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaboundtoo View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear on my meaning of conservative. I meant conservative as in modesty and old-fashioned values not so much politically conservative. Just wondering where people are a little more traditional and down to earth.
One person's "traditional and down-to-earth" is another person's "outdated and stuck-in-the mud." Unless you have a time-travel machine, you'll have to look for a place with an elderly population. Southern Florida, southern Arizona, some places in Iowa and Missouri, maybe. Much of southern Oregon has a high dosage of retirees as well, but if you want complete exclusion from the younger generation, you should really look for a 55+ only community.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
What constitutes an "old-fashioned value"?

If you just want to have polite neighbors and go to church on Sunday or whatever, you can find that almost anywhere. If you're going for complete isolation from people who don't look and behave the same as you, then you'll need to find a very small town far away from major transportation routes.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 03-09-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon